Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:12:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Charity stream hosted to spite transphobic tosser Graham Linehan [split topic]

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, January 20, 2019, 01:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 10, 2019, 02:02:35 PM
I can't find the post now, but did someone upthread say Charlie Brooker is (or perhaps was) a friend of Glinner's, and may have had words with him over this? Because I logged into Twitter today and was most surprised to see his friend and frequent collaborator Gia Milinovich has come over all TERFy and Glinneriffic. Sad to see from a so-called feminist (I went off her husband, Tim Hunt apologist Professor Brian Cox, years ago, so maybe not all that surprising). Oh well, time for another unfollow...

I've also been surprised to see a few alleged feminists who would previously have baulked at the "you're not a real woman until you've had a child" idea, but who are now using that very same argument to protest that transwomen aren't real women, because it now suits them to define a woman by her reproductive capabilities.

I think another Twitter clearout may be in order...
I've made reference to it a couple of times, yeah. That's a shame about Milinovich, she seemed quite cool. Then again, I liked Hadley Freeman when I was in my early twenties.

phantom_power

He has now made his Twitter account protected. I am not sure if that is better for him or worse

phantom_power

He had his account set to only see comments from followers anyway so this isn't much more of a step into his own little bubble

Ambient Sheep

One way to get his followers count back on the up, I suppose...

Josef K

Which prominent comedians/associates have actually called him out so far?

Off the top of my head, we've had:

Josie Long
Dylan Moran had a bit about trans people deserving respect in a show (and unfollowed him on Twitter)
Michael Kupperman - who drew his avatar
Emmy the Great

surely that can't be it?

Jockice

Quote from: Josef K on May 13, 2019, 02:19:34 PM

Josie Long
Dylan Moran had a bit about trans people deserving respect in a show (and unfollowed him on Twitter)
Emmy the Great

surely that can't be it?

Matt Lucas springs to mind. Although that may be just me imagining things.

jsgibble

Quote from: Josef K on May 13, 2019, 02:19:34 PM

Josie Long
Emmy the Great

surely that can't be it?

Shappi Khorsandi and Lolly Adefope have but for the most part it's still fairly taboo to criticise other people in comedy, even some now Jim Davidson-esque figures like Linehan. I've seen the occasional like by a comedian on a tweet criticising him but yeah, not a ton.

It's definitely more the case that people just can't be asked to deal with the tedium of it all rather than that they don't have any problems with him. A lot of people didn't like him before the recent stuff, let alone now. It's a shame

phantom_power

Michael Legge as well.

Christ that Lucas thread made me angry. Highlighting bad behaviour by individuals as proof that a whole subset of people are wrong or bad is such a cunt's trick

Ferris

garbed_attic

Quote from: phantom_power on May 13, 2019, 03:07:46 PM
Michael Legge as well.

Christ that Lucas thread made me angry. Highlighting bad behaviour by individuals as proof that a whole subset of people are wrong or bad is such a cunt's trick

Indeed - my trans and genderqueer friends are, frankly, the most considerate and lovely people I know (and our Tookish is alright too I guess ;)) and it's just as much as a cunt's trick as saying Jonathan King shows gay men are likely to also be paedophiles ffs... it's hideous that Lineham et al. either can't see how prejudiced and just plain ludicrous such argumentation is or simply don't care because they believe it furthers their agenda.

sponk

Quote from: gout_pony on May 13, 2019, 09:05:27 PM
Indeed - my trans and genderqueer friends are, frankly, the most considerate and lovely people I know (and our Tookish is alright too I guess ;)) and it's just as much as a cunt's trick as saying Jonathan King shows gay men are likely to also be paedophiles ffs... it's hideous that Lineham et al. either can't see how prejudiced and just plain ludicrous such argumentation is or simply don't care because they believe it furthers their agenda.

Wait, I don't think Linehan was saying Karen White is a rapist because they're trans. He was saying White is a male rapist pretending to be trans so they can get put into a female prison and have easy access to victims.

phantom_power

Quote from: sponk on May 13, 2019, 09:11:04 PM
Wait, I don't think Linehan was saying Karen White is a rapist because they're trans. He was saying White is a male rapist pretending to be trans so they can get put into a female prison and have easy access to victims.

