Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:26:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BREXIT GOES BACK AND FIFTH

Started by Replies From View, January 21, 2019, 10:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where you at?

May's agreement
4 (4.6%)
No deal
12 (13.8%)
General election
9 (10.3%)
Cancel A50
44 (50.6%)
Vandalising my cock and balls
7 (8%)
Syndicating every boat I row
1 (1.1%)
Fish heads, fish heads, eat them up:  yum.
7 (8%)
Wearing a test tube over my knob and wanking the test tube with a tea cloth
3 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Buelligan

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on January 21, 2019, 10:01:55 PM
Would "xenophobes" be a better description? They are scared of foreign people.

Pubic hair, you mean?

Replies From View

I like him.  He has Edd the Duck hair.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: mothman on January 21, 2019, 09:02:56 PM
Pfft, you bloody blogged about it enough.

My best and only real contribution on this forum. Thinking of a re-re-watch soon. Keep eyes peeled

BlodwynPig

mothman

Oh noes! The PM says a second referendum would damage social cohesion! Since when have they ever gave the remotest flying fuck about social cohesion? Why, the Blessed Maggie said there was no such thing as society anymore! It's almost like she's trying to get the Tories onboard with one. "Damage social cohesion? Shut up and take my money! Ha-ha, just kidding, it's never our money that's taken..."

BlodwynPig

Quote from: mothman on January 21, 2019, 11:19:17 PM
Oh noes! The PM says a second referendum would damage social cohesion! Since when have they ever gave the remotest flying fuck about social cohesion? Why, the Blessed Maggie said there was no such thing as society anymore! It's almost like she's trying to get the Tories onboard with one. "Damage social cohesion? Shut up and take my money! Ha-ha, just kidding, it's never our money that's taken..."

They are scared of the electorate. They are terrified that the slouches will rise up from their sofas and protest, riot, burn down parliament. The cowardly shitsnipes.

Paul Calf

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/21/labour-calls-for-vote-in-commons-on-holding-second-referendum

QuoteIt is the first time the party has asked MPs to formally consider a second poll, although the carefully worded compromise amendment did not commit the party's leadership to backing a referendum if such a vote were to take place.

The wording called for May's government to hold a vote on two options – its alternative Brexit plan and whether to legislate "to hold a public vote on a deal or a proposition" that is supported by a majority in the Commons.

I don't think this will end well.

Paul Calf

Especially when considered with the mealy-mouthed promise of 'a strong relationship with the Single Market'.

biggytitbo

They're still trying to straddle as many positions as possible to give themselves maximum leeway. As you say, 'strong relationship' with the single market and 'dynamic alignment' literally mean nothing, you can't go into an election or a referendum with that as your policy.

Paul Calf

Well, they seem, to think they've reached an acceptable agreement with the EU should they ever be in government to make it happen, but they're being less than honest with voters about the specifics.

biggytitbo

I'm not aware labour have any agreement with the EU at all? How could they have?

Paul Calf

They've been over there talking. I'd be very unsurprised to see a withdrawal agreement spring fully-formed with some progress made on EU approval the day after a Labour victory.

biggytitbo

This is the Guardian so they've almost certainly misrepresented the position somewhere, but Corbyn has had meetings with Michel Barnier - https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/27/i-will-work-to-avoid-national-disaster-of-no-deal-brexit-corbyn-tells-eu

QuoteJeremy Corbyn has sparked fresh fears in Brussels of a no-deal Brexit after saying during talks with senior EU Brexit officials that he will vote down anything that fails to deliver the same benefits as membership of the single market and customs union.

The same benefits but none of the downsides Jeremy? Thats a unicorn position unless you're basically saying we just stay in the EU?

Paul Calf

Echoes of Gordon Brown's position on the Euro, I think.

Buelligan

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 22, 2019, 11:05:14 AM
This is the Guardian so they've almost certainly misrepresented the position somewhere, but Corbyn has had meetings with Michel Barnier - https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/27/i-will-work-to-avoid-national-disaster-of-no-deal-brexit-corbyn-tells-eu

The same benefits but none of the downsides Jeremy? Thats a unicorn position unless you're basically saying we just stay in the EU?

