Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:02:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum

Started by Swoz_MK, January 17, 2019, 05:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

He wears his watch on the wrong side of his wrist. I hope he dies.

Custard

Can't wait for this. The first two are dynamite action fillums

There's meant to be a telly show, isn't there? There's a comic, too. But I'll wait for a collected edition to give that a whirl

The first one is possibly my favourite action film of the decade (The Raid narrowly misses out, because it didn't have a puppy).

The second one was good but it started to wear out its welcome a bit. You can only watch Keanu judo flip someone and shoot them in the head so many times before it starts to get a bit tired. It's a beautiful looking film though - shits on Blade Runner 2049.

Spiteface

Quote from: Shameless Custard on January 17, 2019, 06:02:27 PM
Can't wait for this. The first two are dynamite action fillums

There's meant to be a telly show, isn't there?
Yeah, set around the Continental. So in the "world" of John Wick, but not directly about him, although that does open the door for a cameo.

Bazooka

I've still not watched one of these John moving pictures. Are they prequels to the Matrixes cinema?

Mister Six

I loved the first film because it blended slick OTT violence with a real sense of danger and vulnerability. When he's all fucked up at the end, you believe he might just die.

Then the second movie pisses all that away by giving him a magical bulletproof jacket and an indestructible dog and letting gun battles erupt in the middle of Montreal New York without anyone caring and turning everyone in the city into a gimmicky super assassin and oh what's the point. Nothing means anything because it's just a daft cartoon with no consequences.

This looks like fun and I'll probably watch it. It's certainly beautifully shot. But I do wish they'd not left the tone of the first film behind.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 17, 2019, 05:57:48 PM
He wears his watch on the wrong side of his wrist. I hope he dies.

As did Hannibal Smith. It's cool and it means you never get tricked into pouring coffee onto your suit when someone asks the time

Kelvin

Quote from: kidsick5000 on January 18, 2019, 01:05:34 AM
As did Hannibal Smith. It's cool and it means you never get tricked into pouring coffee onto your suit when someone asks the time

No, he pours it on his dog.

Chollis

Should've just left this at the first one (which was great). Still, I may as well finish it now.

New trailer: https://youtu.be/pU8-7BX9uxs

Despite all the complaints about the second film, I'll be damned if I'm not still looking forward to this.

Blumf

Me and the missus have been enjoying the first two of these, and looking forward to the third.

Is Man of Tai Chi worth a punt? Seems to have middling reviews.

Spiteface

Quote from: Bazooka on January 17, 2019, 09:41:36 PM
I've still not watched one of these John moving pictures. Are they prequels to the Matrixes cinema?
He says "Guns. Lots of guns" in the newest trailer.

mothman

Quote from: Spiteface on March 23, 2019, 07:20:15 PM
He says "Guns. Lots of guns" in the newest trailer.

I hated that. In the film, in its own, it'd probably be a nice little blink/miss in-joke; in the trailer it just lampshades it.

Blumf

Quote from: Blumf on March 22, 2019, 03:32:43 PM
Is Man of Tai Chi worth a punt? Seems to have middling reviews.

Well Blumf, not exactly. It's okay; fight scenes are fun, but with more wire-work than the average Gerry Anderson production, and the story is fine, if stupid (think martial artist unwittingly gets dragged into The Truman Show of fight clubs, but that idea would be more interesting than this). Ultimately 6/10, there are better thing to watch, but it doesn't hurt to see this.

Josef K

Caught this last night and it was...phenomenal

It's clear how everyone involved is at the top of their game. Choreography was on point, the average shot length seemed way longer than previous iterations and the plot mixed things up a fair bit.

It had the emotional drive of the first film and the set pieces trumped the second - the fight scene with the dogs is a stunning piece of filmmaking. Props to Halle Berry for the amount of work she clearly put in.
Absolutely buzzed to see it again! Unlike 2 it never felt like it sagged and the sheer variety of the action is breathtaking.

If I had to nitpick I'd say the cliff hanger ending was unnecessary and the fight scene with Keanu and the 2 lads from The Raid is jarring as their skill clearly outshines his. Minor points in what IMO solidifies it as the greatest action franchise in the last decade.

greenman

Good to see an action franchise highlighting an often ignored and embarrising medical condition.

kidsick5000

It's great fun, but it's more in love with the fight choreography than ever - to the detriment of pace and story.
I miss the simplicity of the first film, but it's still great fun.

Glebe

I saw this today with my Dad - hadn't seen the first two, but I got the jist of it... quite a dumb movie, but plenty of top action.

beanheadmcginty

There's something very pleasing about the way that they've decided to ensure that the ammo sitiation is realistic, meaning that the characters spend most of their time reloading their guns in a film that in all other aspects is completely fantastical.

Glebe

Blimey, Mark Dacascos (Zero) played the lead in Crying Freeman! Little cameo from Robin 'Penguin Gotham' Lord Taylor... and Jerome from Robson & Jerome!

phantom_power

Mark Dacascos is in a great little low budget action film called Drive (not that one) that I think is on Amazon Prime at the moment

Spiteface

Saw it yesterday.

Utterly preposterous, but hugely entertaining. Which is what I like about these films.

Mild spoilers:

As with the second one, I liked it, but I don't think I loved it. Much like in Reeves' other big action trilogy, the action is bigger than ever, but I'm not sure that's a good thing. It's difficult to watch John repeatedly hit by cars, knocked through multiple glass display cases or shot off the roof of the Continental and not miss the relatively grounded feel of the first film. Then again, I did like Chapter 2 more on a second viewing.

It's odd that they keep talking about consequences since, narratively, it felt a little inconsequential. By the end, a few allegiances have shifted slightly but John is more or less in the same situation as he is at the start. Also, I thought his big sin was killing Santino on Continental Grounds, but the adjudicator seemed to say that High Table types are off limits entirely. If that's the case, why wasn't John targeted by the High Table for killing Santino's sister in the second film?

After Angelica Huston and Halle Berry made fairly small appearances, I was surprised that the king of all assassins wasn't some big name cameo. I was expecting an action legend, like Jackie Chan or someone.

Speaking of Berry, it was pleasantly nostalgic seeing her and Reeves teaming up like it was 2003 again. She doesn't seem to have aged since then.

Lord Mandrake

Do these really work as stealth Matrix sequels?

They're gun fu action flicks with a similar level of stylisation, but that's as far as I'd say the comparison goes.
As a trilogy, I reckon this is better than The Matrices.

Chairman Yang

Fucking great.

Stabs a guy in the brain with two knives, beats a guy to death with his own bike helmet, shoots a guy up the arse with a shotgun. 10/10

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 20, 2019, 04:20:28 PM
They're gun fu action flicks with a similar level of stylisation, but that's as far as I'd say the comparison goes.
As a trilogy, I reckon this is better than The Matrices.

Soon to be a quadrilogy after a massive opening weekend. https://variety.com/2019/film/news/john-wick-4-summer-2021-lionsgate-1203221620/

From that article:

Quote"John Wick 4" is the second title to land on May 21, 2021. It joins Warner Bros.' "DC Super Pets" on the date.

I had no idea there was going to be a Super Pets movie but I'm (not so) secretly excited by the idea.

Ferris

Quote from: Chairman Yang on May 20, 2019, 10:14:04 PM
Fucking great.

Stabs a guy in the brain with two knives, beats a guy to death with his own bike helmet, shoots a guy up the arse with a shotgun. 10/10

Well I hate to be the voice of realism, but if you actually did any of these in real life, the "victim" would probably be dead.

Chairman Yang

That scene where he threw a milkshake at a man did seem a bit beyond the pale.