Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:36:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

#Cancelled 2019

Started by Noodle Lizard, January 16, 2019, 09:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habitat or BHS?

Habitat please, buster.
0 (0%)
BHS please, buster.
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

touchingcloth

I call Alec Baldwin and Noel Fielding.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 11, 2019, 08:26:58 PM

Mutual unwanted touching?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 11, 2019, 08:26:58 PM

Baldwin admitted he would bully women or something like that, didn't he? He was very close to a cancelling, but I think his portrayal of Trump on SNL saved him.

touchingcloth

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 12, 2019, 09:35:33 AM
Baldwin admitted he would bully women or something like that, didn't he? He was very close to a cancelling, but I think his portrayal of Trump on SNL saved him.

I don't remember that, but I've been rewatching 30 Rock now it's on 4OD and I just suddenly thought "surely. Surely."

king_tubby

Didn't he call his 11 year old daughter some bad words?

touchingcloth

That rings a bell. Booted off a plane for calling her a cunt down the phone? Perhaps two separate incidents.

up_the_hampipe

phantom_power

There was a phone call that was recorded of him calling his daughter a spoiled little pig or some such

This cancel shit is getting so out of hand, and is so much at the whim of what gets a bit of traction on Twitter. People are so eager to "drag" a celeb. Even someone like Jamilla Jamil, who seems to be trying so hard to use her position to do positive things about body image and mental health, gets picked up on the slightest word out of place. And even worse you get 400 hyper-woke arseholes saying exactly the same thing, despite I assume them seeing the other 399 replies. All just to re-affirm their credentials as arbiters of righteousness.

imitationleather

Quote from: phantom_power on February 12, 2019, 10:21:29 AM
And even worse you get 400 hyper-woke arseholes saying exactly the same thing, despite I assume them seeing the other 399 replies. All just to re-affirm their credentials as arbiters of righteousness.

Not just on the #CANCELLING, I find this sort of thing makes Twitter completely unusable as a format for all discourse. Any kind of news story and there will be a thousand responses by internet comedians all cracking the exact same shit and very obvious joke.

king_tubby

Never click on the replies!

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: phantom_power on February 12, 2019, 10:21:29 AM
People are so eager to "drag" a celeb. Even someone like Jamilla Jamil, who seems to be trying so hard to use her position to do positive things about body image and mental health, gets picked up on the slightest word out of place.

Well, you box yourself in when you're someone like her. I'm all for the positive body image things she's doing, but she's quick to "call out" other celebs for missteps, so it seems inevitable that the audience she builds from that will soon eat her alive. You can't paint yourself as a model of progressive perfection online because there's no way you'll ever live up to that.

On a very ridiculous note, Nicki Minaj cancelled BET gigs because one of their twitter accounts tweeted some "shade" at her during the Grammy's https://www.thefader.com/2019/02/11/nicki-minaj-cancels-bet-gigs-tweets-cardi-b-grammy-win-dragged-by-her-lacefront

BET apologised but look at the replies, they're cancelled https://twitter.com/BET/status/1095122319041802241

Pathetic that she would cancel gigs that her fans paid for, forcing them to issue thousands of refunds, depriving her fans of shows all because some intern tweeted some vague insult. Very fragile. And her equally sensitive fans believe BET should repent for such evils.

phantom_power

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 12, 2019, 10:27:56 AM
Well, you box yourself in when you're someone like her. I'm all for the positive body image things she's doing, but she's quick to "call out" other celebs for missteps, so it seems inevitable that the audience she builds from that will soon eat her alive. You can't paint yourself as a model of progressive perfection online because there's no way you'll ever live up to that.

I think that is true to an extent but the alternative is to not even try. It should be down to the commenters to acknowledge someone trying to do good and back off a bit. And I don't think she calls out celebs for "mis-steps". It is usually because they are peddling some snake oil shit when they don't really need the money. I don't think she is painting herself as a model of perfection either. She openly admits she is still learning and is at pains to apologise for transgressions, even when she should be telling people to fuck right off

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: phantom_power on February 12, 2019, 11:12:06 AM
I think that is true to an extent but the alternative is to not even try. It should be down to the commenters to acknowledge someone trying to do good and back off a bit. And I don't think she calls out celebs for "mis-steps". It is usually because they are peddling some snake oil shit when they don't really need the money. I don't think she is painting herself as a model of perfection either. She openly admits she is still learning and is at pains to apologise for transgressions, even when she should be telling people to fuck right off

She is painting herself that way currently, like she's seen the light and she's on the right side of the issues now, and I've certainly seen her express disdain for things a lot simpler than the awful diet products, but I'd have to dig to find them, problematic comments/jokes basically. She's going to get in trouble, especially her affiliation with Ted Danson if the blackface thing ever picks up steam. And a current trend in 'cancellation' is making people answer for ignorant mistakes from an ignorant time, so she can apologise as much as she wants, but she'll still face the wrath.

touchingcloth

Is there a single poster on here who wouldn't be shitcancelled so hard if they ever became famous? I mean I know there are know famous balds or women, but like Feynman said it's just fun to imagine.

imitationleather

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 12, 2019, 11:25:50 AM
Is there a single poster on here who wouldn't be shitcancelled so hard if they ever became famous? I mean I know there are know famous balds or women, but like Feynman said it's just fun to imagine.

If anyone on here was planning on running for public office or whatnot it'd probably be necessary for them to write Neil a very sweet letter demanding that he nuke their account first.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: imitationleather on February 12, 2019, 11:59:32 AM
If anyone on here was planning on running for public office or whatnot it'd probably be necessary for them to write Neil a very sweet letter demanding that he nuke their account first.

Running for public office is basically like being an athlete now. You have to decide at a very early age what you want to do and sacrifice a good part of your youth to do it. Which means no social media.

Mr. Internet

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 12, 2019, 11:25:50 AM

Has Feynman been #cancelled? I feel like he has already, even if he hasn't.

This must be what's it's like to have a Mandela moment.

Cuellar

I think he has. If he hasn't he should be, his sexual politics were #trash

Sebastian Cobb

DJ Riz La Teef reaching in and rewinding a tune during Sherelle's boiler room set is causing people on twitter who have probably never been to a rave to go bananas.

It is rude and a bit of a dickhead move but they are mates and hugged it out and it's happened thousands of times (High Contrast saying Andy C doing it to him was a high point) so I'm not really buying the borderline groping angle.

popcorn

Surely it's only a matter of time before Rivers Cuomo of Weezer is cancelled for his 90s shenanigans?

There's a really, really old site, Rivers El Pervo, where girls used to submit creepy stories of his backstage behaviour.