Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:39:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Tipping Point in Dance Culture - Hitman & Her visit the Hacienda

Started by studpuppet, January 18, 2019, 10:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

studpuppet

Thirty years ago today - I rolled in from the pub and H&H suddenly looked and sounded like it was transmitting from another planet. Up until then clubs were basically Shalamar, Shakatak and 'Dancing Queen' with an erection section at the end (check out this show from Sheffield in 1988). Then this - people there to dance all night rather than get drunk and cop off with each other. It was a revelation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx3lwaSoGps

Shit Good Nose

My sister used to frequent the Hacienda in the late 80s and early 90s with some of her friends (getting a coach from Bristol bus station at least once a fortnight, usually once a week in the summer) and I remember that H&H's descending on the club coincided with one of their visits - could well have been the vid linked (unless the show went there on more than one occasion?).  They were horrified to learn that the usual acid and Madchester stuff had been replaced with chart hits of the day and the regular clientele had been replaced with yuppies and the Top of the Pops crowd wearing pink knitted jumpers and tight white chinos.  They bid a hasty retreat and ended up going to one of the other Madchester clubs nearby, where The Charlatans were playing one of their first live shows.

imitationleather

I like that within the first few minutes that guy says the atmosphere is shit.