Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:44:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dead Man's Shoes & Shane Meadows in general

Started by madhair60, January 21, 2019, 11:31:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

Interestingly enough both the brothers in DMS (Considine and Kebbell) both played Rob Gretton the manager of Joy Division, in 24 hour party people / Control, which is a nice little bit of trivia I like repeating.

As for DMS I always took it that Richie was ashamed of his brother, but his revenge streak was a way of trying to 'fix' the relationship that he never had with his brother out of shame, but having killed almost all of the thugs, he realises it's too little too late and knows that there's no coming back from this. There's no cathartic ending or anything of the sort, he's just as lost as he was before he murdered them, but now he has absolutely nothing left now that his revenge has been satisfied. It's a brilliant subversive ending, just utterly cold, harrowing and gritty.

Room for Romeo Brass completely took me unawares, I genuinely thought it was a coming of age film or something, but that too took a really good turn when Considine's character changed from the lovable yet strange loner to the reality that he was genuinely mentally ill and dangerous. Considine is fucking brilliant.

Put me in the camp of people who actually enjoyed Once upon a time in the Midlands. Not as good as the two films mentioned above, but not bad either.

Also Considine's Tyrannosaur is fucking brilliant. If you enjoy gritty English bleak stuff.

phantom_power

I am sure Romeo Brass was marketed to hide the twist as I thought it was a coming of age film as well and the change in Considine really shocked me. I still think it is his best performance, just astonishing

Bazooka

Quote from: phantom_power on January 24, 2019, 07:15:30 AM
I am sure Romeo Brass was marketed to hide the twist as I thought it was a coming of age film as well and the change in Considine really shocked me. I still think it is his best performance, just astonishing

Agreed.

magval

Bob Mortimer's favourite film, too. He's always banging on about it.

lipsink

Quote from: Kryton on January 24, 2019, 02:39:22 AM
Room for Romeo Brass completely took me unawares, I genuinely thought it was a coming of age film or something, but that too took a really good turn when Considine's character changed from the lovable yet strange loner to the reality that he was genuinely mentally ill and dangerous. Considine is fucking brilliant.

I'll never forget first seeing that moment. I felt like his character had grabbed me by the neck. A terrifying moment when you realise the whole film has changed.

Is Morell meant to be autistic? If that film was made today there'd probably be a Twitter storm about how it portrays all people on the spectrum as dangerous psychopaths.

SteveDave

Quote from: phantom_power on January 24, 2019, 07:15:30 AM

"Fucking tuck into that"

I was agog at the shift in tone too and genuinely thought they were going to end the film with Morrell putting his hammer through Knock Knock's dad's head.

Jerzy Bondov

Morrell does this cool hand spin with the hammer. Always liked that.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Kryton on January 24, 2019, 02:39:22 AM
Also Considine's Tyrannosaur is fucking brilliant. If you enjoy gritty English bleak stuff.

Journeyman is ace too.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on January 23, 2019, 10:43:09 AM
I was 18 when TSR came out and I was ripe for it, I loved everything about them, even though I've had no issues about wearing a tie for work, even though I followed them around in 1988-89.  Not in a stalkery way, I just went to a lot of their gigs and watched them go from getting about fifteen people to about 6000...

I bet we were at a few of the same gigs. ian's then g/f was a production assistant at brooky, where I worked, & we were the only two 'indie' types there, so we'd talk about bands & stuff. one day she gave me a cassette & said "this is my boyfriend's band's demo- have a listen".... may or june 1985, this was. in june, I went to the hacienda to see the mary chain, with primal scream supporting & gillespie playing in both bands. pete hook was one of the bouncers, & so on... that night I stayed at ian's place, & after that I was over there every few weekends, getting wasted, seeing the roses gigging, going to the flicks with ian & his mrs. saw them play to ten people more than once, though 'planet x' in liverpool was particularly bad. then as it got bigger... backstage at the leadmill, looking over the contracts they were being offered... pete garner leaving suddenly (I tried to buy his painted bass but the shop where he'd dumped it had already ruined john's paint-job). after I moved to london in late '89, I'd sometimes stay with them if I had a job in manchester... one weekend I had to work at trafford (footy OB) & called their flat. "oh, it's you", she says. "I thought it was the police again. ian & the band have gone to rockfield to record, but they stopped off to do a bit of decorating on the way, & now the police are after them."
that weekend, at john's house, I watched a video of them (playing in a warehouse in 1985), along with ian's g/f, john's g/f (who also worked at cosgrove-hall then) & john's brother. I went upstairs for a slash & there, on the top step, was a small tin of paint that had got left behind.

