Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:30:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Charity stream hosted to spite transphobic tosser Graham Linehan [split topic]

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, January 20, 2019, 01:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Linehan's off on one again. I think the latest rants may have been triggered by someone being inspired to raise money for Mermaids and everyone deciding to thank Graham because his bigotry inspired the fundraising. So #thanksgraham is trending and among other things Linehan this morning decided to post this to Twitter

QuoteFolks, In the same way that you don't tell anorexic kids they need liposuction, you don't tell vulnerable kids with feelings of dysphoria that they need surgery and drugs. You certainly don't tell them fairy stories about being "born in the wrong body".

"Fairy stories"

Fucking hell.

Mango Chimes

The tragic thing is... That's true. You don't, and shouldn't. It's a complicated and messy and delicate subject. Which is why it's not greatly helpful for the writer of The IT Crowd to spend 24/7 stomping through it with his heavy-soled Twitter boots and the unwavering confidence of a massive twat.

Graham's on RTE2 on Tuesday, finally televising his nuanced and well-developed expertise on the subject.

St_Eddie

phantom_power

Presumably Mermaids doesn't tell kids with dysphoria that they need surgery and drugs? At least not without having done extensive reviews and counselling? Besmirching a charity like that is probably worse than the "fairy story" line for me, though it is a close call

Phil_A

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on January 20, 2019, 01:49:23 PM
Linehan's off on one again. I think the latest rants may have been triggered by someone being inspired to raise money for Mermaids and everyone deciding to thank Graham because his bigotry inspired the fundraising. So #thanksgraham is trending and among other things Linehan this morning decided to post this to Twitter

"Fairy stories"

Fucking hell.

Ahh, is it the hbomberguy charity stream he's responding to? I saw he made a point of specifically calling out Glinner in his announcement video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIM-GKRS9Vk

Quote from: phantom_power on January 20, 2019, 02:17:12 PM
Presumably Mermaids doesn't tell kids with dysphoria that they need surgery and drugs? At least not without having done extensive reviews and counselling? Besmirching a charity like that is probably worse than the "fairy story" line for me, though it is a close call

you got it. the activities of Mermaids have been repeatedly and obsessively mischaracterised

Funcrusher

look who has crawled out again, having a nice weekend?

it has been reported that they present gender stereotypes as objective science , when in the recording everyone was flapping over they actually say that the gender spectrum charts presented are just stereotypes

they are frequently cited as providing surgery, which they do not, or providing drugs, which reportedly they do not. they're a helpline and support group. a sort of Samaritans for young trans folk. that is all

Funcrusher

I haven't crawled out of anywhere, I post on here fairly regularly as and where I choose. Not sure that criticisms of Mermaids have ever centred on them providing surgery or drugs, but whatever.

Thursday

Yes you post fairly regularly to side with with cunts on every single social justice issue despite ostensibly being quite left-wing politically.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Thursday on January 20, 2019, 04:33:17 PM
Yes you post fairly regularly to side with with cunts on every single social justice issue despite ostensibly being quite left-wing politically.

A dislike of faux woke alt-centrism and a left wing political outlook align fairly naturally.

phantom_power

Quote from: Funcrusher on January 20, 2019, 04:10:24 PM
I haven't crawled out of anywhere, I post on here fairly regularly as and where I choose - you're confusing me with your mate (Ex poster). Not sure that criticisms of Mermaids have ever centred on them providing surgery or drugs, but whatever.

From Glinner:
"Folks, In the same way that you don't tell anorexic kids they need liposuction, you don't tell vulnerable kids with feelings of dysphoria that they need surgery and drugs. You certainly don't tell them fairy stories about being "born in the wrong body".

Funcrusher

Quote from: phantom_power on January 20, 2019, 04:48:59 PM
From Glinner:
"Folks, In the same way that you don't tell anorexic kids they need liposuction, you don't tell vulnerable kids with feelings of dysphoria that they need surgery and drugs. You certainly don't tell them fairy stories about being "born in the wrong body".

That's not accusing them of providing drugs or surgery.

Thursday

Quote from: Funcrusher on January 20, 2019, 04:42:26 PM
A dislike of faux woke alt-centrism and a left wing political outlook align fairly naturally.

No that's not it though is it? You doggedly defended harassment group Gamergate for years, many of the supporters of which morphed into the alt-right years later.

Now you seem to be siding with people attacking mermaids, who themselves are largely seem to be quite centrist (glinner) or right-wing people. In fact largely, the kind of people Glinner would have been arguing against during gamergate.

"dislike of faux woke alt-centrism" would be fine, i.e questioning very white middle class feminism, but once again you scrutinise that side, whilst being an apologists for the actual hateful bigots on the other side. You've done it for years.

It's like you're remaining wilfully oblivious to the kind of people you defend, because it's inconvenient. Either that or you just don't care.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Thursday on January 20, 2019, 04:55:27 PM
No that's not it though is it? You doggedly defended harassment group Gamergate for years, many of the supporters of which morphed into the alt-right years later.

Now you seem to be siding with people attacking mermaids, who themselves are largely seem to be quite centrist (glinner) or right-wing people. In fact largely, the kind of people Glinner would have been arguing against during gamergate.

"dislike of faux woke alt-centrism" would be fine, i.e questioning very white middle class feminism, but once again you scrutinise that side, whilst being an apologists for the actual hateful bigots on the other side. You've done it for years.

<Sigh> . Just writing "harassment group Gamergate" doesn't make it a fact, alleged right side of history or not. Must I be 'siding with people attacking Mermaids', who are predominantly so called TERFS, who I wouldn't see as particularly centrist anyway. I would really need to read more about Mermaids, but Susie Green does seem to have a fairly binary view on gender, based on her taking her son to the doctor because he was playing with dolls, and I don't know how I feel about her taking her son to have surgery at such a young age either. It shouldn't be above scrutiny, just like any other organisation that works with children. Nutters have accused me of being some kind of bigot for years - I could care less.

Funcrusher

Twed

Quote from: H-O-W-L on January 01, 2019, 12:05:04 PM
Fuck all. T'internet actually makes it easier for writers to get their shit out there and get established. It's entirely cultural bias and the fall of former 'greats' that makes it seem like we're 'losing' people.
This is a really, really good point. We feel like we're losing people because we're so accustomed to the idea of there being a handful of heralded figures that create things.

Great Satan

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is on the stream HA HA HA

You utter fool, Graham.

Mango Chimes

Incredible scenes. Meanwhile, LEGEND FEMINIST Linehan is on Twitter calling the London Women's March traitors.

Quote from: Great Satan on January 20, 2019, 11:17:07 PM
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is on the stream HA HA HA

Unbelievable. Grinning from ear to ear

One of the coolest things that has happened in a long time

bigfatheart

At this point, I think the only way back would be for him to have a special event celebrating Twitter's different genders, and then people won't think he's a big transphobe.

Unfortunately, he'd end it by saying 'Trans Women: A Great Bunch of Lads'.

(Apologies if this incredibly obvious joke has already been made)

thugler

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 20, 2019, 11:41:34 PM
Unbelievable. Grinning from ear to ear

One of the coolest things that has happened in a long time

Genuinely amazing and heart warming.

Phil_A

Astonishing. Who'd have thought Donkey Kong 64 could do such good for the world?

Great Satan

Grant Kirkhope had already appeared, of course, which is also fantastic.

Get Aphex on! Dril! David Lynch! Everyone!