Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:19:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Charity stream hosted to spite transphobic tosser Graham Linehan [split topic]

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, January 20, 2019, 01:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: madhair60 on May 21, 2019, 10:23:34 AM
https://twitter.com/Stupacabra/status/1130759246063259648

This really made me laugh

QuoteCaramac: Put down the trowel. You don't have to do this

Murderer: (Holding a garden trowel to his throat) You don't understand. It's so much bigger than you and I. The allotment association--

(Caramac shoots him in the heart)

Caramac: I'd call that an allotment... of bullets

Mrs Ferris didn't get it but she married me so I wouldn't value her judgement too highly.

FredNurke

Nice to see he's found a friend. Maybe Stuart will teach him about physics.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: FredNurke on May 21, 2019, 05:59:24 PM
Nice to see he's found a friend. Maybe Stuart will teach him about physics.
And Scots defamation law

Blumf

Not really relevant to this, but I've just found out about the term SWERF. So there's that to add to your '*ERF' lexicon.

Dr Rock

Blumf

alan nagsworth

Linehan's family relationship reaches breaking point when ordering pub grub and accidentally asks for a "SWERF and TERF".

kittens

Blumf

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 21, 2019, 06:44:31 PM
Linehan's family relationship reaches breaking point when ordering pub grub and accidentally asks for a "SWERF and TERF".

Then instinctively trying to hit the block button on the waitress leads to a sexual assault charge.

Puce Moment

In many ways this is the worst thread to ask this question, but I have found this entire debate to be swamped by factions, intolerance and a lack of rational debate. I have done research, and in fact I have tended to watch videos of people speaking on the subject. But there is a lot of variety in the trans debate, and I feel like I am not accessing the most useful and thoughtful views. Videos for me are good because they can show nuance, rationalism, non-rationalism, and other subtleties largely absent from twitter.

I know I could 'google this for you' but I wondered if anyone had a good resource that clearly goes through some of the debates about trans identity, psychology, how things are changing, and the validity or not of differing opinions?

I will be completely honest and state that I have some competing thoughts on this subject, which has surprised me. I don't care about gender, sex, self-identity and other issues in as much as I am happy for people to describe and identify themselves any way they feel (isn't that nice of me!). I hold no bias or prejudice on this subject, or at least I hope so, but I have found myself wondering about some of the decisions made by children concerning their self-identity, and how adults may react to that. As someone who spent a decent amount of time in women's shelters as a child I can't imagine being the slightest bothered about a biological man who identifies as a woman (soz if that's worded incorrectly) seeking out shelter, help and safety. This is something that the Linehans have been banging on about, and as much as I know I REALLY REALLY don't speak for all abused women in shelters, I find that point of attack utterly disingenuous.

Also, I was wondering if others have opinions on this that they might be disinclined to discuss on twitter? In other words, you love people and don't care what they wear, how they define themselves, or what they (consensually) do to and with their genitals, but you may have some confused thoughts about gender/sex and why evolution has led to this level of variety, when really our only real job, like all living things, on this planet is to multiply or procreate.

Post.

Dr Rock

jsgibble

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 21, 2019, 08:03:23 PM
CONTRAPOINTS ON YOUTUBE

I also thought this video was very good, it doesn't cover everything but it gives a good summary of the situation for anyone new to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91_5OOmK1TQ

Puce Moment

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 21, 2019, 08:03:23 PMCONTRAPOINTS ON YOUTUBE

I have seen some of these videos and enjoyed them a great deal, thank you.

Quote from: jsgibble on May 21, 2019, 08:07:17 PM
I also thought this video was very good, it doesn't cover everything but it gives a good summary of the situation for anyone new to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91_5OOmK1TQ
Listening now - already laying into the Guardian which is pleasing. Also a ton of resources in the description - thanks!

idunnosomename

graham isnt big on sex workers either. he's into brave females who stand up for their sex's right to wear laura ashley aprons and make his tea for him.

phantom_power

Isn't he also a PSERF (Plastic Surgery Exclusionary Radical Feminist)? Based on that tweet about Dolly Parton anyway

petril

canadagoose

Stuart Campbell and Graham Linehan. A match made in the fucking bin. I hope someone milkshakes the pair of them.

Puce, I'd echo the recommendations for Contra (we stan) and Shaun (always good). I wish I could give a recommendation for something on the "other" side that I found reasonable, but honestly I can't. Please do PM if you have any questions, so long as they're not something Glinner spewed out at 5am or something.

