Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:19:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

#Cancelled 2019

Started by Noodle Lizard, January 16, 2019, 09:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habitat or BHS?

Habitat please, buster.
0 (0%)
BHS please, buster.
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Nowhere Man

Jockice is #Cancelled for causing Colin Moulding to stop touring.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 19, 2019, 09:52:21 AM
not guilty to a sex assault on a train

[Img] man with knob up a rover [img]

hummingofevil

Limmy has called it:

1. Erykah Badu

Anyone want to claim some points?

up_the_hampipe

I don't think anyone expected that one. I think we need to consider the progressive celebs that tap dance for twitter likes are going to be swallowed up this year. That Jameela Jamil has been talking a big game recently, I think she's due for some problematic 2009 tweets or something.

McFlymo

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 21, 2019, 12:05:20 PM
Limmy has called it:

1. Erykah Badu

Anyone want to claim some points?

Seemed to me like she's saying she loves her friend but obviously cannot condone what he has done. She's trying to come to terms with it. She also made an interesting point about how we respond to abusers who have had their own history with being victims of abuse: i.e. that it's not an easy thing to understand and we should approach these issues without hate and judgment.

I feel like this is probably exactly how I would respond if I found out a close friend of mine had done some abhorrent things.

hummingofevil

Quote from: McFlymo on January 21, 2019, 03:48:23 PM
Seemed to me like she's saying she loves her friend but obviously cannot condone what he has done. She's trying to come to terms with it. She also made an interesting point about how we respond to abusers who have had their own history with being victims of abuse: i.e. that it's not an easy thing to understand and we should approach these issues without hate and judgment.

I feel like this is probably exactly how I would respond if I found out a close friend of mine had done some abhorrent things.

Doesn't matter. Cancelled means cancelled. One down.

Warning: defending someone who is cancelled is a potential cancelling offence too. We all safe here amongst friends but let the cancelling continue out there.

McFlymo

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 21, 2019, 04:03:47 PM

Warning: defending someone who is cancelled is a potential cancelling offence too. We all safe here amongst friends but let the cancelling continue out there.

Ah yes. Thanks for helping me out. Away with you, nuance! Be gone, context!

But where do the cancelled go?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 21, 2019, 04:03:47 PM

Then they came for me—and there was only Owen Jones left to speak for me.

phantom_power

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 21, 2019, 12:11:28 PM
I don't think anyone expected that one. I think we need to consider the progressive celebs that tap dance for twitter likes are going to be swallowed up this year. That Jameela Jamil has been talking a big game recently, I think she's due for some problematic 2009 tweets or something.

She seems willing to admit she is wrong and re-examine her thought processes though, something that is quite hard for most victims of cancelling

hummingofevil

Quote from: phantom_power on January 21, 2019, 04:34:26 PM
She seems willing to admit she is wrong and re-examine her thought processes though, something that is quite hard for most victims of cancelling

Potential uncancelling then. But let the cancelling remain on record. I don't write the rules. And I didn't defend a paedo. It is irrelevant to this game if we feel the cancelling is harsh. Cancelling, like a free market, is governed only by its own internal logic.

Ferris

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 21, 2019, 05:15:46 PM
Potential uncancelling then. But let the cancelling remain on record. I don't write the rules. And I didn't defend a paedo. It is irrelevant to this game if we feel the cancelling is harsh. Cancelling, like a free market, is governed only by its own internal logic.

I don't think you can defend your way out of being #CANCELLED. Common sense takes a leave of absence, and let loose the dogs of war twitter.

phantom_power

I am not sure. Often an apology and retreat can let the dust blow over. It is usually people who try to defend themselves get the full heat of cancellation. It's a bit like quicksand, the more you fight the more you sink

It's Graham Lineman next. His one-man war against trans activists is only going to end one way. He's on borrowed time, surely.

machotrouts

HBomberGuy
Mara Wilson
Neil Cicierega
Eve Ewing
Beth McColl
DuckFanAccount
Chris Hansen
Maggie Oliver
Stinson 'The Paedophile' Hunter
Wikipedia

phantom_power

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 21, 2019, 05:52:07 PM
It's Graham Lineman next. His one-man war against trans activists is only going to end one way. He's on borrowed time, surely.

From Gamergate hero to trans-activist villain. An epic fall from grace

ajsmith2

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 21, 2019, 05:52:07 PM

Surely already cancelled?

chveik

Quote from: machotrouts on January 21, 2019, 07:04:14 PM
Chris Hansen

good call.

I'd also like that famous people and twitterati making money out of their mental health problems (sometimes minor ones) by writing shit self help books be cancelled to death.

garbed_attic

Quote from: McFlymo on January 21, 2019, 04:16:45 PM
Ah yes. Thanks for helping me out. Away with you, nuance! Be gone, context!

But where do the cancelled go?

hummingofevil

Quote from: chveik on January 21, 2019, 08:11:39 PM
good call.

I'd also like that famous people and twitterati making money out of their mental health problems (sometimes minor ones) by writing shit self help books be cancelled to death.

If can be very honest here I will share an anecdote. My sister's ex was ex special forces, horrible shit he saw and did followed by PTSD, obsessive compulsive behaviour, fucked himself up in car crash triggered by a shell-shock type incident triggered by cannons on Rememberabce Sunday, then addiction to painkillers, moved on to street drugs and found dead aged 45. A fucking horrific series of events I'm sure we'd all agree.

Last year Mel B was in news talking about seeking help for PTSD. Thinking it was a bit of celebrity bollocks I asked my sister what she thought (assuming she'd claim it was bandwagon jumping as was my instinct).

"She is a survivor of physical domestic violence and it is not for you to determine how people respond to trauma." was her correct, succinct and putting-me-in-my-fucking-place response.

So just take a step back and have a think when you read these stories. The worst thing you can be is incorrectly too naively empathetic about things (which is a good thing).

Would have cancelled myself there and then but I'm a cunt anyway so doesn't count.

Mister Six

Deyv

Neil Cicierega? How dare you!
Didn't Hbomberguy come close a year or so ago?

In all this excitement did everyone forget to cancel Motley Crue?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: phantom_power on January 21, 2019, 04:34:26 PM

Well, part of #CancelCulture is people being condemned for their ignorant moments from a more ignorant time, so she can apologise and correct herself as much as she wants, but the cancellation stands.

Chris Brown is currently being re-cancelled.

boki

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 22, 2019, 12:25:33 PM

They pretty much cancelled themselves with their book before Twitter became what it is today. 

Nikki Sixx? NB4 Shittstormm, more like!

I thought their book was considered a great bunch of lads when it came out.

phantom_power

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 22, 2019, 04:28:08 PM

It always staggers me how he managed to avoid a total cancel

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 22, 2019, 04:28:08 PM

Couldn't happen to a nicer, more talented man.

garnish

Paul F Tompkins deleted a tweet of his earlier that said there's a Hollywood fraternity (and they call themselves a fraternity) of #cancelled actors who get together and listen to Jordan Peterson.

What a fucking image.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 22, 2019, 12:25:33 PM

Cancelled due to lack of interest. Which is sorta worse if you think about it.