Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:36:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

MORTAL KOMBAT 11

Started by Spiteface, January 17, 2019, 06:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Honestly, Mortal Kombat isn't really a proper fighting game. It's less of a good fighting game than Dead or Alive or SNK Heroines or Blade Strangers and they're the worst.

Twed

It was best on the Amiga when you only had one button and the main part of the game was trying to execute basic moves by having to press up+button without triggering a jump.

I remember playing Way of the Exploding Fist 2 at my mate Craig's and he said it was up and fire to do a tummy punch and I didn't understand because I only ever played on the Amstrad keyboard because we couldn't afford a joystick and I yanked the fucking stick right up and out of its housing and broke the cunt and he ran to his room crying. His mum went apeshit and called my mum to pick me up and I was crying because I was frightened my mum would go apeshit and also that she'd have to pay for it and we had no money so I was double cryin

Edit should have said my mum just said fuck off and we didn't have to pay for it  That's the attitude I've had my whole life

Come on madhair60 lad we need to do this podcast. I said it before I knew you were Internet famous. The scene is crying out for some real talk minimal bants just proper mutual abuse chat. 2k19 néed this shit.

madhair60

To be honest I'd probably start crying if overtly challenged, and that's exactly what the podcast needs. Real emotion

Anyway, good Mortal Kombat games. Deception, Shaolin Monks, '09, X. There ya go.

magval

2 and Trilogy also, surely.

Deadly Alliance was obviously the best, with the krypt koffins

Spiteface

Mythologies FTW

MK11 Story mode trailer

See, you don't get this insanity with Street Fighter. SFV's attempt at a "story mode" was pathetic. Big shocker here is Shao Kahn is actually a part of this, normally the pre-order bonus characters tend not to feature in Netherrealm story modes (Goro never popped up in MKX, Darkseid was nowhere to be seen in Injustice 2), but given the time-travel shinanegans, NOTHING is off the table here.

Spiteface

Yesterday Noob Saibot got confirmed, as did Shang Tsung. The latter being DLC.

But, the best bit about Shang Tsung's reveal was who is playing him:

If you can't tell, here's a big fucking clue:

Yep, Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa himself, both likeness and voice. I genuinely love that Netherrealm did this.

Kelvin

The ever likeable Ed Boon answers over 150 rapid fire questions about Mortal Kombat, with some genuinely interesting tidbits among the jokes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2QJ7BdRdd4

Spiteface

Launch trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zwQPJmg-Kg

THEY PUT TECHNO SYNDROME IN THE FUCKING TRAILER~!

One character left to reveal, apparently is Frost and may or may not be leading the new Tekunin as a cyborg now.

Whatever happens after MK11, I hope they don't go back to Scorpion being dead and wanting to kill Sub-Zero. I'm enjoying the alliance between Hanzo Hasashi and Kuai Liang.

Something I noticed with the Fatalities now compared to say, MKX: The focus is a little different. In MKX, the camera would mostly linger on the remains of the dead guy, and focus on that. Here, it's the impact of the actual move, presented like a splash page in a comic. I like that.

Also, the people complaining about the female characters being a bit more covered up and MK11 somehow being "SJW Kombat" can go fuck themselves.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Spiteface on April 18, 2019, 08:56:43 PM
Also, the people complaining about the female characters being a bit more covered up and MK11 somehow being "SJW Kombat" can go fuck themselves.

I'm guessing these are the same people making anti-semitic 'jokes' under The Kollector's reveal trailer (if they're no longer there it's because I Reported all the ones I saw).  I love Mortal Kombat but it sure has some scumbag fans.

Spiteface

Thankfully I didn't see the anti-semitism. Just a bunch of whiny shits complaining their "waifu" (Mileena) isn't in the game.

That's why you always main Scorpion. Ed Boon learned after MK3 to always have him in the game.

Same with Street Fighter. You always main a shoto and you're fine.

Barry Admin

Well they've done what Activision does with CoD, and launched it without the the store being active. Think it was the same with Injustice 2, can't remember.

Surprise surprise, the game is apparently massively geared towards flogging micro transactions with a heavy level of grinding to get stuff you actually want, and an artificially elevated difficulty level to sell skip tokens. Sounds like a fucking shit-show.