aye, & john robb... he was always hanging around at roses gigs too.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on January 24, 2019, 06:41:04 PM
I bet we were at a few of the same gigs. ian's then g/f was a production assistant at brooky, where I worked, & we were the only two 'indie' types there, so we'd talk about bands & stuff. one day she gave me a cassette & said "this is my boyfriend's band's demo- have a listen".... may or june 1985, this was. in june, I went to the hacienda to see the mary chain, with primal scream supporting & gillespie playing in both bands. pete hook was one of the bouncers, & so on... that night I stayed at ian's place, & after that I was over there every few weekends, getting wasted, seeing the roses gigging, going to the flicks with ian & his mrs. saw them play to ten people more than once, though 'planet x' in liverpool was particularly bad. then as it got bigger... backstage at the leadmill, looking over the contracts they were being offered... pete garner leaving suddenly (I tried to buy his painted bass but the shop where he'd dumped it had already ruined john's paint-job). after I moved to london in late '89, I'd sometimes stay with them if I had a job in manchester... one weekend I had to work at trafford (footy OB) & called their flat. "oh, it's you", she says. "I thought it was the police again. ian & the band have gone to rockfield to record, but they stopped off to do a bit of decorating on the way, & now the police are after them."
that weekend, at john's house, I watched a video of them (playing in a warehouse in 1985), along with ian's g/f, john's g/f (who also worked at cosgrove-hall then) & john's brother. I went upstairs for a slash & there, on the top step, was a small tin of paint that had got left behind.

aye, & john robb... he was always hanging around at roses gigs too.

Wow, you sound like you were well in amongst it all.  I saw them all over - Leeds a few times, Sheffield, Hull, Preston, Lancaster, etc.  There were always people going backstage but I was pretty shy, certainly not up to going and asking to go backstage.  As here often weren't all that many people around, I saw the same faces quite a lot.  The closest I got was Mani patting me on the shoulder and saying, 'You again?' and a couple of nods from the others.

The other thing was I went by myself so I wasn't bolstered by being in a crowd.  None of my mates were into them until much later, they were still a bit raincoaty at that point.  The crowd was generally a bit lairier than I expected, even early on.  I was - I liked to imagine - a bit arty and literate and that side appealed to me, although I realised that had there not been a bit of Manchester-la-la-la, it might have turned into a chin stroking nodfest.

I was, I have to admit, totally obsessed. 

Great stories, by the way.  I'm still not really over the 88-89 era.  I as at an impressionable age and din't really know anything much about anything outside the mainstream and what they said and did guided me and I'm grateful for it. 

Kryton

Both Room for Romeo Brass and Dead man's shoes are on youtube btw.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Kryton on January 25, 2019, 01:09:00 AM

Perfect timing thanks Kryton, inspired by this thread I was just looking for my DVD of it and realised I sold it a few years back.

Bazooka

I hadn't watched DMS or This is England for a while, it was a real pleasure to show it to my girlfriend, she loved them both. She was asking a lot of questions about the skinhead culture in TIE, never such a thing in China.

Bazooka

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on January 25, 2019, 01:25:43 AM
Perfect timing thanks Kryton, inspired by this thread I was just looking for my DVD of it and realised I sold it a few years back.

You don't deserve to see it again.

Mobius

Quote from: Kryton on January 25, 2019, 01:09:00 AM

Thanks I watched DMS for the first time last night and it was fucking brilliant

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Bazooka on January 25, 2019, 10:20:16 AM
You don't deserve to see it again.