But he is using that as proof of both trans women being aberrant and that they are invading cis women's spaces. Neither of which are true, obviously

garbed_attic

Quote from: sponk on May 13, 2019, 09:11:04 PM

Well, he's damning by association... but I also don't think he is just saying that since he doesn't believe, as far as I can tell, that **anyone is really trans or genderqueer** i.e. he seems to believe (or pretends to believe?) that anyone who identifies as such is either a man attempting to coerce or exploit lesbians or delusional... it's the same as gay scare arguments i.e. someone being gay is a marker of moral or spiritual deviancy.

Phil_A

It occurred to me to wonder if Adam Buxton recently going off twitter was anything to do this, considering Graham is a mate of his.

phantom_power

Quote from: Phil_A on May 13, 2019, 09:37:19 PM
It occurred to me to wonder if Adam Buxton recently going off twitter was anything to do this, considering Graham is a mate of his.

No I think it is more likely he either doesn't trust himself to not say something that will get himself #cancelled or he didn't like how confrontational the whole platform is now

keir

Quote from: phantom_power on May 13, 2019, 08:52:14 PM
It is unprivate now. Is he reading this thread?

It was never going to last, there's no way he was going to leave his account in a state where he couldn't get any retweets for any length of time.

Shaky

Quote from: Jockice on May 13, 2019, 02:58:10 PM
Ah. There we go. https://twitter.com/realmattlucas/status/1107814929401290753

Christ, that's hard to read. A difficult enough conversation between two friends in private let alone on fucking Twitter.

Buxton hadn't been tweeting much anyway, mostly just retweets and promotion. Which is sensible for a celeb I think, seeing all the shit people in the public eye get into I'm surprised more people aren't fleeing Twitter. Even if they're not actually doing anything themself people will call them out for following someone else who's got in trouble.

bgmnts

Cotton ceiling, 'kin 'ell.

We love our new terms when arguing on the internet don't we?

zomgmouse

I still can't get over the fact that people speculated that this all started from a petty reaction to the criticism of the trans woman episode of The IT Crowd and then it turned out that was literally what happened.

gilbertharding

How did The Cotton Ceiling go from being (as far as I can tell) an anguished cry from a transwoman complaining that women wouldn't consider her as a partner - to (in the eyes of the Transphobes) people DEMANDING Lesbians fuck men who've apparenly on a whim decided to identify as women, and pretending that was what it was all along.

Warped, is what it is.

phantom_power

Quote from: gilbertharding on May 14, 2019, 03:41:46 PM
How did The Cotton Ceiling go from being (as far as I can tell) an anguished cry from a transwoman complaining that women wouldn't consider her as a partner - to (in the eyes of the Transphobes) people DEMANDING Lesbians fuck men who've apparenly on a whim decided to identify as women, and pretending that was what it was all along.

Because a few people were a dick about it which allowed Linehan and co. to say "Look at them. That's all trans women that is"

idunnosomename

One week in the War on Women, also like one week or so into Glinner's twitter hiatus lol
https://medium.com/@glinner/one-week-in-the-war-on-women-bc070591198a
haha pope ted more like pope TANK

Jerzy Bondov

My reaction to Captain Marvel's short hair in Avengers Endgame has made me realise I'm a lesbian. Unfortunately I'm also a man.
Luckily Graham Linehan has given me the great idea to say I'm a woman so that with women with men's hair cuts are duty bound to sleep with me. Thanks Graham.

edit: I have now read Graham's medium post and realised it's very bad for a man to say he's a lesbian, whatever his thoughts on Captain Marvel's new hair. I have #cancelled myself.

Gerald Fjord

Graham should listen to "Twitter is not the World", my favourite Morrissey song I just made up

Jumblegraws

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 17, 2019, 02:12:30 PM
One week in the War on Women, also like one week or so into Glinner's twitter hiatus lol
https://medium.com/@glinner/one-week-in-the-war-on-women-bc070591198a
haha pope ted more like pope TANK
This point has been made a billion times probably on this page of the thread alone, but the way he is handpicking misbehaviour by trans people and compiling it into a one-size-fits-all rap sheet like that is shameful. Despite his claims to the contrary, this isn't an ideology he's attacking, it's a class of people and a highly vulnerable one at that. I properly hope he's alienated from the entertainment world to an even greater extent than we've seen this far.