Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:37:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

TOTP/singles chart heyday

Started by Garfield And Friends, February 23, 2004, 04:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Here's the list of the Top 50 greatest selling singles artists ever (source: Channel 4). (And some other related links)

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/entertainment/music/articles/9287816?source=PA

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/showbiz/articles/9287138?source=Daily%20Mail
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/showbiz/3512695.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3511299.stm

Back in the day (the 70s and 80s), fighting up the charts to get into the top 40 meant you had to sell a heck of a lot of sales. Nowadays, we know that the singles chart is dying a death (for many reasons - other targets of disposable income/chart manipulation/P2P sharing/higher pricing/shittier music/short-term 'idol' pop etc.), and that musical acts need to only sell a relatively small amount to grace the upper echelons of the Top 40 chart.

I have fond memories of watching TOTP in the early and mid eighties. There were singles that climbed week-upon-week, something that I don't recall happening since the mid 90's. Even now, one of my favourite programs on TV is TOTP2, where I get the chance to watch groups from the 60s/70s/80s (and some 90s even getting a look in) perform.

Does anyone here feel, like me, that it's a shame that TOTP is long past it's 70s/80s heyday? Yeah, I understand that it's meant to reflect the weekly sales of music, and hence if the current singles chart situation is in poor health (like it is now), that there is little TOTP can do to make things better.

(BTW, goody goody - a thread where I get to use the word 'echelons'. Super!)

falafel

The chart climbing single is rare nowadays, isn't it. I got mucho pleasure from seeing 'Hey Ya' constantly rising back up the ranks (until a week or two ago, adimttedly). Generally, I'm an album man myself, but popular music in general has been built around the idea of 'the song', hasn't it.

I wasn't around in the 70s or the eighties (well, not in any real sense). I did like TOTP in the 90s, though. It still isn't that bad - despite the devil Andi Peters taking over the enterprise and turning it into early-evening CD:UK - it's just that the music's shit, like you say.

Gazeuse

It certainly used to feel like an 'event each week.

Seeing groups like Wizzard, Slade, Sparks, Rolling Stones etc... put in fantastic performances and having a laff was really worth looking forward to each week.

The only time since then I've been excited by a TOTP performance was when KLF did Grand Central Station.

It seems to be mostly music for people who don't like music very much.

Vermschneid Mehearties

I've stopped paying attention to the charts since 2000, and got into a load of new bands just from recommendations on the net.

Amazingly, some of my friends are under the impression that the entire music industry is shit because the charts are full of shit. They haven't got the connection yet that there's loads of good new music out there beyong the charts, and it's bloody easy to find nowadays.

Albums still sell well, and I wouldn't ever download an album, though I wouldn't bat an eyelid about downloading a song I like. Perhaps that's why the record industry hates the download generation. We're in control over what we want any more, and even though they blame downloaders for destroying the singles charts, they still need our money- somehow.

Sorry about the meandering nature of the post, but it's just about all there.

Canavaro

WH Smith have stopped selling singles, I understand

I can now frequent their stores without potential Busted incidents, I hope

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"I've stopped paying attention to the charts since 2000, and got into a load of new bands just from recommendations on the net.

there's loads of good new music out there beyong the charts, and it's bloody easy to find nowadays.
I'm inclined to agree. Just reading recommendations from people posting here, or listening to sample MP3s in Stereo Excursions has led me to buy a number of different albums from amazon.co.uk.

And of course there's loads of music forums on the net, and plenty of music review sites too (pitchfork etc. etc. etc.).