Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:05:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

#Cancelled 2019

Started by Noodle Lizard, January 16, 2019, 09:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habitat or BHS?

Habitat please, buster.
0 (0%)
BHS please, buster.
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

hummingofevil

Quote from: Nowhere Man on February 07, 2019, 07:55:48 PM
I think it needs to be mentioned every time he's brought up that Matthew Broderick did drive into 2 woman in Ireland, killing them both. Then he got off essentially scot free and has managed to still have a very successful movie career since. Of all the fucking celebrities you think people would be angry about, maybe if the two woman were black, instead of Irish Twitter would take more notice of it?

What a fucking pisstake.

"Never had one lesson."

hummingofevil

Remember when Leslie whasshisname who played Dirty Den died and everyone thought it was funny to remember him sucking his finger whilst wanking on the internet but didn't realise he'd done it on purpose to get you all to magically forget he shot a taxi driver in the head, murdering him?

purlieu

Quote from: thecuriousorange on February 07, 2019, 06:28:31 PM
Any idea what the trans community thinks of David Walliams? I don't think it even matters because he's more likely to get knighthood than a cancellation.
Let's remember the pilot episode of Little Britain was directed by Mr. Transphobe himself, Graham whatsisname.

king_tubby

Matthew Bower. #Cancelled.

https://thequietus.com/articles/26017-skullflower-removed-from-raw-power-line-up

He's been a dodgy fuck for time, mind. So not surprised.

Small Man Big Horse

Cuellar

Limmy mentioned a potential Chris Pratt cancellation for supporting a homophobic church. Now that would be a good #cancellation

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: king_tubby on February 08, 2019, 09:34:46 PM

https://thequietus.com/articles/26017-skullflower-removed-from-raw-power-line-up

I'm not familiar with them beyond listening to a few of their records. How is he dodgy?

BritishHobo

That Matthew Broderick thing is staggering. $175 for two human lives. "I can't remember why I was in the wrong lane." Fuck me.

king_tubby

Um,

QuoteSkullflower dropped from bill due to racist associations, allegedly anti-Semitic language and use of Nazi symbolism

BritishHobo

Quote from: Cuellar on February 08, 2019, 09:44:22 PM
Limmy mentioned a potential Chris Pratt cancellation for supporting a homophobic church. Now that would be a good #cancellation

Chris Pratt could definitely wander his way into a cancelling. It'll be a hell of a cancelling though, because it'll give some ammo to types who think Christianity is being made illegal in America. He'll get a lot of support and it'll be a nice cushion for him.

chveik

Quote from: king_tubby on February 08, 2019, 09:34:46 PM

that's weird, I was just listening to Skullflower. Great band.

I don't think it will change anything for me though, I still listen to far right black metal bands from time to time.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: king_tubby on February 08, 2019, 10:08:17 PM
Um,

I read the article. You said he'd been dodgy for some time, so I thought maybe there was more than that. I enjoyed reading the quote again though, thanks.

Thursday

Chris Pratt seems to be savy enough to know all the aspects of himself that he's best of hiding or not talking about much in order to avoid a cancelling. I think people suspect it enough for it to be a more slowly dawning realisation for people so it'll be easier to accept, rather than a sudden big angry cancelling.

Mister Six

Speak of the devil, the Chris Pratt cancellation fest is kicking off, courtesy of an Ellen Page tweet: https://nylon.com/ellen-page-chris-pratt-hillsong

QuoteEllen Page dragged Chris Pratt on Twitter for supporting an "infamously anti-LGBTQ church," the megachurch Hillsong.

On Thursday, Pratt appeared on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, where he talked about trying a 21-day "spiritual fasting" diet called the Daniel Diet, which he said is modeled after the book of Daniel and its main character. He noted that he did the diet with the encouragement of his pastor, noting "it's kind of like our Lent."

Page, who came across the news on Twitter, took the chance to publicly denounce the church for its homophobic values. "But his church is infamously anti lgbtq so maybe address that too?" reads Page's comment. This comes about a week after Page blasted the Trump administration for its hateful leadership, also on Colbert's show.

