Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:40:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Intelligence

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, January 18, 2019, 07:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I really like intelligence, It's such a good thing. For example, when you're reading some classic mid-period Clive James, like his 70s era " Observer"  telly reviews, or his book reviews, you cannot help but be moved to think " What an intelligent feller ", and you'll let him off with occasional ephemeral smugness.

I really do like intelligence, being in no small measure due to me being a thick cunt, and not even remotely intelligent. Ah, a good clever book, something by Cormac McCarthy at his most expansive, dropping long words all over the place...top stuff.

Good old intelligence, eh ? I'm quite the fan.

bgmnts

Me clever. Me like clever brain too

getting the fuck out of here before someone starts up some Charles Murray shit

biggytitbo

Do you know who is really intelligent? Not you you thick cunt!

marquis_de_sad

I prefer the word smart. Leaner, sleeker; it sums me up. A smart guy.

I only allow smart things in my house. Smart phone, smart watch, smart fridge. A black and white poster of Malcolm Gladwell, arms crossed, wry smile. Smart things are quick. Taking more than fifteen minutes to say anything is not smart, buddy. Sum it up in an infographic or don't waste my fucking time. My smart lights turn red if I tell them to. Can your lights do that? My toaster has wifi. I can eject the crumb tray from the office, which I do regularly. Corners are inherently archaic. My money is smart: bitcoin, monzo, wonga. Cash? The past called, they want their wallet headshots back. I have every TEDTalk cloud streaming 24/7 in every room in my house. Entrepreneurial. Sustainable. Multi-platform. I can talk to any subject. Talk to it directly. If you have to ask yourself if you're smart, you're already obsolete, my man.

Sebastian Cobb

The difference between intelligence and knowledge is finding links between disconnected bits of information; take my builder mate, really clever and insightful at times, but also knows fuck all.

If you consider 'clever' to be 'knowing things' you're almost certainly thick.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 18, 2019, 08:29:21 PM
The difference between intelligence and knowledge is finding links between disconnected bits of information; take my builder mate, really clever and insightful at times, but also knows fuck all.

If you consider 'clever' to be 'knowing things' you're almost certainly thick.

Agreed, I would rather someone had the ability to utilise knowledge to reach rational conclusions, whatever the breadth of the knowledge. This is why people with only basic/zero education frequently reach better conclusions make than those who have been educated to the purportedly highest standards, even if they don't understand certain words or can't articulate how they arrived at the conclusion very well.

Twed

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 18, 2019, 08:29:21 PMf you consider 'clever' to be 'knowing things' you're almost certainly thick.
I think this every time I see an episode of Eggheads. What a bunch of stupid motherfuckers.

PlanktonSideburns

not that bothered about intelligence in a friend, - willingness to shenenagin/dance, and sense of humor come in way before i think.

many of the cleverest and most intuitive people i know have probably never read anything over 30 pages long

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Actually, I 've changed my mind. I prefer unintelligence. You know where you are with thick people. Why, of course I know what a parking meter is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on January 18, 2019, 08:50:25 PM
not that bothered about intelligence in a friend, - willingness to shenenagin/dance, and sense of humor come in way before i think.

What if they were a bit like duhhhhh duhhhhhhhh urrrrgggghhhhh duhhhhhhbbbbbb like a bit duhhhhhhhhhh mrrraaaaarrrrrrrrrruuuuuhhh duuuhhhhh

Just asking because there's a great guy I know who I think you'd love

PlanktonSideburns

That's half my workmates

My favourite person in work doesn't even know how teeth work

Send your mate over

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Remember Smiffy from The Bash Street Kids ? Great guy. I can imagine having a pint and a good chat with a grown up, non- cartoon version of him. Unpretentious type. Salt of The earth. Unless he was one of those " learning difficulties " types. Can't be doing with that. Too much hassle.

me i value rationality above all, which is why my heroes are Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Jordan Peterson, Ben Shapiro, Steven Pinker, Douglas Murray, Sam Harris, the Google memo guy, Jonathan Pie, Graham Linehan, Aaron Sorkin, William F. Buckley

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Can't be bothered with reading the entire works of that Danish born author  what wrote loads of pulpy paperbacks set during world war two. Too much Hassel.

chveik

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 18, 2019, 09:15:32 PM
me i value rationality above all, which is why my heroes are Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Jordan Peterson, Ben Shapiro, Steven Pinker, Douglas Murray, Sam Harris, the Google memo guy, Jonathan Pie, Graham Linehan

some people using the term "rationality" under false pretenses doesn't mean that rationality is a bad thing. I know that it's hardly a mindblowing thing to say but it doesn't make it less true.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I want to kill myself. I don't want to ungum my eyes to blinkingly perceive another desperate, loveless day of hopeless desolation, of torpid trudge to worthless work, of unappreciated toil, of numbing by alcohol anaesthetic, day in day out, week in, week out, month in, month out, year in year out, decade in, decade out. I really don't.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: chveik on January 18, 2019, 09:20:13 PM
some people using the term "rationality" under false pretenses doesn't mean that rationality is a bad thing. I know that it's hardly a mindblowing thing to say but it doesn't make it less true.

my point wasn't that 'rationality is a bad thing' so agreeing with platitudes is not really that necessary. we'll still wake up in the morning with everything intact. all the fundamentals

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 18, 2019, 08:33:39 PM
Agreed, I would rather someone had the ability to utilise knowledge to reach rational conclusions, whatever the breadth of the knowledge. This is why people with only basic/zero education frequently reach better conclusions make than those who have been educated to the purportedly highest standards, even if they don't understand certain words or can't articulate how they arrived at the conclusion very well.

JUST KEN ON WITH IT!!!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 18, 2019, 09:21:06 PM
I want to kill myself. I don't want to ungum my eyes to blinkingly perceive another desperate, loveless day of hopeless desolation, of torpid trudge to worthless work, of unappreciated toil, of numbing by alcohol anaesthetic, day in day out, week in, week out, month in, month out, year in year out, decade in, decade out. I really don't.

I am again suffering from existential dread - it's paralysing. But I want to do the OPPOSITE of suicide. What is the opposite of suicide?

Sin Agog

the opposite to suicide is wanking

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 18, 2019, 11:46:07 PM

wanking into the void, forever

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 18, 2019, 11:46:07 PM

Auto-erotic accidents excepted.

St_Eddie

hummingofevil

Up to the age of 18 I was considered super fucking smart as I'm really good at solving moderately difficult Physics and Maths problems that literally millions of others can solve. Got a masters degree in Theoretical Physics from a 5 star rated University and am a self identified "shit Renaissance man" (thank you to whoever it was on here who penned that).

I'm now 40, jobless, happy, but feel thick as fuck and I was sold a lie. I can't do the business world at all, freak out at the mearest hint of confrontation (15 years of teaching in The Toon might be part of the problem) and would love to be something creative but I'm just shit at it.

I've just watched the Japanaese Metropolis Anime movie. Sat through every frame in absolute awe. The genius that's gone into that is unfathomable to me. It's an absolute masterpiece.

As Limmy once said to someone who asked him advice about being a comedian: "be born funny".