Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:51:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

#Cancelled 2019

Started by Noodle Lizard, January 16, 2019, 09:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habitat or BHS?

Habitat please, buster.
0 (0%)
BHS please, buster.
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

hummingofevil

Quote from: purlieu on February 06, 2019, 11:54:08 PM
Cleese has had rants about how he won't write a comedy now because he'd be forced to write ethnic minorities into it and stuff, so he has fairly uncomfortable old fashioned views. You just kind of hope these people will shut up and let their outdated views die with them eventually.

Palin narrates a children's show that's primarily about loving everybody and accepting everybody, and I'd be mortified if he wasn't basically a Clanger in human form.

I think her PR is far too good for it, but I think Taylor Swift could be up for this if she spoke more freely. She's come to some fairly harsh scrutiny online, but nothing that's been a direct response to her statements or actions so she's survived intact.

Taylor Swift had Charlie XCX on tour with her and they seemed to really bond and for some reason I imagine Charlie XCX and her entourage of being the ultimate gatekeepers of #cancelled so reckon she's safe. TS got in more bother for saying something very moderately pro-women in politics or Democrats which Shook Off (boom boom) some of her fans from her earlier career.

Nobody who looks that lovely can be evil. I shan't have it.

Mister Six

Lovely? She's like a shop mannequin possessed by the soul of a bad spider.

That said, she did a big Instagram post in favour of the Dems during the midterms on the basis that Trump and his flock are racist, queer bashing bastards, so that has probably sorted her out for the foreseeable.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: purlieu on February 06, 2019, 11:54:08 PM
Cleese has had rants about how he won't write a comedy now because he'd be forced to write ethnic minorities into it and stuff, so he has fairly uncomfortable old fashioned views. You just kind of hope these people will shut up and let their outdated views die with them eventually.

Palin narrates a children's show that's primarily about loving everybody and accepting everybody, and I'd be mortified if he wasn't basically a Clanger in human form.

I think her PR is far too good for it, but I think Taylor Swift could be up for this if she spoke more freely. She's come to some fairly harsh scrutiny online, but nothing that's been a direct response to her statements or actions so she's survived intact.

Cleese has been a misanthropic curmudgeon for decades. He's too far out of the woke sphere to get a cancelling or indeed be affected by one.

bgmnts

What do we reckon to another a-lister? Clooney? Pitt? Affleck?

king_tubby

Affleck got #cancelled for something or other quite recently, didn't he?

EDIT: "In 2017, actress and former Total Request Live (TRL) host Hilarie Burton retweeted a video clip from TRL Uncensored, in which Burton is seen recalling how Affleck "wraps his arm around me, and comes over and tweaks my left boob" during an appearance in 2003. Burton said, "I didn't forget [about it]." Affleck responded on Twitter, "I acted inappropriately toward Ms. Burton and I sincerely apologize."

"I heard that, er, George Stit had, er, moved away from, er, the, er, the Willesden area and, er, gone up, er, round Chadwell Heath."

"Cancelled?"

"Yeah."

up_the_hampipe

The Good Place is a popular show with Woke Twitter, especially with Jameela Jamil so active on there. I think Ted Danson could be in for a cancelling very soon when they find out what he did at the Whoopi Goldberg roast in 1993. Whoopi just got in trouble for her response to the Neeson thing and some folks are already bringing it up https://twitter.com/theferocity/status/1093312360444502016

Brundle-Fly

If Ted Danson is going to be 'cancelled' for that, then the slippery slope will basically become a massive water park flume filled with Fairy Liquid.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 07, 2019, 03:12:27 PM
If Ted Danson is going to be 'cancelled' for that, then the slippery slope will basically become a massive water park flume filled with Fairy Liquid.

People have been cancelled, or a cancellation has been attempted, for a lot less. Whoopi could also face cancellation for allowing him to do that and laughing along.

king_tubby

Cuellar

Quote from: bgmnts on February 07, 2019, 01:35:30 PM
What do we reckon to another a-lister? Clooney? Pitt? Affleck?

