Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:43:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

People who can't be #Cancelled

Started by thecuriousorange, January 17, 2019, 10:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: phantom_power on January 18, 2019, 10:41:53 AM
Everyone was doing it then. If you got Bowie you would have to #cancel the whole 70s

He started in the 60's, but anyway:

The whole 70's.

NoSleep

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 18, 2019, 11:03:14 AM
that's what i was referring to, people talked about it around the time that he died and the consensus seemed to be "nah, just let us have this one"

I thought this was a wish list rather than a list of those that haven't been cancelled as yet.

phantom_power

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 18, 2019, 11:03:14 AM
that's what i was referring to, people talked about it around the time that he died and the consensus seemed to be "nah, just let us have this one"

I think in part because some of the people who made claims had stories that didn't quite add up, added to the whole "it was the 70s" thing

phantom_power

Quote from: NoSleep on January 18, 2019, 11:05:29 AM
I thought this was a wish list rather than a list of those that haven't been cancelled as yet.

Is it not more people who are cancel-proof?

Quote from: NoSleep on January 18, 2019, 11:05:29 AM

I thought it was "people who appear to be, or probably would be cancel-proof"

Quote from: phantom_power on January 18, 2019, 11:05:52 AM
I think in part because some of the people who made claims had stories that didn't quite add up, added to the whole "it was the 70s" thing

added to the complication that the girl in question still seems perfectly happy with what happened, which may incur a shrug and a feeling of "okay, probably a waste of time re-litigating this"

Obviously, those who are greatly loved by the public are a bit harder to cancel. See David Bowie, who was sainted upon his death. He's untouchable. John Peel too.

NoSleep

Quote from: phantom_power on January 18, 2019, 11:06:49 AM
Is it not more people who are cancel-proof?

Looking back, it does seem I missed the point, but the Bowie one seems to have passed a lot of people by (that I've spoken to), compared to the allegations against Page (or even Peel).

phantom_power

I think the conflicts in the stories mean it hasn't been as widely publicised, plus his 70s image of sexy alien lady man provides a bit of a shield as well. Hiding in plain sight if you will

king_tubby

Iggy Pop too.

He even wrote a song about it! No-one cares.

Gainsbourg might be the ultimate, a man who defied #cancellation every second of his life

Paul Calf

Quote from: phantom_power on January 18, 2019, 10:41:53 AM
Everyone was doing it then. If you got Bowie you would have to #cancel the whole 70s

I'm OK with that.

Duckula

Quote from: bgmnts on January 17, 2019, 11:28:36 PM
Limmy

He got someone kicked out of his gig a couple of years back on a very flimsy pretense (who was on this forum). Always thought he was a bit of a cunt after that.

Cuellar

Was that the thing with that 'Rachel' person (dunno if that's her real name) who was tweeting things like 'Gonna be front row centre for the Limmy gig', 'Going to run on stage and just grab him and not let go' or somesuch stuff. The upshot being it sounded like she might 'do something while he was on stage', so he got her barred from the show.

In my opinion it was borderline - I thought it was a bit rum, but then you don't want someone at a show who has publicly said they're going to run on stage and do something to you. Someone might at the time of course, anyone might, but if you had a way of finding out who those people were before the show began you might well think of ways to stop them attending.

Twed

The Lurker

Dec maybe? That said, there was still a lot of sympathy for Ant for his drink driving charge on those ITV daytime shows where conveniently a lot of the people defending him (Eamonn Holmes, Holly & Phil, some talentless people on Loose Women) had the same agent as Ant.

Stephen Fry seems like a fair choice too, I guess. Agree with Limmy too.

Cheryl Tweedy/Cole/Fernandez-Versini. Remember the time we all forgot when she beat up a toilet attendant but it's okay cos she's apparently the nation's sweetheart?

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 17, 2019, 10:27:54 PM
Meryl Streep

She got in a bit of bother recently after she applauded Roman Polanski at some awards show. The GIF is used on Twitter, by people who don't know its context, when someone "spills the tea, sis".

Cuellar

Nah, Stephen Fry is ripe for a cancelling. You felt the tremors when he said that stupid thing about MPs expenses. And given that he's always been a vocal 'You've got no right NOT to be offended' guy, it surely can't be long before a full on cancellation occurs.

chveik

Crabwalk

Quote from: Cuellar on January 18, 2019, 02:34:26 PM
Was that the thing with that 'Rachel' person (dunno if that's her real name) who was tweeting things like 'Gonna be front row centre for the Limmy gig', 'Going to run on stage and just grab him and not let go' or somesuch stuff. The upshot being it sounded like she might 'do something while he was on stage', so he got her barred from the show.

In my opinion it was borderline - I thought it was a bit rum, but then you don't want someone at a show who has publicly said they're going to run on stage and do something to you. Someone might at the time of course, anyone might, but if you had a way of finding out who those people were before the show began you might well think of ways to stop them attending.

That's not what happened. He was an absolute cunt to her and it did put me off him as a person.

BlodwynPig

Cuellar

Quote from: Crabwalk on January 18, 2019, 04:33:35 PM
That's not what happened. He was an absolute cunt to her and it did put me off him as a person.

Oh right. Really?

Crabwalk

I don't think it should all be dragged up again. I just didn't want that (unintentional, I'm sure) mischaracterisation of Rachel to be hanging there unchallenged.

Cuellar

Fair enough

edit: just reread the thread where it all got raised, too hard to make a judgement at this distance in time and with the tweets in question having been deleted.

So I dunno. For me, Limmy is #notcancelled

Quote from: Cuellar on January 18, 2019, 04:23:38 PM
Nah, Stephen Fry is ripe for a cancelling. You felt the tremors when he said that stupid thing about MPs expenses. And given that he's always been a vocal 'You've got no right NOT to be offended' guy, it surely can't be long before a full on cancellation occurs.

He very nearly got #CANCELLED for this a couple of years ago: https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2016/apr/12/stephen-fry-fury-comments-abuse-victims-self-pity-charity-mind

lazyhour

mr. logic

Eminem pretty much got away with describing a gay man as a faggot last year. Obviously, he's got away with that word in the past too, but he's supposed to be a hero of the left these days, with his Trump bashing.