Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:58:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Rider

Started by rjd2, January 17, 2019, 07:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjd2

Interest spiked by this popping up on a lot of best of lists around Christmas time. The story is not the most complex, rodeo rider injured trying to figure out what to do while he recovers from injury in what is a really dangerous "sport" in South Dakota where nothing seems to happen.

However its very good, the actors who for the most part are playing versions of themselves (1st time actors galore) are great, the lead especially and his real life sister who has special needs.

Looks beautiful also.

Trailer below which captures the tone of the film perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlrWRttLTkg

Z

I liked it a lot, saw it in an empty cinema on opening week which is a real shame for a film that's obviously gonna look great.  Didn't know the cast were all partially playing themselves but pieced it together fast enough to not be bothered by the weaker side performances and weird inclusions (eg the autistic sister felt like a bizarre addition initially).

Plot wise and lead character wise, this film played into a lot of aspects I just totally lap up so I loved it but am a bit wary of my own taste there. She definitely got lucky with the lead guy because he was great playing himself.
Doubled up as a pretty good introduction to rodeo culture, I thought. I'd have to see her other film to know for sure but I get the impression she could really mine into making these types of films forever if she wanted