Clooney would be a great #cancellation.

Justin Trudeau would be good too, although he's surely too managed. That being said he has gone along with Trump's recognition of the Venezuelan opposition chap.

Ferris

The governor of Virginia is being canceled for exactly this, but he did it 10 years earlier and with no footage available. Danson did it in the '90s, used that word you really shouldn't, and with a whole bunch of people around to view it.

Deffo canceled.

Blinder Data

Juliette Binoche - unlikely candidate but expressing sympathy for Weinstein risks #cancelling. One to watch

Quote from: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/feb/07/juliette-binoche-harvey-weinstein-has-had-enoughThe actor Juliette Binoche has called for an end to the public excoriation of Harvey Weinstein and said that the cases should now be left to the courts.

Speaking at the opening press conference for the Berlin film festival, where she is heading the jury, Binoche said that she had encountered no problems in her long relationship with the producer, who has been accused of multiple counts of sexual assault. He denies all incidents of non-consensual sex.

"I almost want to say peace to his mind and heart, that's all," said Binoche. "I'm trying to put my feet in his shoes. He's had enough, I think. A lot of people have expressed themselves. Now justice has to do its work.

"I never had problems with him, but I could see that he had problems. As a producer he was wonderful, most of the time. I think he was a great producer. That we shouldn't forget, even though it's been difficult for some directors and actors and especially actresses. I just want to say peace to his mind and let justice do what it needs to do."

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 07, 2019, 03:13:30 PM
People have been cancelled, or a cancellation has been attempted, for a lot less. Whoopi could also face cancellation for allowing him to do that and laughing along.

And this is the essence of cancelling isn't it. White middle class people in their early 20's dredging up slightly suspect things done by people who've spent their entire lives on the right side of social justice that happened before they were even born.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

By the same token, I can sort of see how your Linehan types end up the way they do. If you've spent your life thinking of yourself as right on, it must come as a shock when the goalposts suddenly seem to shift and leave you looking old fashioned.

Meanwhile, the Jeremy Clarksons of the world just go on being bigoted shits, as they always did.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah, the difference between linehan and other people is that rather than having a bit of introspection and admitting perhaps he was wrong, or even just refusing to acknowledge the criticism and letting every one forget about it he doubled down and had a spectacular benny.

mrpupkin

Maybe getting #cancelled is actually a huge relief, like doing a big horrible poo that you held in all day or dying

Wet Blanket

That's dead cert cancellation material right there. Plenty of photographs of the event too - is there even footage? If ill-advised tweets from years previously can get you a cancelling then getting done up in black face and using the n-word on stage will surely count too. 

Bazooka

Has Owen Jones been cancelled yet this year(without doing it himself) by a mad farmer driving his £587,678 combine into the blokes turnip crammed mouth?

Brundle-Fly

The Danson/ Goldberg roast shenanigans was known about at the time and since, so why wasn't he/her cancelled? Everybody (including the media) who didn't try to cancel them at that time or since, are just as culpable, surely? 

Wet Blanket

This is where cancellings get blurry. Liam Neeson is in the shit for considering a racist murder when he was young. Mark Wahlberg literally did time for an attempted racist murder when he was young, but is not in the firing line for any sort of cancelling, as far as I'm aware

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 07, 2019, 05:46:51 PM
The Danson/ Goldberg roast shenanigans was known about at the time and since, so why wasn't he/her cancelled? Everybody (including the media) who didn't try to cancel them at that time or since, are just as culpable, surely?

There was controversy at the time, but you could apply these questions to other current day cancellations that have stemmed from old, known events. I'm not trying to say it should happen, just that it could certainly happen.

Quote from: Wet Blanket on February 07, 2019, 05:49:45 PM
This is where cancellings get blurry. Liam Neeson is in the shit for considering a racist murder when he was young. Mark Wahlberg literally did time for an attempted racist murder when he was young, but is not in the firing line for any sort of cancelling, as far as I'm aware

It's been mentioned by a few people during this shitstorm. I think a lot of people either didn't know about it, or give him a pass because it was a 'This Is England' type case of a kid mixing with the wrong crowd. 