To be fair I was so broke I had to sell 75% of my DVD collection on MusicMagpie and Romeo Brass on its own got me about £3 as opposed to the 10 to 15p you get for something like Spice World.  Grim enough to have been turned into a Shane Meadows script, really. Speaking of which, I rewatched Romeo Brass last night and wondered how much of it was scripted and if some of it was done Curb Your Enthusiasm style with improv based around a general scene idea. Some of Paddy Considine's weird lines really seem like he came up with them on the spot.

The Culture Bunker

I remember catching 'Dead Man's Shoe's' on TV sometime in the middle of the last decade, purely by accident and late at night. I thought "oh, it's him from 24 Hour Party People" and stayed tuned in for that. Great decision as it was a superb watch, and, yeah, the twist at the end caught me off-guard.

Coming from a small town in the arse end of nowhere, I did kind of recognise these pathetic wannabe gangster characters who are tough nuts to the locals, but utterly inept against anyone with any kind of willpower.

Sebastian Cobb

It's easy to forget that in amongst the sheer grimness there's wannabe gangsters charging about in a fucking 2CV. What an amazing touch.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 25, 2019, 09:33:37 PM
It's easy to forget that in amongst the sheer grimness there's wannabe gangsters charging about in a fucking 2CV. What an amazing touch.
Not just a 2CV, but a 2CV Dolly special edition with the stripy canvas roof - the campest of all 2CVs.

(it's still on the road, too)

Mister Six

gib

Quote from: Mobius on January 25, 2019, 07:29:53 PM

Just watched it for the first time, thanks thread people, would recommend.

Kryton

Quote from: Mister Six on January 25, 2019, 11:39:31 PM
And they have one gun, and it's shit.

I was thinking about this the other night, does Richie not give a flying fuck if he's shot or not when he pushes Al whilst Sunny is aiming the rifle at him? Or does he just assume Sunny's gun will be shit, or do we assume Richie earlier tampered with the sights when he broke into his house? Bit of a risk to take.

It's the ONE part of the film where he's not in control of the situation.

Sebastian Cobb

I assume he knows they'll stumble or not have the fortitude to shoot him if he keeps up acting fearless.

buzby

Quote from: Kryton on January 26, 2019, 12:00:48 PM
I was thinking about this the other night, does Richie not give a flying fuck if he's shot or not when he pushes Al whilst Sunny is aiming the rifle at him? Or does he just assume Sunny's gun will be shit, or do we assume Richie earlier tampered with the sights when he broke into his house? Bit of a risk to take.

It's the ONE part of the film where he's not in control of the situation.
Richard keeps Al between him and Sonny. Even for an experienced marksmam, taking a successful shot at the part of Richard's head that visible behind Al's from 100 yards would be difficult.

Sonny was using what looks like a Savage 111 .22 bolt-action rifle fitted with a small (maybe 1.5x-6x) scope. Later in the film Richard uses what looks like a Glock 17 9mm pistol to execute Sonny. which would have been his service pistol in the Paras.

Mobius

Quote from: Mobius on January 25, 2019, 07:29:53 PM

Hello last night I watched Romeo Brass which was also fucking brilliant

imitationleather

I think Romeo Brass is peak Meadows. His other films are largely variations on the themes it contains. I know it's not a popular opinion but I see him as someone who only had one really, really good film in him. It is a really good film, though.

Actually thinking about it Dead Man's Shoes is top as well and it's not a retread of Romeo Brass in the same way something like This is England is. Scrub what I said about this (and everything else I comment on).

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Mobius on January 26, 2019, 10:03:16 PM

Try Twenty Four Seven next if you've not done so already. I prefer it to the other two as it's less fucked up so could bear repeat viewings.

gib

Quote from: Mobius on January 26, 2019, 10:03:16 PM

agreed, what's the next film you're going to watch the day before i do

Mobius

I wasn't sure what one to do next. Once Upon A Time sounds like a romance so not keen. Is Le Donk actually good? I love Paddy and like the Arctic Monkeys, and it says it's like Spinal Tap. Small Time sounds the most similar to the two I've just watched I think?

gib

Would do, but it isn't on youtube nor is it on putlockers.