Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:54:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Charity stream hosted to spite transphobic tosser Graham Linehan [split topic]

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, January 20, 2019, 01:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: phantom_power on April 10, 2019, 08:16:31 AM
I have no idea what he is trying to say. Hippies weren't revered or indulged and it is arguable whether Manson was a hippie at all. I am sure it is some twisted metaphor for his GC bugbear but I can't parse it

I've no idea what he's on about either, but it isn't even true that famous people gladly welcomed the Manson family into their homes. The only famous person who did that was Dennis Wilson from the Beach Boys, and he quickly regretted the decision. Linehan is talking out of his arse again.

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: Cuellar on April 10, 2019, 04:28:29 PM
What's the common denominator? Yes, twitter. Honestly, sack the whole lot in. If I worked for twitter I'd just pull the plug out one day 'woops sorry!'

It really is a steaming dung pile of all that's wrong with celebrity. I suppose for them it's instant gratification and feedback but the problem with most celebs is they have huge egos so they find it absolutely abhorrent if anyone dare critique them or even ask them a slightly pointed question.

The way some celebs send their followers to bully a nay sayer is revolting and it happens all the time.

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on April 10, 2019, 04:22:43 PM
Linehan and Gervais are very similar in terms of the downward trajectory in the quality of their output and also the fact they're both quite cunty and forceful about their beliefs. They also have ex writing partners who have abandoned them and gone on to do better work.

Maybe they should team up and write a sitcom about an atheist transphobe who loves kindness.

Gervais is probably on the upwards. After Life and latest stand up doing very well on Netflix raking in the moolah. Whereas Merchant's project list since is considerably more dotty and not quite as high profile or as high-performing.

idunnosomename

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on April 10, 2019, 09:19:01 PM
Gervais is probably on the upwards. After Life and latest stand up doing very well on Netflix raking in the moolah. Whereas Merchant's project list since is considerably more dotty and not quite as high profile or as high-performing.

Erm. Merchant just wrote and directed a Hollywood film that actually got into the cinema and was critically acclaimed.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fighting_with_my_family

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on April 10, 2019, 09:26:01 PM
Erm. Merchant just wrote and directed a Hollywood film that actually got into the cinema and was critically acclaimed.

Seems to have done alright business so far but I can't say it's been setting the world drastically alight.

Ferris

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on April 10, 2019, 09:34:44 PM
Seems to have done alright business so far but I can't say it's been setting the world drastically alight.

It's no David Brent: Life on the Road, certainly.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: neveragain on April 10, 2019, 07:11:17 PM
That was Arthur Mathews' show, nothing to do with Linehan.

Still, we can all agree that toast was a return to form eh

magval

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on April 10, 2019, 09:26:01 PM

He was in an X-Men film too, which is surely higher-profile than anything Gervais has done.

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: magval on April 10, 2019, 11:57:53 PM
He was in an X-Men film too, which is surely higher-profile than anything Gervais has done.

Yeah exactly and It wasn't just a bit role either. It was also a completely non comic performance which shows he has range which the Rickster is sorely lacking.

He's playing a gay rapist in his next role for The BBC drama The Barking Murders too so it's not like he's just swanning around living off past glories and making funny goggly eyed faces, which he is amazing at to be fair to him.

rue the polywhirl

So bit part in an X man movie ascends writing, directing and starring in your own Netflix series and stand up special? Strange times we're living in.

Cuellar

Merchant is the inexplicably (in the show anyway) successful and respected floppy haired man (can't remember his name) to Gervais's Andy Millman.

Ferris

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on April 11, 2019, 01:53:41 PM
So bit part in an X man movie ascends writing, directing and starring in your own Netflix series and stand up special? Strange times we're living in.

And as previously mentioned, the financially and creatively successful cinematic epic that was David Brent: Life on the Road. Don't forget to chalk that one up under Ricky's column.

marquis_de_sad

This post really ascended my expectations.

gilbertharding

Remember when Stephen Merchant was a Sunday afternoon BBC 6 Music DJ? Fuck me, that was awful.

What's this thread about?

phes

I don't think there's any denying that with Humanity and AfterLife Gervais has exited the transitional low of Life's Too Short and his bilge movies and is on his way back up. It's just that his stuff now is all hacky and incoherent, and for me pretty objectionable. Saw Fighting with my Family yesterday. It was coherent and decent enough. A solid, unspectacular addition to Merchant's collection. It's basically fucking rotten poisonous apples and oranges innit

DrGreggles

Bloody hell, he's even more to blame than I thought.

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 11, 2019, 02:51:07 PM
Bloody hell, he's even more to blame than I thought.

He does the catering on set too. There's strictly no cheese as that all goes into the script.

jsgibble

Quote from: phes on April 11, 2019, 02:50:35 PM
I don't think there's any denying that with Humanity and AfterLife Gervais has exited the transitional low of Life's Too Short and his bilge movies and is on his way back up.

Financially maybe, quality wise no

Dusty Substance

The cunt's still at it. Changing his username, avatar and cover picture on a nearly daily basis, claiming to be "not tweeting but faving", but still replying to anyone he sees disagreeing with him or using that dumb "beard" reply and has "Twitter is run by MRAs for the benefit of MRAs." in his bio. Looks like another ten or so people who I follow have recently unfollowed him, too (he's losing 130 followers a day, according to Social Blade).

Robin Ince made his first tweet in a few weeks at the weekend and Glinner and the TERF brigade were quick to jump on that thread.

Twed

The way he tries to twist things to paint his enemies as all being MRAs and incels is very telling that he knows deep down his shit doesn't fly. He needs that barrier of "well the people yelling at me are all evil and here is the specific terms to describe them".

bigfatheart

Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 22, 2019, 03:30:34 PM
Robin Ince made his first tweet in a few weeks at the weekend and Glinner and the TERF brigade were quick to jump on that thread.

Cue another 'There's nothing I hate more than bullies' interview, then.

PlanktonSideburns

sponk

Joe Rogan DEYSTROYS Adam Conover in Trans-Children Hormone Debate!!

Almost a million views in three days. The title is sadly accurate, even though Rogan was wrong and Conover was basically right. It's so depressing how few effective trans rights activists there are in the public sphere.

Puce Moment

Just out of interest, is there an intelligent debate about trans issues anywhere online? A video or a transcript or anything that presents different positions and angles on this subject, but is not dripping in caustic twitter juice?

I can't bring myself to watch fucking Rogan again.

jsgibble

Quote from: Puce Moment on April 23, 2019, 12:22:28 PM
Just out of interest, is there an intelligent debate about trans issues anywhere online?

A type of person isn't a debate. You may as well "debate" whether all gay men are pedophiles or whether all black people steal.