Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,475
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:40:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Charity stream hosted to spite transphobic tosser Graham Linehan [split topic]

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, January 20, 2019, 01:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on July 31, 2019, 01:09:00 PM
Ah yes, the stealthy 'no u'. Brilliant insights.

Something doesn't have to be brilliant for it to be true or insightful. The truth is usually pretty fucking banal, and sometimes what people need is to be reminded of the bleeding obvious.

Not even true in this case, or insightful, or obvious, just more knee jerk bullshit

Quote from: Pdine on July 31, 2019, 01:13:03 PM
It's true though... tribalism is making this debate much much harder. (Putative) bad research into certain drugs should be a concern to everyone.

'Tribalism' is usually just a buzzword that is employed to flatten genuine ideological differences and the real material effects of those ideas. It's not tribalism that makes this 'debate' difficult, it's the genuinely different levels of investment in the outcome of the scenarios described, which are based in the wellbeing of people who genuinely exist in real life. There is very little reason to believe that Biggs is correct in his projections, and I don't think that the rather sordid level of investment in him being correct is based in anything else except bad faith. Let's get the facts if we can get them, sure, but until then there's no real debate to be had. Assertions have been made by a person who is notoriously biased on this issue, and that's it.

Pdine

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on July 31, 2019, 01:24:54 PM
'Tribalism' is usually just a buzzword that is employed to flatten genuine ideological differences and the real material effects of those ideas.

It can be, but I think it can also legitimately describe the bundling of concerns beyond what's reasonable.

QuoteIt's not tribalism that makes this 'debate' difficult, it's the genuinely different levels of investment in the outcome of the scenarios described, which are based in the wellbeing of people who genuinely exist in real life. There is very little reason to believe that Biggs is correct in his projections, and I don't think that the rather sordid level of investment in him being correct is based in anything else except bad faith.

As I say, my personal experience of this area tells me that the kind of poor analytical and reporting practice that Biggs is suggesting is not rare. On the other hand he's clearly a partial observer, but any inaccuracy stemming from that should be easy to demonstrate. I don't really see any 'projections' in the pdf, but maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Leaving aside any accompanying political issues, researchers who spend public money and refuse to share their results according to their agreed protocol should be defunded and others allowed to do the research properly.

QuoteLet's get the facts if we can get them, sure, but until then there's no real debate to be had. Assertions have been made by a person who is notoriously biased on this issue, and that's it.

I'd be much more uncomfortable if he actually had asserted anything. It seems to me he's implying a lot, but his core request - that the Tavistock Trust fulfill their agreed responsibility to publish their results - is not unreasonable (unless they actually have and the pdf is just fantasy, which is possible).

Anyway I'm sorry to have once again played a role in this thread getting shouty. My main interests in this subject are probably too abstract for me to be able to raise them without being misunderstood as being 'the enemy'. I do think that's a shame though. I rate the intellect of everyone who has got angry with me in this thread, and would value a discussion which assumes good faith.   

Again, to have a proper discussion about it we'd have to agree that Bigg's arguments are notable, well motivated and most importantly liable to be accurate, and there's no evidence for any of those things so it's unclear as the kind of discussion you desire. Just a bunch of people agreeing with you about the data being released? What is there to discuss? It's a blog post by an ideologically straightjacketed quack. Wake me up when the data is actually there to support this stuff. It's clear that the only discussion you'll accept is the one favourable to your point of view, which is why you keep whining about not being able to express yourself, one of the most boring things people regularly do in public forums nowadays.

Pdine

I think that's completely unfair, and unsupported by my posts in this thread.

God, it's always "I'm only making a single point that shouldn't be controversial" and then "I would say more about this subject but I can't. I just can't. The wolves will come after me." Just fucking give the self pity a rest. You either want to put enough contentious stuff out there to be worthy of discussion or you don't, but don't pretend you only want people to concede one thing, but then get annoyed when they don't concede on your terms, in the language you'd prefer, with the deference you clearly feel you're owed.

Pdine

Again, totally not what I'm saying; bewilderingly different in fact.

Really? Because that's very much how it it reads when you whine like that

Pdine

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on July 31, 2019, 03:32:38 PM
Really? Because that's very much how it it reads when you whine like that

Ok I give up. Thanks for the engagement!

Yes, I could have guessed that attempting to assert that you were in fact saying something bewilderingly different to the actual words you've written might have been more than you were willing to bother with. Seems like an uphill endeavour at this point.

Unrewarding, isn't it? When people won't say what they mean. Don't try to blame anyone else for that.

QDRPHNC

I could have guessed you wouldn't! And indeed that you would feel inclined to say so, with zero elaboration, in the usual style. I don't have any trouble understanding Pdine either, I just don't think there's much there, and that the insistence on being misunderstood is dishonest

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on July 31, 2019, 07:26:34 PM
Wow, I said something twice, I am owned

Wasn't about saying it twice. It's just your insistence that you knew what they were going to say that reminded me of Nathan Thurm.

madhair60

madhair60

There was a joke in Father Ted about yobs breaking into a priest's house and putting a bra on him, in an incident of "forced transvestism". That hasn't aged well, in light of what we now know.

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 31, 2019, 09:07:01 PM
There was a joke in Father Ted about yobs breaking into a priest's house and putting a bra on him, in an incident of "forced transvestism". That hasn't aged well, in light of what we now know.

I heard there were 200 cases of forced transvestism involving Mr Sweeney last year.

keir

He's a train wreck, except that a train wreck generally gets dealt with more quickly.

phes

petril

Quote from: keir on July 31, 2019, 09:40:07 PM
He's a train wreck, except that a train wreck generally gets dealt with more quickly.

he's a train wreck on an abandoned line that's been forgotten about, all that's left is 80s kids desperately hoping that by jumping about on it they can get into A Scrape, because that was the only break from the bleakness of being a kid in a shithole in the 80s

idunnosomename

I see you're an atheist now, father! Should I be an atheist too? Not sure how I'll fit in being a smug bastard about my own superior sense of rationality at the expense of any empathy towards people different to me, what with all the work on the farm!