Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:20:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Charity stream hosted to spite transphobic tosser Graham Linehan [split topic]

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, January 20, 2019, 01:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Quote from: gne on July 22, 2019, 01:35:38 PM
I can read all day.

Quote from: gne on July 22, 2019, 02:10:58 PM
To be honest, I stopped reading that post after 3 words and was so consumed by others that I never read it.

I ADMIT IT, I NEVER READ IT! (But I will do later when I have time.)

We're really circling the drain here.

madhair60

gne

See, now that's premier reading by Barry Admin, even formed my words into an articulate rebuttal.

(Without having to redefine every term I used neither.)

gne

Quote from: RicoMNKN on July 21, 2019, 08:05:06 AM
Who's "they"?  I see Glinner et al throw around the term TRA all the time, but I've never seen an organisation say particularly extreme things, only cherry-picked examples of extremist individuals.
As far as I'm aware, the main thing at the moment is about reviewing the Gender Recognition Act (due to the amount of hoops a trans person currently has to jump through for recognition).  People expressing "concern" about self-id don't suggest any alternative which works for everyone - just spread fear and panic about all trans people whilst claiming to not be transphobic.

On a different note, I see that Konnie Huq is presenting a show in which guests take a week off social media to reflect on how it has been impacting on them.  I do hope Glinner's recent break was because he's a future guest, as a way of Konnie and Charlie giving him an intervention.

The "they" was the same "they" that was addressed in the post I was responding to by Phantom Power, so if there is some miscarriage of justice there then take it up with him. I've got no idea what TRA means and I also don't know who else you are talking about. Have absolutely nothing to do with Glinner, this whole wider topic has been focused onto one individual because then it's easier to attack. But in regards to alternatives, then adults should be able to peacefully believe whatever, as it's already meant to be, and nobody should have the right to force those beliefs onto everybody else. That works equally.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: gne on July 22, 2019, 07:54:08 AM
Off-topic tangent? I did no such thing.

Everyone else got the same torrent of abuse from what I've read, except those who couched their disagreement in timid unsurety.
Yes you did, you interrupted a discussion with a detour into trans rights more generally. You used terse, loaded languag that you should have realised any good faith response was going to be protracted in order to extract and address your precise points.
Quote from: gne on July 22, 2019, 07:02:48 PM
The "they" was the same "they" that was addressed in the post I was responding to by Phantom Power, so if there is some miscarriage of justice there then take it up with him. I've got no idea what TRA means and I also don't know who else you are talking about. Have absolutely nothing to do with Glinner, this whole wider topic has been focused onto one individual because then it's easier to attack. But in regards to alternatives, then adults should be able to peacefully believe whatever, as it's already meant to be, and nobody should have the right to force those beliefs onto everybody else. That works equally.
Go start a thread in General Bullshit about transgenderism more generally, if that's what you want. Even if this thread was a surreptitious TRA meeting place (it isn't), posters would still be well within reason to tell you to fuck off for disrupting discussion.

" adults should be able to peacefully believe whatever, as it's already meant to be, and nobody should have the right to force those beliefs onto everybody else. That works equally" - more reactionary clichés. If I happen to oppose the granting of a civic right, and that right is enshrined in law, by your definition I'm having that right "imposed" on me. It's not enough to complain of this "imposition" to make a case for a genuine grievance, you have to show that the balance of interests between groups of people isn't being met. Glinner has failed to do so at risk of emboldening more militant transphobes. That's why he's been alienated by friends and is despised on a comedy forum and elsewhere.

I'm aware that every response I give to you prolongs the diversion you've created, so I think I'm done now.

phantom_power

Quote from: gne on July 22, 2019, 07:02:48 PM

No-one is forcing those beliefs on anyone though are they? At least no-one of consequence. Every movement is going to have its extremists and arseholes but you shouldn't define the movement by those people. Do you really think the trans lobby is so powerful it can overturn science, law and education to suit its own ends? Or is it more likely what someone above said and these things are fluid and change subtly over time with new information and ideas. Do you side with those who believe homosexuality shouldn't be taught or discussed in schools for instance?

gne

Eh, did you not just ask me this last page and ignore my response? And now with several new questions attached. Excellent.

Way too life consuming whatever this is. I'd support scrapping the current education system altogether.

phantom_power

Your response wasn't actually a response. It was a deflection. As you are doing now.

