Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:03:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Martin Scorsese's favourite films (as complied by MUBI).

Started by Glebe, January 19, 2019, 03:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

MARTIN SCORSESE'S FAVORITE FILMS.

Quoteall titles are gleaned from various sources, lists, interviews, etc.

That's some list (includes a couple of TV shows too, including Fawlty Towers!). Delighted to see Quatermass and the Pit on there!

Discuss.

batwings

NoSleep

Some top films in there and lots of films I've never seen that I will be encouraged to look up. Some omissions from my own favourites, though (no John Carpenter, no G.W.Pabst are the first to mind; and I didn't expect to see any Peter Watkins or Jon Jost). I knew The World's Greatest Sinner would make it to this list (a young Frank Zappa did the soundtrack and thought it the worst movie ever) but is it superior to Pabst's The Threepenny Opera? I don't think he likes commies.

EDIT: No Lynch, either.

Quote from: NoSleep on January 19, 2019, 12:22:07 PM
Some top films in there and lots of films I've never seen that I will be encouraged to look up. Some omissions from my own favourites, though (no John Carpenter, no G.W.Pabst are the first to mind; and I didn't expect to see any Peter Watkins or Jon Jost). I knew The World's Greatest Sinner would make it to this list (a young Frank Zappa did the soundtrack and thought it the worst movie ever) but is it superior to Pabst's The Threepenny Opera? I don't think he likes commies.

EDIT: No Lynch, either.

Thing is this was a list put together from films he's mentioned liking in various places rather than a definitive list made by him. So no doubt they used the films he talked about when he made the Personal Journey Through American Movies documentary in the mid 90s. But he cuts that off around 1970 because he says that's when he was coming up and a lot of his friends were too and it felt unfair for him to single out certain films by people who he considered friends. So the films after 1970 don't actually make up a large part of this list, so you can't really see a director being absent as indicative of anything, simply that they couldn't find any sources where he mentioned their films.

NoSleep

If this has been compiled by others from the public record then that explains a lot, especially if they used Personal Journey Through American Movies as a principal source.

Yeah, the person who made it has done similar with other directors. Tarantino etc

https://mubi.com/users/56649/lists

but I think Edgar Wright is the only person to actually have compiled a list the rest are all drawn from sources.

bgmnts

How Green Was My Valley should cancelled.

Only one Welsh actor in the film, a bit part. Fuck off.

Epic Bisto

Glad to see Blood On Satan's Claw, Aguirre and Death Line in the list. The man has good taste.

And I seriously thought the poster who mentioned Problem Child above was taking the piss.

fucking ponderous

Bazooka

zomgmouse

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on January 19, 2019, 08:22:00 AM
Good to see Problem Child in there.

They used this in Cape Fear when De Niro's character is at the cinema being a bullhead with a cigar.

kngen

Not one but two films that have received the MST3K treatment (Invasion USA and This Island Earth). I can't help but feel being included on this list would more than compensate for the former.