Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:43:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anna And The Apocalypse

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 16, 2019, 08:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Previously on CookdandBombd:

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on December 01, 2018, 04:06:51 PM
Just out of Anna and the Apocalypse.

It's fine....obviously made on tuppence but the songs are pretty solid and the cast give it a decent stab.  Though the decision to set it in a generic transatlantic anytown robbed it of any real sense of place which I'd been hoping would give it a really unique identity.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 02, 2018, 12:51:06 AM
That's a shame, it's been hyped up quite a lot on various sites and as I love musicals I was really looking forward to it, but will probably wait for it to come out on dvd now.

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on December 02, 2018, 07:05:25 AM
It has been a wee bit overhyped, I reckon.  It's obviously indebted to Shaun of the Dead, but just isn't punching at the same level.  The musical elements are the best bits, but the Xmas elements feel a bit grafted on, like they were added to the 3rd or 4th draft of the script in order to give it another selling point.

This has now leaked online ahead of it's official release in February 12th though right now it will only be available to download via Amazon and Itunes. Anyway, I absolutely loved it, admittedly it's the sort of thing that appeals enormously to me as I'm a huge fan of musicals and comedy horror, but I disagree with CG above and think it delivered and then some. The script is sharp and knowing (this is a zombie film where the characters actually know what zombies are for once), the songs are pretty much all lovely (with Paul Kaye's efforts surprisingly being the best) and the Christmassy element really worked for me, given how central it is to events and how it's used I don't feel it was tacked on to the script at a late point. So yeah, it's fantastic, at least if you like this sort of thing, and I'd recommend all check it out.

BlodwynPig

QuoteBut they soon discover that no one is safe in this new world, and with civilization falling apart around them, the only people they can truly rely on are each other.

hmmmm

Rev+

I enjoyed it but really don't get who it's aimed at.  It initially seems a bit Sarah Jane Adventures with an X Factor soundtrack, but then gets pretty splattery with loads of effin and jeffin.  It's rated 15, but should probably have been toned down a tiny bit and shot for a younger audience, because a lot of adults will check out in the first half-hour anyway.

Dex Sawash

Is Rex Harrison in this one too?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Rev+ on January 17, 2019, 01:33:20 AM
I enjoyed it but really don't get who it's aimed at.  It initially seems a bit Sarah Jane Adventures with an X Factor soundtrack, but then gets pretty splattery with loads of effin and jeffin.  It's rated 15, but should probably have been toned down a tiny bit and shot for a younger audience, because a lot of adults will check out in the first half-hour anyway.

I get what you mean about the start of it, the first two songs are a bit over produced and X-factory like you say, but then it becomes a really fantastic flick. If anything they should have reshot the beginning and made it bit more twisted, but then I like the fact that a seemingly mild film suddenly becomes really brutal.

I've been listening to the soundtrack all day and think Paul Kaye's song towards the end might be my favourite, he doesn't have a traditionally appealing singing voice but it just makes me smile an enormous amount - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDlvcZM0GwI

Rev+

I wasn't aware that there was a prototype short from a few years ago.  Happily, it's available:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnYddpsP67U

Small Man Big Horse

olliebean

Will I be spoiled if I watch the short before the feature?

<edit> Never mind, watched it anyway. Found it a bit dull tbh. A real shame that the big fight at the end was accompanied by a generic instrumental rock vamp rather than a kick-ass ass kicking song.

Are the songs better in the full length film? They didn't really do anything for me in the short.

Rev+

The short is its own thing really, just an earlier stab at the concept that doesn't really share the story - and I don't think any of the songs - of the film.

It's just personal taste but for the most part the songs in the full film left me pretty cold, or at least didn't have the instant memorability that you usually want from a musical.  I know I used the term 'X Factor' to describe the first couple but they are in a mix of genres, so there's that.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Rev+ on January 18, 2019, 10:47:15 PM
The short is its own thing really, just an earlier stab at the concept that doesn't really share the story - and I don't think any of the songs - of the film.

It's just personal taste but for the most part the songs in the full film left me pretty cold, or at least didn't have the instant memorability that you usually want from a musical.  I know I used the term 'X Factor' to describe the first couple but they are in a mix of genres, so there's that.

Ryan McHenry, the person behind the short died in 2015 of cancer apparently, there's a dedication to him at the end of the film which he's credited as a co-writer for, but I don't know how much he contributed to the script / songs.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: olliebean on January 18, 2019, 12:50:27 PM
Will I be spoiled if I watch the short before the feature?

<edit> Never mind, watched it anyway. Found it a bit dull tbh. A real shame that the big fight at the end was accompanied by a generic instrumental rock vamp rather than a kick-ass ass kicking song.

Are the songs better in the full length film? They didn't really do anything for me in the short.

I just finished watching the short and thought it was really weak, Anna and the Apocalypse is enormously better and bar one scene they don't really have anything in common, none of the songs from the short are in the film and the songs in the movie are a lot better.

olliebean

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 20, 2019, 07:18:08 PM
I just finished watching the short and thought it was really weak, Anna and the Apocalypse is enormously better and bar one scene they don't really have anything in common, none of the songs from the short are in the film and the songs in the movie are a lot better.

Thanks, that's reassuring.