Barry Admin

Oh the guy who is hosting Linehan's deleted blog is that willy from Amiga Power?

Where's that archive of his ask.fm, I remember that being screamingly funny...

Mister Six

Quote from: Puce Moment on May 21, 2019, 07:54:55 PM
You may have some confused thoughts about gender/sex and why evolution has led to this level of variety, when really our only real job, like all living things, on this planet is to multiply or procreate.

Because we're hideously complicated, poorly evolved, generally rather fucked up creatures. The human brain is a jury-rigged assemblage of bits and bobs that just about work together properly at the best of times. If someone actually did design the human brain they ought to have their qualifications revoked. And since human brains are very slowly grown and developed over decades (the brain isn't even properly mature until you hit 30 or so - it continues to develop all the way along that timeline) there are plenty of bits that can "go wrong" or function in ways that seem contradictory or impractical.

Add to which: some genetic markers like (say) cystic fibrosis can be carried by a parent but not expressed in offspring unless the other parent also carries the dormant gene; traits such as (for example) homosexuality could benefit communities by allowing for more working adults without additional children draining resources etc etc.

But mostly it's just that animals are complex collections of different impulses and sometimes those impulses come out in interesting ways. Note - animals, not humans. I saw a female lion in a safari park once that had a mane and similar structure to a male, because of a hormone imbalance that occurred when she was developing. Why wouldn't this kind of thing happen in humans, which have even more complex brains, thus more ways for them to go a bit skewiff?

(Apols to any LGBT people for all the use of "wrong" etc but I'm hammering this out in a hurry. You hopefully know what I mean.)

Mister Six

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 22, 2019, 03:03:03 AM
Oh the guy who is hosting Linehan's deleted blog is that willy from Amiga Power?

Where's that archive of his ask.fm, I remember that being screamingly funny...

Oh no, is Stuart Campbell a cunt? I have very fond memories of AP and Your Sinclair, and would be rather sad to learn that some of them are TERFs and wankers.

Especially Linda Barker. And Jonathan Nash. But I never fancied Jonathan Nash.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Mister Six on May 22, 2019, 03:29:10 AM
Oh no, is Stuart Campbell a cunt? I have very fond memories of AP and Your Sinclair, and would be rather sad to learn that some of them are TERFs and wankers.

Especially Linda Barker. And Jonathan Nash. But I never fancied Jonathan Nash.
https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/3947/jonathan-rimmer-we-need-to-talk-about-wings-over-scotland

Despite his rap sheet and general arseholery, people are more than ready to treat you as a concern troll if you're an indy supporter who happens to despise him.

phantom_power

He seems a right cunt. Apart from the over-use of the word "wankhole" the main thing seems to be that his line of argument is "no-one gets to tell ME what I should think or say" as if there is nothing to learn from anyone and no reason to think of how what you say might affect others

madhair60

This is fucking disappointing about Campbell. Used to love that bloke in all his standoffish cuntery.

idunnosomename

Boo he's locked his account again.

Imagine being so sure you're on "the right side of history" while aware that you are suffering from monomania.

Ah well I'm he'll return to singling out and publically mocking more vulnerable young people later today

phantom_power

Unlocked again. The man is an enigma

Enigma is Latin for obsessed bigot isn't it?

idunnosomename

I guess he just puts his twitter account to bed, unlike the children which he's forgotten he has

Anyway, he's up and about now, having a pop at Mermaids again, because he was willfully confused in taking a thread of tweets out of context

phantom_power

That is such dishonest cuntery. They are claiming that Mermaids are using pictures of Phoebe Waller-Bridge along with quotes, suggesting they are from her. It is pretty clear if you read the Tweets that it is a trans girl talking about her experience and thoughts based on things PWB has said about wanting to be a boy when she was younger. The whole thread is about how Mermaids helped her find her way without pressure to transition, simply supporting her. As this doesn't jibe with the TERF view that Mermaids are shoving hormones down the throats of any boy who wears pink they are using dishonesty to attack them, while also giving it the old "that is the opposite of what they do!"

idunnosomename

The first tweet in Mermaids' thread is VERY clear. People are screenshotting the later tweets (rather than linking to them) precisely to present them out of context. I suspect people like Graham know this but just delude themselves into perpetuating it. Presumably because deep down, it's the right thing to do, to destroy the Woke Stasi Incel Hub behind Mermaids!!!!