What kind of leader would suggest taking a path and actively pursue it, that led to loss of benefits, let alone downsides, for the people?

Sherman Krank

Just flicked over to BBC Parliament to see if anything of interest is occurring and discovered that they're currently showing live and uninterrupted coverage of Norman Lamb's Japanese Knotweed Committee, so that's me sorted for a name for my next fake Soundcloud band.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Buelligan on January 22, 2019, 11:13:48 AM
What kind of leader would suggest taking a path and actively pursue it, that led to loss of benefits, let alone downsides, for the people?

Well not everyone agrees on what the downsides and benefits are, that's why we're in the current situation.

But the minimum we should expect from any leader, whether its May or Corbyn, is a position that's actually possible?

biggytitbo

QuoteUK, ICM poll

What should be the PM's next steps?

No Deal: 32%
Second Referendum: 27%
Extend Article 50: 23%
Renegotiate a 'Harder Brexit': 21%
Resign: 15%
Renegotiate a 'Softer Brexit': 15%
Call election: 12%
Original deal: 9%

Field work: 16/01/19 – 18/01/19
Sample size: 2,046

No deal was the most popular option at skys people's panel the other day too, and got a massive round of applause and a cheer on last week's Question time.

jobotic

Sky also found that (I think I'm remembering this correctly) that 28% of those who said they wanted no deal thought it meant calling the whole thing off and staying in the EU.

And I think it's been established that the QT audience aren't exactly representative.

Buelligan

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 22, 2019, 11:25:59 AM
Well not everyone agrees on what the downsides and benefits are, that's why we're in the current situation.

But the minimum we should expect from any leader, whether its May or Corbyn, is a position that's actually possible?

But the basis of his statement (and your criticism) rests on downsides and benefits. 

You can't say it's impossible to leave guaranteeing the same benefits and no downsides and when that's challenged, say well, who defines what benefits and downsides are?   

That's unreasonable, that's moving the goalposts, do you see?

And Corbyn is being perfectly clear and rational, he does not advocate putting Britain on a path that will produce loss of benefits and perceivable downsides for its people, as you know, there is at least one way in which that can be achieved.

biggytitbo

QuoteLen McCluskey, the Unite general secretary and one of Jeremy Corbyn's closest allies, will visit Number 10 today for talks with Theresa May about Brexit, Channel 4 News's Gary Gibbon reports.

Len's there, but not Jeremy.

Grieve also saying article 50 will have to be extended even if Mays deal passed, as there is so much legislation that needs passing it can't be done before March 29th.

Howj Begg

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 22, 2019, 11:28:54 AM
No deal was the most popular option at skys people's panel the other day too, and got a massive round of applause and a cheer on last week's Question time.

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1087564994571657216?s=09

QuoteUK, Sky Data poll:

"Would you support or oppose the UK leaving the EU without a deal?"

Support: 46%
Oppose: 54%

Field work: 18 January 2019
Sample size: 1,021

biggytitbo

Even 46% is somewhat surprising isnt it? Considering its universally portrayed as the end of days.

Buelligan

And that 28%, so well over half of that tranche, think that No Deal means staying in the EU apparently?

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 22, 2019, 11:34:23 AM
Len's there, but not Jeremy.

Meaning what?

Howj Begg

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 22, 2019, 11:36:25 AM
Even 46% is somewhat surprising isnt it? Considering its universally portrayed as the end of days.

Not that surprising, but the important point is that it's not leading, even in your post, where non no-deal options added together exceed it.

Paul Calf

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 22, 2019, 11:28:54 AM

BBC bias and panel-stuffing "OK" says CaB's biggytitbo.

"Oh," he adds, "remember to trust the government".

NoSleep

I would have gone with BREXIT: THE FIFTH AND THE FURY

DrGreggles

QuoteUK, ICM poll

What should be the PM's next steps?

No Deal: 32%
Second Referendum: 27%
Extend Article 50: 23%
Renegotiate a 'Harder Brexit': 21%
Resign: 15%
Renegotiate a 'Softer Brexit': 15%
Call election: 12%