Anyone get it?

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Barry Admin on April 24, 2019, 03:58:24 PM
Surprise surprise, the game is apparently massively geared towards flogging micro transactions with a heavy level of grinding to get stuff you actually want, and an artificially elevated difficulty level to sell skip tokens. Sounds like a fucking shit-show.

Wow, that's a real shame. I was planning to get it at some point when it's eventually on sale somewhere but that description really puts me off. Strangely there are no PC-version reviews on Metacritic yet apart from the user-submitted ones, which do mention the microtransactions but also all have braindead rants about 'SJWs'.

Kelvin

I watched the story mode cutscenes on youtube over the weekend. Will be interested in what other people think of the story, especially Spiteface.

I'll leave it for now until people have had a chance to play it properly.

Quote from: Kelvin on April 24, 2019, 05:55:53 PM
I watched the story mode cutscenes on youtube over the weekend. Will be interested in what other people think of the story, especially Spiteface.

I'll leave it for now until people have had a chance to play it properly.
Gonna do the same and leave it at that, apparently its a grindfest aimed at microtransactions in the krypt, series over for me

Spiteface

Quote from: Kelvin on April 24, 2019, 05:55:53 PM

I'm about halfway.

What I'm liking is that characters get cool little moments in their chapters. Kitana's is a nice one (spoilers so highlight to read): Kitana Kahn. She kills Shao Kahn and wins over the people of Outworld that Kotal steps down and decides she should be the one to rule Outworld. This is the younger still-alive Kitana, not the Netherrealm one.

Still marking out for Sub-Zero and Scorpion being a team now. Hope Sektor and Cyrax make it in as fully-fledged characters in the future, but from what people have said, their appearances basically reuse Triborg's animations from MKX. A list of DLC characters has leaked, but I'm not reading it or anything else until I finish Story mode.

Anyway, here's 7 minutes of Noob Saibot being a dick to other characters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-W3gAVJC1k

Kelvin

Quote from: Spiteface on April 25, 2019, 08:32:08 PM
What I'm liking is that characters get cool little moments in their chapters. Kitana's is a nice one

Yeah, that was great after all these years. Although I was actually confused by that scene of her killing Shao Kahn, due to the fact she says "I will not inherent your cruelty", then slashes his face, while he writhes on the floor. I thought she had just blinded him or damaged his face, so as to spare his life, but prevent him from remaining a serious threat to peace. I didn't even realise he was dead until I went back and rewatched that scene.

Spiteface

Finished Story mode on Thursday. Gonna put all this in transparent, because I can, so highlight this shit if you wanna read any of it.

To be fair of all the people who should get to do that, it should be her, not Liu Kang or Kung Lao or any other "hero" - of all the "good guys" she suffered most because of Shao Kahn. If my dad was killed and mother brainwashed like that, I'd wanna cut the fucker up as well.

Scorpion's solo chapter was sad, seeing Hanzo die in his past self's arms, but I liked the idea of past Scorpion realising his future human self restored the Shirai Ryu and so joins everyone in the fight against Kronika. I still think there was more mileage in Hanzo Hasashi and an older wiser Kuai Liang, though.

I don't even like Sonya Blade, but seeing her blow past Kano (and by extension future Kano)'s brains out was also joyous. Her daughter's still unbearable though. I loved older Johnny Cage having to deal with the arsehole he was as a younger man. They've really done well making Johnny the comedy guy of MK, without him being a total goofball.

The ending was the mother of all reset buttons, yet still changes things. Raiden is now mortal, having basically made FIRE GOD LIU KANG (Past Liu Kang and Revenant Liu Kang fused with Raiden's god powers) the proetctor of Earthrealm, and the keeper of time, tasked, with Kitana at his side, to rebuild history. It was nice to see a happy end for him as he's basically died in two timelines now.

You could tell they were going to do something like a reboot/reset at the end, by giving certain characters closure like that.

MK12 will be another reboot I'm sure, but now Liu Kang is in Raiden's spot, it would seem. There's also the matter of revealing beings higher than the Elder Gods, i.e. the Titans that Kronika belongs to. So I'm thinking that's where they'll go.

