Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:48:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dead Man's Shoes & Shane Meadows in general

Started by madhair60, January 21, 2019, 11:31:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Small Time is very low key and amateurish but good fun. Not on the same level as Romeo Brass or DMS

magval

I can see about uploading Le Donk if yiz want.

Cuellar

Seen Dead Man's Shoes a few times and always 'enjoy' it - but I don't think I could watch Room for Romeo Brass again, found it really uncomfortable.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

A Room for Romeo Brass is indeed a very compelling film with great performances, but I've always found the ending rather unsatisfying: Everyone is saved from Morrell because Romeo's big tough dad comes along and re-establishes the nuclear family status quo. It basically turns the whole film into some strawman argument against single mothers.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 27, 2019, 04:38:50 PM
A Room for Romeo Brass is indeed a very compelling film with great performances, but I've always found the ending rather unsatisfying: Everyone is saved from Morrell because Romeo's big tough dad comes along and re-establishes the nuclear family status quo. It basically turns the whole film into some strawman argument against single mothers.

Yeah I love the movie but I've never entirely been sure what it was trying to say. Romeo's Dad is clearly a violent jerkhole just spoiling for a fight, Morell is a bonkers Incel with no friends. Neither of them should have any contact with the kids' families and yet Romeo's Dad's intervention at the end leads to the Magic Show ending scene that's clearly meant to be read as uplifting.

gib

How about this for a take. Men are trouble. But you need to keep a testosterone one around or else another one will get you.

Yeah i suppose that is a bit dodgy.

And why was the selfish weak dad so happy to kneel for the hammer? How does that fit into my theory?

phantom_power

I'm not sure it is trying to say anything. I think it is just realistically how that sort of thing would play out. Morell only dominates people who are physically weaker than him, like all bullies, and caves when confronted with someone stronger. The dad would then be seen as a hero for saving them and therefore redeemed a bit for part sins. I don't think it is a message film

Beagle 2

Dead Man's Shoes is up there, possibly my favourite ever film. However powerful that ending is though, including him saying that his brother was an embarrassment, I do always burst out laughing when he does his spazzy impression, because I am five years old.

Both that and Room for Romeo Brass resonate so much with me, having grown up in those kind of dead-end places full of disfunctional groups of oddballs and bullies.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: phantom_power on January 28, 2019, 07:11:03 AM
I'm not sure it is trying to say anything. I think it is just realistically how that sort of thing would play out. Morell only dominates people who are physically weaker than him, like all bullies, and caves when confronted with someone stronger. The dad would then be seen as a hero for saving them and therefore redeemed a bit for part sins. I don't think it is a message film
Wouldn't it be far more realistic for someone to just phone the police and have Morell arrested? I don't think it's a massive leap to suggest that Meadows wrote the ending the way he did for a reason.