Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:17:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BREXIT GOES BACK AND FIFTH

Started by Replies From View, January 21, 2019, 10:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where you at?

May's agreement
4 (4.6%)
No deal
12 (13.8%)
General election
9 (10.3%)
Cancel A50
44 (50.6%)
Vandalising my cock and balls
7 (8%)
Syndicating every boat I row
1 (1.1%)
Fish heads, fish heads, eat them up:  yum.
7 (8%)
Wearing a test tube over my knob and wanking the test tube with a tea cloth
3 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 87

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dr Trouser on February 12, 2019, 04:17:30 PM
Just to be clear, I was suggesting that his performance in the House was particularly rubbish given the massive cock up from the benches opposite - he appeared to read (somewhat awkwardly) a prepared rant worthy of a shop steward, rather than present himself as a leader in waiting.

I await my cancellation

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 12, 2019, 03:23:52 PM
Dr. Trouser cancelled. Is that how it works?

Dr Trouser

Quote from: Buelligan on February 12, 2019, 04:35:51 PM
As I said, I'm not sure what cancellation is but the measured tone of your remarks about shop stewards indicates to me that you'd probably be happier cancelling them (whatever that means). 

Out of interest, who do you see as an example at the moment of someone, presumably someone who does not rant like a shop steward, conducting themselves like a leader in waiting?

Waiting for ages and then whole load of cancellations come along at once

I refer you to above re my opinion about Shop Stewards, I guess reading it back it might sound like I was using it pejoratively.

As for an example of someone conducting themselves like a leader in waiting, I am at a loss with the whole lot of them

BlodwynPig

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 12, 2019, 04:43:27 PM

His first gag was a belter though. I don't think Corbyn is that effective when he goes ranty and it doesn't play well when it's clipped up which is mostly what this is for these days. Dont know if you've noticed but they're both really struggling to speak clearly recently, constantly stumbling over their words. You'd think considering this is basically the exact same exchange they've had the last half dozen times they'd have it nailed by now.

Spend a day in their shoes, mate.

Buelligan

Quote from: Dr Trouser on February 12, 2019, 04:45:43 PM
I refer you to above re my opinion about Shop Stewards, I guess reading it back it might sound like I was using it pejoratively.

As for an example of someone conducting themselves like a leader in waiting, I am at a loss with the whole lot of them

No "guess" or "might" about it.  I'm sure you're a great egg, I've certainly never thought otherwise nor wished you cancelled neither but these are trying and difficult times.  I beg you most sincerely not to speak of shop stewards ranting (no women wiggling, no commies fomenting, no gypsies sidling) unless that is really where you are coming from.

katzenjammer

Professor Michael Dougan summarises in 20 minutes the absolute mess we're all in.

https://youtu.be/VF2__1sxKiA

Cuellar

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: katzenjammer on February 12, 2019, 08:18:31 PM
Professor Michael Dougan summarises in 20 minutes the absolute mess we're all in.

https://youtu.be/VF2__1sxKiA

Oh, fuck.

biggytitbo

Guy Verhofstadt:
QuoteI love Italy, it's the place where our European civilization was born. From being a staunch defender of Europe, it is now the country that under pressure from Putin prevents the EU from being united against Maduro.  It's very painful for me to see such political degeneration.

Calling another EU country degenerate for not supporting a CIA regime change operation. That's the same EU that remained silent when the French and Spanish state where using brutal fascist bully tactics against their own people isn't it. Really shows where their priorities lay.

Paul Calf

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 13, 2019, 07:19:39 AM
If it's not obvious by now, I have absolutely nothing, having abandoned every single one of my economic and social arguments gradually, hoping that you hadn't noticed.

FTFY.

biggytitbo

Why are they more vocal about events thousands of miles away that are fuck all of their business than people been brutally subjugated in Spain or gassed in France? Serious question, nobody seems to have an answer.

Zetetic

Because the EU consists of its member states.

As has been repeatedly observed over these threads, the EU isn't invested with much practical power or independence. Its decisions and positions are overwhelming those of compromise between its.members.

(The alternative view seems to be that the EU is uncontrollable and its law is magic.)

Zetetic

I know I've noted that the EU hasn't been able to reign in Article 2 violations, state aid violations or.pollution violations where member states have been determined to ignore it (and by extension, their fellow.members).

biggytitbo

Quote from: Zetetic on February 13, 2019, 08:14:48 AM
Because the EU consists of its member states.

As has been repeatedly observed over these threads, the EU isn't invested with much practical power or independence. Its decisions and positions are overwhelming those of compromise between its.members.

(The alternative view seems to be that the EU is uncontrollable and its law is magic.)

Riddle me this, riddle me that, what does this even mean? The gestalt entity argument makes no sense when they're actively criticising one of their own members as 'degenerate' for not agreeing with a CIA regime change op 4000 miles away. The EU leadership are being incredibly mouthy about this, even by their own standards, but if that is degenerate enough to warrant such a response why are they so silent about human rights abuses in their own member states?

jobotic

Remind us what the Tory view is again?

Paul Calf

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 13, 2019, 08:51:14 AM
Riddle me this, riddle me that, what does this even mean? The gestalt entity argument makes no sense when they're actively criticising one of their own members as 'degenerate' for not agreeing with a CIA regime change op 4000 miles away. The EU leadership are being incredibly mouthy about this, even by their own standards, but if that is degenerate enough to warrant such a response why are they so silent about human rights abuses in their own member states?

You don't understand; none of this is an argument for leaving the EU. If you want to talk about the faults of the EU, that's fine but in this case, it's difficult to see how your criticism of the EU has any bearing on whether Britain should remain a member.

Paul Calf

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 13, 2019, 08:07:54 AM
...gassed in France...