In 2014, Hillsong pastor Brian Houston said that he did not support gay marriage in a statement. "My personal view on the subject of homosexuality would line up with most traditionally held Christian views," he explained. And we all know what those views are, especially if you grew up gay and going to church. He adds: "I believe the writings of Paul are clear on the subject." In 2015, after it was revealed that one of the church's choir directors was gay, Houston put out another statement doubling down on his stance. "I do believe God's word is clear that marriage is between a man and a woman," he writes. "Hillsong Church welcomes ALL people but does not affirm all lifestyles. Put clearly, we do not affirm a gay lifestyle and because of this we do not knowingly have actively gay people in positions of leadership, either paid or unpaid." The choir director was reportedly barred from his position soon after. There have even been rumors within the church that it, at one point, approved of conversion therapy.

Not only does Pratt attend this church, but so do Justin and Hailey Bieber, and so have Selena Gomez, and Kendall and Kylie Jenner in the past. None of these celebrities should keep quiet.

garnish

All those celebrities being part of the same church usually indicates a big tax dodge going on, like Scientology.

rue the polywhirl

Ellen Page must be careful of being anti-LGBTQ herself because her spokeswomaning for their cause is likely to turn more people towards Chris Pratt's side. If Chris Pratt doesn't go out of his way to stop gay marriages at other churches then what's the problem?

up_the_hampipe

An anti-LGBTQ church?! Crikey!!!

Cuellar

Isn't it quite Gay-conversion-y?

king_tubby

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on February 08, 2019, 10:30:42 PM
I read the article. You said he'd been dodgy for some time, so I thought maybe there was more than that. I enjoyed reading the quote again though, thanks.

Oh sorry, misread. Yes, something else cropped up a couple of years ago regarding his dodgy views. Here we go.

https://twitter.com/hhelmm/status/823539398314721281?lang=en

Neil Campbell in the replies there, he should know.

Pretty sure there was something else too.

Norton Canes

Prince Philip's driving licence

I wonder about legendary celebrities who died young.

Would John Lennon have matured into a highly-cancelable figure? I don't think he would have stopped speaking his mind publicly and I can imagine him eventually coming out with something stupid.

Would Ian Curtis have become something akin to the modern-day Morrissey?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: thecuriousorange on February 10, 2019, 10:48:12 AM
I wonder about legendary celebrities who died young.

Would John Lennon have matured into a highly-cancelable figure? I don't think he would have stopped speaking his mind publicly and I can imagine him eventually coming out with something stupid.

Would Ian Curtis have become something akin to the modern-day Morrissey?

This deserves a thread by itself.

king_tubby

Lennon: DV, racism - #CANCELLED
Curtis: DV, Tory - #CANCELLED

MidnightShambler

Quote from: king_tubby on February 10, 2019, 07:45:41 PM
Lennon: DV, racism - #CANCELLED
Curtis: DV, Tory - #CANCELLED

Lennon was a man from 1940s Liverpool, if he had shared even a scintilla of the opinions about modern life that my dad and his friends have then he'd have been #CANCELLED on day one, eight o'clock in the morning.

Bennett Brauer

Pretty sure Lennon would have found Derek* hilarious.

* not Derek Taylor

king_tubby

More stuff on Bower:

https://thequietus.com/articles/26024-skullflower-matthew-bower-fascism-racism

Maybe needs a thread at some point. I missed all that about Temple of Boom putting on a Finnish racist. That's shit.

chveik

it's not that surprising though, the symbols and discourse used within the indus/dark ambiant/noise/neofolk/power electronics constellation have always been quite ''problematic'', for lack of a better word.

I wonder if Bowie is going to get #cancelled for his nazi obsession during the Berlin years.

Mr. Internet

Quote from: chveik on February 11, 2019, 05:50:31 PMI wonder if Bowie is going to get #cancelled for his nazi obsession during the Berlin years.

I think he makes up for it in myriad other ways, like being an icon for LGBTQ+ people, so it's doubtful.

And it's so well-known that if he hasn't been #cancelled for it by now then it probably isn't going to happen.

Ferris

Quote from: Mr. Internet on February 11, 2019, 06:01:21 PM
I think he makes up for it in myriad other ways, like being an icon for LGBTQ+ people, so it's doubtful.

And it's so well-known that if he hasn't been #cancelled for it by now then it probably isn't going to happen.

I don't think you can be #cancelled after you've carked it (with one fairly notable cigar-smoking exception).

king_tubby

Quote from: Mr. Internet on February 11, 2019, 06:01:21 PM

He should be #cancelled for shagging 13 years olds.