Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:24:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

MORTAL KOMBAT 11

Started by Spiteface, January 17, 2019, 06:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiteface

Mister Six

Not very friendly, most of these, are they? Shouldn't Scorpion give that bear to his opponent? That bird enjoying a glass of wine while her opponent slumps into unconsciousness isn't very friendly either.

Spiteface

To be fair, Scorpion's MK2 friendship was him shilling merchandise.

Jax playing the Saxophone is gonna be memed to death, I'm sure of it.

Kombat Kast tonight showcasing Fujin. Just stay away from the rampant transphobia in the YouTube comments if you watch.

Mister Six

What's the trans connection?

Spiteface

Quote from: Mister Six on May 20, 2020, 05:41:54 PM
What's the trans connection?

Stephanie Brownback who's senior QA analyst at Netherrealm, and 1/3 of the team that usually does the Kombat Kasts, came out as trans last year. Quite often you see comments along the lines of "What's that thing in the middle?" or deliberately still calling them "Steve" or using he/him pronouns. Same kind of people who think there's an "SJW agenda" now the female characters stopped looking like stripper versions of those characters.

Mister Six

Ughhh cunts.

I didn't realise - of course the "Kast" is a thing with real humans on it. I thought it was all going to be clips of the game, so thought Fujin was a trans character, which would have been a cool surprise in this franchise.

Spiteface

They have retconned some characters since MK9's reboot, so that would have been an interesting angle, and given Fujin's a god, wouldn't matter what gender they were.

New Aftermath launch trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aRmP509Ook

Spiteface

Downloaded Aftermath and did the Story expansion last night.

Absolute masterstroke bringing back Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang Tsung. More than just fanservice for anyone who loves the movie (still the best adaptation of a game ever), he's just brilliant throughout. Excactly the scheming manipulator Shang Tsung's always been in MK.

Not quite as fanservice-y as the main MK11 story, but still has a great time with this. It's basically story for the non-guest DLC guys, i.e. Shang Tsung, Fujin Sheeva etc. Next bit is going to be spoiler-tagged, so be warned:

Spoiler alert
So, as indicated in the trailer, the canon vanilla MK11 ending is the "middle" ending, the one where it's FIRE GOD LIU KANG and mortal Raiden about to rebuild history. It's here that Shang Tsung, Fujin and Nightwolf interrupt starting the "Aftermath" story. Basically, when Liu Kang beat Kronika, her crown was destroyed. Without it, the hourglass will be destroyed if Liu Kang attempts to create a new timeline. Shang Tsung promosing they go back in time, to his island, to retrieve the Crown.

Essentially we get a Back to the Future 2 scenario for Aftermath.

Of course Shang Tsung's been planning to stab everyone in the back the entire time, and so we get the final battle of the story mode between Shang Tsung, using the power of Kronika's crown and Fire God Liu Kang. You're presented a choice of which side to pick, like Injustice 2, basically, and this is what gives us the 2 endings.

Picking Fire God Liu Kang and winning results in the "good" Ending, which leaves him as the keeper of time, and protector of Earthrealm. The final scene depicts the Wu Shi Academy, centuries ago and we see a monk carving a dragon statue, which if you remember MKX, is the one Kung Jin attempted to steal from Raiden's Sky Temple. This monk is the "Great Kung Lao" and he is approached by Liu Kang, who is about to select him as Earthrealm's Champion to participate in the Mortal Kombat tournament.

As for Shang Tsung, this is the "bad" Ending and is him, with Fujin and Dark Raiden as his minions, having subjugated Earthrealm, Outworld and Netherrealm, with Chaosrealm and Orderrealm the next targets.

As much as I think Liu Kang's ending will be the canon one, I love the idea of Shang Tsung being the big bad of MK again. Chaosrealm and HAvik are referenced by him in the Aftermath story, so I like the idea of them reintroducing bits of the 3D era again, as weird as those games were.

The Liu Kang ending still leaves the idea of another MK reboot happening, and it would be cool for them to flesh out Great Kung Lao's character, as it would be rebooting MK, without even having to go near the familiar cast if need be, while sidestepping a "New generation" scenario which almost NEVER works in fighting games (only Tekken has pulled it off, and even then they're all alongside Kazuya etc)
[close]

Spoilery stuff out of the way, Mortal Kombat 11 is still one of the best-looking fighting games out there right now. The only one that comes close will probably be Guilty Gear Strive, but in a totally different way.

What I've enjoyed with how MK11 was done, is they've used actual actors' faces to render the characters. Feels like the logical evolution to what they were doing in MK1-3. But it's also uck more colourful than the brown/grey slush of MKX, just look at a stage like the Shirai Ryu Fire Garden, stunning.

Mister Six

Does RoboCop have a story mode? Is OCP hanging with Goro or whoever the baddie is these days?

Spiteface

Robocop has an Arcade mode ending like everyone else in the game. Voiced by Peter Weller, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCrlUGfjeyc

Mister Six

Wayhey! That's a movie I want to see.

Kelvin

I watched the Aftermath story content. Thought it was great, for what it was. As Spitey says, Shang Tsung is the standout, just the very definition of a guy you love to hate, and played with such relish by Tagawa. Feels right that
Spoiler alert
all the timelines finally reach their conclusion with a battle between him and Lui Kang, considering their rivalry since the very first game.
[close]

H-O-W-L

Shame they couldn't get the triumphant Robocop theme for that ending.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Why doesn't Robocop have the metallic reverb effect on his voice? Was the Arnie impersonator so unconvincing that they didn't want to risk anyone doubting that they'd got Weller?

H-O-W-L

From what I've seen he has it in gameplay, I believe it's because the ending is narrated in his head.

Spiteface

So the inevitable hacking of the PC version happened and how we can have characters doing other characters' Friendship moves.

Every character taking selfies, Cassie Cage-style.

I particularly like Noob Saibot having a go at the 1:32

Mister Six

Christ, the graphics on this are amazing. Why do some of them change costume at the end?

Mister Six

I went mad and watched that all the way to the end. Why do the robots get to use filters but nobody else does?

Spiteface

Quote from: Mister Six on June 04, 2020, 08:36:52 PM
Christ, the graphics on this are amazing. Why do some of them change costume at the end?

Agreed on the graphics. I'm impressed how well each character's facial expressions match the original. I've seen hacks of other games where they make a character do other characters' moves and the face often goes wonky. The facial renderings in MK11 impress me far more than the Itchy and Scratchy-level violence. Some very attractive people in MK11.

As for the costumes, it's not a full costume change, but it tends to happen with masked characters. The masks seem to come and go during fatal blows, too. I think it's just a quirk of how they're programmed. Like Noob Saibot's unmasked, then after a point the mask from his "The Batman Who Laughs" skin reappears.

The filters are a bit odd, yes. Don't know why those are there. Easter egg because Netherrealm knew people would do that?

Mister Six

That's cool. I guess the disappearing headgear is another pre-emptive move on the devs' part, removing masks from the other characters so we can see the facial expressions better.

Funnily how the blokes' facial rigs can't pout properly. Why would they need to, I suppose?