Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:33:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Software engineers: managing interference

Started by Twed, January 19, 2019, 06:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 08, 2019, 09:26:10 AM
What's wrong with managers
dabbbling in the "codebase"?
The real problem is that
people seem to think the the internet is
a giant truck that you can just dump
massive quantities of information on,
but it isn't, it's a series of tubes that
can get jammed when people place
a massive load into them.
My own staff sent me an internet
last month but it didn't arrive until tomorrow because it got tangled up in the tubes.

Want to hear Angrew do this Dylan cover

Z

Quote from: Twed on February 08, 2019, 02:55:31 AM
The first couple of years! These days the respect for the job is so low that this would be a couple of months.
Tbf this is a double sided thing. Everywhere is used to people coming in and leaving the second they're trained up to go somewhere better, aren't they? Why wait a year for a decent pay increase when you can get one right now by switching jobs. Seems to be much easier from a political standpoint to keep hiring new people instead of making a genuine effort to retain the existing mid level people who understand the system.

Twed

I'm venting a lot here, probably portraying things as more negative than they are. I sat everybody down to have a conversation about software quality today. I don't think it was particularly understood, but it plants a stake in the ground I guess.

Sebastian Cobb

I'll come back to this, but it sounds like you need exactly the sort of person that's making my life difficult, but necessary at the moment. A non-hands-on technical shit buffer that can simultaneously placate management but enforce code-quality by sitting everyone down and agreeing a 'definition of done'. Make them be the cunt that proposes things like the 'three amigos' and 'example mapping' and let nature take its course. Demand someone like this and swallow your pride when they listen to them floating ideas you've been floating for ages.