That said, doing a wacky crisis-y story like this was too soon. MKX set up the potential of a new tournament (Kotal Kahn seeing what Raiden became after Shinnok's defeat, asks the Elder Gods to reinstate the Mortal Kombat Tournament as a means of preventing Raiden from invading) and the threat of a Netherrealm invasion if Raiden doesn't strike first. That should have been the final straw, then Kronika steps in to  restart shit.

Gonna go through the ladder endings, heard some weird ones are in there but they seem to be variations on a theme.

Kelvin

I agree with a lot of that Spiteface. I also thought the story highlights were Kitana becoming ruler of Outworld, and Scorpion's death. The conflict between the two Johnny's was good too.

That said, I kind of feel like the ending undermines a lot of those moments, since - at least until we know what happens in the next game -  it feels like most of the character status quo changes are rendered irreverent by Kronika successfully reversing time. At least with 9, when Raiden did that, the series was already feeling tired and flabby, and they actually used the mechanic to relive a lot of the events that had been "deleted". Whereas here, watching Kitana become Queen of Outworld feels undercut by the knowledge that it's all destroyed a few hours later, and anything that survives will be a different version created by Liu Kang.

I also feel like they squandered Evil Raiden, and the potential of him coming to blows with the heroes. He came across as a complete badass in those early scenes, and I'd have loved to get more of that stuff, or at least more scenes of "good" Raiden being tempted and slowly changed by the amulet. 

Overall, I enjoyed it, though, daft and nonsensical as much of it is, and there are lots of punch the air moments that pay off years of following these games and their characters.

Spiteface

So the Kombat Pack DLC has been done, and now Netherrealm announces the "Aftermath" expansion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFOG_IMK4kQ (contains spoilers for MK11's story ending)

So in this, in addition to new story we're seeing the return of Fujin (his first playable appearance in the rebooted timeline), Sheeva (not that shocking as she was in the story mode already), and as a guest character...

ROBOCOP.

MKX allowed us to do Alien vs Predator, now MK11 will let people do Robocop vs Terminator

Also, stage fatalities are back in, as are Friendships.

Fighting game-wise, Soul Calibur 6 and Tekken 7 have been taking up my time at the moment, but this could well pull me back to MK11.

Kelvin

Great trailer, I didn't read your post so didn't know what to expect, and the last two scenes made me laugh out loud.

Spiteface

Ed Boon's posted Sub-Zero's Friendship on twitter:

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1258020173539414017

He's also confirmed that Peter Weller is voicing Robocop.

QDRPHNC

The last thing I remember about MK is quite liking the chap with the hat in the third one.

Mister Six

RoboCop Vs Terminator is really tempting me. Is MK fairly newbie-friendly? I'm a button-mashing idiot who hasn't played a fighting game properly since Marvel Vs Capcom 2 on the Dreamcast. Also will the story be incomprehensible to someone who will absolutely never read up on 25 years of convoluted lore?

I quite also fancy playing as Hellboy in that DC one.

Spiteface

Quote from: Mister Six on May 06, 2020, 07:40:12 PM
RoboCop Vs Terminator is really tempting me. Is MK fairly newbie-friendly? I'm a button-mashing idiot who hasn't played a fighting game properly since Marvel Vs Capcom 2 on the Dreamcast. Also will the story be incomprehensible to someone who will absolutely never read up on 25 years of convoluted lore?

I quite also fancy playing as Hellboy in that DC one.

MK is no more impenetrable than any other fighting game. Just find a character you like and get stuck in, gameplay-wise.

As for the story? Bit of a weird one, as while the series underwent a reset of sorts in 2011 (Mortal Kombat 9 being a retelling of 1-3, but Raiden is aware of how future events may pan out), but the old timeline of 1-Armageddon is still canon. So it can be 25 years, but 9 is more like it.

Again, just get stuck right in. They hardly reference anything beyond 1-3 and bits of 4 anyway.

Mister Six

AsparagusTrevor

I love the MK games (baring the piss-taking grind of The Krypt) but, fuck, the fleecing has gotten to a ridiculous level.

I know it's par for the course these days but I miss the days of unlockable characters and costumes.