NoSleep

Why is anyone even bothering to engage? This isn't a discussion, it's a sideshow featuring yet another clown.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: NoSleep on July 22, 2019, 11:05:25 PM
Why is anyone even bothering to engage? This isn't a discussion, it's a sideshow featuring yet another clown.
Is there a name for this kind of thing? "Hopkins Dilemma" or something like that? How do you know if you're just giving attention to someone who wants it on the one hand, or letting retrograde ideas go unchallenged on the other?

Zetetic

NoSleep

Quote from: Jumblegraws on July 22, 2019, 11:16:49 PM
Is there a name for this kind of thing? "Hopkins Dilemma" or something like that? How do you know if you're just giving attention to someone who wants it on the one hand, or letting retrograde ideas go unchallenged on the other?

They're not actually debating are they?

phes

The self ID debate is now properly on Ricky Gervais radar and rest assured he is on his way. Soon he'll be bowling through it like a Double Dragon boss with diarrhoea in Miniatur Wunderland

phantom_power

He has done that lazy "I identify as this hilarious thing" bit in his stand-up before hasn't he so he has previous. And he has that mix of being a devout science wonk but without the intelligence to think things through that is the mainstay of the anti-trans GC anti Self ID brigade

phes

That was just ripping on trans people though. He has now got of whiff of Glinner's BADtrans hysteria

phantom_power

That Jessica Yaniv does seem to be a free pass for all the Glinners of the world to say "told you so" and suggest that all pro-trans and self ID people are like that, or at least enough for it to be a big problem rather than an an unfortunate side effect of progress

NoSleep

I've always found it best to deal with each arsehole as an individual rather than a representative of a group; you never know where they may turn up.

gne

Quote from: phantom_power on July 20, 2019, 10:51:14 PM
How are they "imposing" that on anyone? Mostly they just seem to be trying to get on with their lives, almost like they were normal people

Quote from: gne on July 21, 2019, 12:21:07 AM
Surely this is deliberate obtuseness.

Do they not want to redefine the national legal system according to their beliefs, as well as the mandatory education system, and general healthcare practices? I would've assumed that you'd have come across some of these ideas during your extensive posting in this thread.

Not deflected at all, you're a total time waster.

gne

Quote from: NoSleep on July 22, 2019, 11:05:25 PM

"Yes Sir! I know we've safeguarded our beliefs for thousands of years with the blood of our forefathers, but, but... they were armed with milkshakes!"

"And lists of terrifying psychological disorders we apparently have."

mippy

I saw some of our Terf chums complaining that Adam Buxton used 'cis' in RHLSP, and is therefore #peaktranscancelled

pigamus

Quote from: gne on July 23, 2019, 12:24:41 PM
More of a Westlife fan.

Phew, I was really worried you'd nominate my favourite song of all time for a minute

gne

l have no problem believing you're that shallow and image obsessed.

gne

Anyhow, call it a 6th sense, but I'm not sure my contributions are much welcomed here. As Westlife would say, I'm flying without wings.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: NoSleep on July 23, 2019, 10:40:28 AM
I've always found it best to deal with each arsehole as an individual rather than a representative of a group; you never know where they may turn up.

Quite. I have a transgender acquaintance who is a complete fucking insufferable dickhead that equips her struggles (both with her transgenderism and also her physical disability) as a battle axe mowing down pretty much anything in life that upsets her. She oozes negativity and she does my nut in and I want nowt to do with her. I do however still hold firm the belief that trans rights are human rights and I hope that one day she will find happiness, as well as anyone else struggling to gain full access to the life they deserve. It just so happens that she isn't a very nice person so I can't be around her personally.

Quote from: gne on July 23, 2019, 01:20:00 PM
Did he do the one with tennis lady scratching her arse?

I don't know what painting you're referring to because SJWs have erased it from history

Puce Moment

Quote from: phantom_power on July 23, 2019, 10:08:45 AMHe has done that lazy "I identify as this hilarious thing" bit in his stand-up before hasn't he so he has previous. And he has that mix of being a devout science wonk but without the intelligence to think things through that is the mainstay of the anti-trans GC anti Self ID brigade

I would say that I am in the top 5% of posters on CaB who have the most goodwill towards Gervais. For me, the The Office, the return XFM shows and the early podcasts have given me hours of comedy joy. I will even watch him being interviewed sometimes. But my goodwill has been dealt a serious blow after bingeing on Patrice O'Neal for the last couple of months. Good grief he has ripped off that guy's stuff so much. I'm amazed that he was even allowed to sit with those three stand-ups on that special.

Anyway, here is his bits about Jenner and Tambor that is one of the most toe-curling moments of award hosting comedy I have ever seen. And the bar for that is very fucking low.

It all happens in the first 3mins or so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujX6-6gsoJU