Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:51:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

a query about Frederick Wiseman

Started by chveik, January 16, 2019, 10:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

I've never seen any of his films. I love Jean Rouch and Chris Marker, so it might be right up my street. his cinematography is colossal though, so I don't really know where to start with. are there any fans of his here?

Sin Agog

Yeah, love every one that I've seen minus the film about animal testing in which we see a chimp get cut in half, Ichi the Killer-style.

I think I started with Hospital and High School, both of which would make great aperitifs, but he arguably hit his creative highs with Belfast, Maine and Near Death.  The latter made Louis Theroux's similar effort look like a daytime TV stair lift advert by comparison.

chveik

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 16, 2019, 11:04:56 PM
I think I started with Hospital and High School, both of which would make great aperitifs, but he arguably hit his creative highs with Belfast, Maine and Near Death.  The latter made Louis Theroux's similar effort look like a daytime TV stair lift advert by comparison.

thanks a bunch, I'm going to look for these.

Sin Agog

Ain't no thang.  Go in expecting more Rouch than Marker and you'll be fine.

Talking of Chris Marker, I think it was Sans Soleil that inspired me to watch my first anime.  It kept on showing clips of the metaphysical sci-fi Galaxy Express 999, to the point that I had to hunt down the source material.

sevendaughters

once you get beyond his early and slightly more experimental works I think they're all pretty much united in quality ie. good, and because the titles are so Ronseal you can probably pick based on the thing that intrigues you the most. I have At Berkeley here on my desk and it delivers in terms of a roaming look at a vast institution as handsomely as one might hope.