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I was listening to a bit of Serge Gainsbourg earlier, and it occurred to me that, even if he carried on like that today - turning up blind drunk on chat shows, literally burning money, telling Whitney Houston he wanted to "furrk" her and recording an incestuous duet with his daughter - he'd probably still manage to avoid cancellation on account of him being a lecherous, dissolute French provocateur who deliberately flirted with cancellation for most of his career because it amused him.

If he was around today he'd probably get away with shagging farmyard animals on live TV while farting La Marseillaise, because "Well that's just what the mad old fucker is like, isn't it?"

Anyway, just a thought.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 07, 2019, 05:52:23 PM
It's been mentioned by a few people during this shitstorm. I think a lot of people either didn't know about it, or give him a pass because it was a 'This Is England' type case of a kid mixing with the wrong crowd.

Yeah but why is one person's folly of youth more acceptable than another's? Nobody actually got hurt in Neeson's revenge fantasy, whereas Marky Mark's prison rap was only the result of his worst-of-many acts of racially aggravated violence

EDIT: Actually I twitter searched him and he might be on the edge of a cancel after all. You're right, lots of people don't appear to know about his past at all. There are many WTF?!?!? gifs

Any idea what the trans community thinks of David Walliams? I don't think it even matters because he's more likely to get knighthood than a cancellation.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Wet Blanket on February 07, 2019, 06:01:17 PM
Yeah but why is one person's folly of youth more acceptable than another's? Nobody actually got hurt in Neeson's revenge fantasy, whereas Marky Mark's prison rap was only the result of his worst-of-many acts of racially aggravated violence

Well, Neeson was an adult, which might make it different. Marky Mark also went to prison for it, so whenever this got publicised, it might have been decided he "served his time". Again, all just speculation, I don't think there's much consistency or logic that can be applied to 'cancel culture'.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Blinder Data on February 07, 2019, 04:00:52 PM
Juliette Binoche - unlikely candidate but expressing sympathy for Weinstein risks #cancelling. One to watch

Is it a French thing? Didn't Catherine Denerve kick off about #MeToo because it was a woman's right to be goosed or something and claim it was in the true spirit of female sexual liberation? Think I may have missed something in translation...

Funcrusher

Not the sort of thing I'm supposed to say on here, but Juliette Binoche's statement is a bit of a jaw dropper.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Bazooka on February 07, 2019, 05:22:45 PM
Has Owen Jones been cancelled yet this year(without doing it himself) by a mad farmer driving his £587,678 combine into the blokes turnip crammed mouth?

Even though I more-or-less agree with him, and think he's ok, I'd laugh my brambles off if Owen Jones got cancelled.

Nowhere Man

I think it needs to be mentioned every time he's brought up that Matthew Broderick did drive into 2 woman in Ireland, killing them both. Then he got off essentially scot free and has managed to still have a very successful movie career since. Of all the fucking celebrities you think people would be angry about, maybe if the two woman were black, instead of Irish Twitter would take more notice of it?

QuoteOn August 5, 1987, while driving a rented BMW in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland, Broderick crossed into the wrong lane and collided head-on with a Volvo driven by Anna Gallagher, 30, accompanied by her mother, Margaret Doherty, 63, killing both instantly. He was vacationing with Jennifer Grey, whom he began dating in semi-secrecy during the filming of Ferris Bueller's Day Off, the crash publicly revealing their relationship. He had a fractured leg and ribs, a concussion, and a collapsed lung. Jennifer Grey received minor injuries, including whiplash.

Broderick told police he had no recollection of the crash and did not know why he was in the wrong lane: "I don't remember the day. I don't remember even getting up in the morning. I don't remember making my bed. What I first remember is waking up in the hospital, with a very strange feeling going on in my leg." He was charged with causing death by dangerous driving and faced up to five years in prison, but was later convicted of the lesser charge of careless driving and fined $175.

What a fucking pisstake.