Your daily reminder that Biggy's not above a bit of sensationalism when he knows the case is making won't stand on its own merits.

Buelligan

Why are you even indulging this Paul?  It's very tedious.  Shitting up the thread with another round of hyperbolic repetition that has no bearing at all on reality, has already been discussed and it purely there to allow another venting, no points will be taken on board, there will be no understanding, that is not point.  Very fucking tedious.

biggytitbo

It's a reasonable argument against if one of the persistent arguments for remaining is that the EU is some kind of progressive internationalist institution, when it's words and deeds show it to be otherwise. It's not progressive and it's internationalism is bankers, global capital, fortress Europe and NATO expanionism.

Dr Trouser

I'm with Biggy on this. The behaviour of the EU over Catalonia was pathetic and bear in mind we have no idea what was actually discussed between Brussels and the Spanish PM. The behaviour of Macron also needs questions re the gillets. Of course if the uk press hadn't had a D notice slapped on the reporting we might actually get some balanced views but the info I get from my friends and colleagues in Toulouse looks pretty grim. Apologies as they're all middle class professionals so clearly have an agenda.

Quote from: Buelligan on February 13, 2019, 09:25:23 AM
Why are you even indulging this Paul?  It's very tedious.  Shitting up the thread with another round of hyperbolic repetition that has no bearing at all on reality, has already been discussed and it purely there to allow another venting, no points will be taken on board, there will be no understanding, that is not point.  Very fucking tedious.

It seems to me that biggys posts are tedious or thread-shitting depending purely on how difficult they are to answer. The better the point he raises, the more venom he receives. If he really stumps people then it's time to go full on character assassination (where he works, what he looks like etc)
Still, he continues to display good humour and class as an example to the more highly strung forum members who put against him.
I am a bit in love with biggy it has to be said. He's such an underdog on here.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Dr Trouser on February 13, 2019, 10:29:31 AM
if the uk press hadn't had a D notice slapped on the reporting we might actually get some balanced views

Where did you get this information? It's not listed on http://dsma.uk/

Paul Calf

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on February 13, 2019, 10:30:40 AM
It seems to me that biggys posts are tedious or thread-shitting depending purely on how difficult they are to answer.

That's your opinion and you're perfectly entitled to be wrong.

Dr Trouser

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 13, 2019, 10:32:47 AM

I think it was confirmed by the Salford news team. I'll have a look when I'm back at my desk. There was a screen cap showing the process flow for YV stories, so probably not a formal D notice - I'll dig it out.

Paul Calf

(Not being smart by the way - I genuinely want to know. Sorry if it came across as aggressive.)

biggytitbo

I have heard there is a D-notice too but at the very least it's clear the European media are going easy on the story - there were major riots again at the weekend, people injured, tear gas used, cars ablaze - very little coverage and obviously no word from the EU leadership who love to mouth off about our internal politics or stuff 1000s of miles away thats is nothing to do with them.

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on February 13, 2019, 10:30:40 AM
It seems to me that biggys posts are tedious or thread-shitting depending purely on how difficult they are to answer. The better the point he raises, the more venom he receives. If he really stumps people then it's time to go full on character assassination (where he works, what he looks like etc)
Still, he continues to display good humour and class as an example to the more highly strung forum members who put against him.
I am a bit in love with biggy it has to be said. He's such an underdog on here.

Thank you! I personally find a lot of the more hostile reactions on here not to be entirely genuine, as we have got to the point where literally nothing negative can now be said about the EU or us leaving it that isnt met with utter, disproportionate fury, which is not rational.

Dr Trouser

No. It's a fair point, facts are thin on the ground at the moment.

I don't know if the BBC or itv or sky have an agenda as such but given they broadcast 24 hours a day they've probably got time to cover most things, but it seems I have to get a lot info from colleagues and friends which is a bit odd.

Paul Calf

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 13, 2019, 10:46:49 AM

Thank you! I personally find a lot of the more hostile reactions on here not to be entirely genuine, as we have got to the point where literally nothing negative can now be said about the EU or us leaving it that isnt met with utter, disproportionate fury, which is not rational.

It would be a start if you, or any other leaver, could present an example of a benefit of leaving the EU. Five threads and still waiting.

You could also stop making shit up, but then you'd be reduced to acting as a link aggregator for the most dishonest people in the world.

jobotic

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 13, 2019, 10:46:49 AM

More "if you love the EU so much why don't you marry it" drivel. No one here thinks the EU is above criticism, no one. Compare and contrast with your reaction whenever Putin is criticized.

Still, what do I know, I'm not rational?

Quote from: Dr Trouser on February 13, 2019, 10:29:31 AM
I'm with Biggy on this. The behaviour of the EU over Catalonia was pathetic and bear in mind we have no idea what was actually discussed between Brussels and the Spanish PM.

I agree that Rajoy's handling of it was appalling, but why do you think it was the place of the EU to be interfering in a member state's domestic affairs?  The Catalonian independence movement is yet another example of tyranny of the minority, and - like Brexit - I would like to hope that it didn't end in a situation where a good 50% of Catalans end up being hoisted out of Spain and the EU against their will.  This is a difficult issue which needs some sensitive handling, and it's not one for the EU to be involving itself in.

I'm dismayed by the rise of the right in Spain right now, and all accounts show that the pro-independence Catalan parties are likely to side with the right wing parties (PP, C's, Vox) in voting against the budget proposals.  All of which probably means a snap election is due which will almost certainly be won by some or all of the aforementioned parties in coalition.  A sad time for Spain, and likely the marginalisation of the left for the moment.

thraxx

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 13, 2019, 10:32:47 AM

Yes - I'd like to know more on this too. It's obvious that the French media are not reporting stuff, but if there is a D notice in the UK that's a big ting.