Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:09:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Charity stream hosted to spite transphobic tosser Graham Linehan [split topic]

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, January 20, 2019, 01:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

alan nagsworth

Trapo dudes are on now. This bangs so hard. I deactivated my Facebook this weekend because the sheer whack of negativity I see on there has started making me extremely miserable, so this has rounded off my weekend very nicely.

Mango Chimes

I've been watching this since the heads-up upthread, and I do like this guy hosting it, seems like a nice guy. And I love it's been a mix of discourse about trans support and ongoing slagging of Donkey Kong 64. With Chelsea Manning just hanging out.

It's nice for one of these 'the world is mental' things to be actually somewhat cheering.

alan nagsworth

The utterly wild swathes of activity in the stream's chat is in itself just such a beautiful thing, in as much as it is an assault on the senses when you're as tired as I am right now, it's uhh, a beautiful assault. Ah I love this to bits.

Meanwhile Linehan is still wheezing about how men can't have periods.

Thursday

He can't let anything go, he only knows doubling, tripling, qudruapling down.

phantom_power

Despite all his huffing and puffing it is great to see how little of his shit gets through to the mainstream. Since I stopped following him I barely register his existence. All there is is the odd re-tweet of some of the less batshit crazy things he says by people who probably should know better

Moribunderast

Quote from: Thursday on January 21, 2019, 06:22:13 AM

I mostly ignore him now but having just had a look at his Twitter, I just feel SAD for the man. It must be fucking exhausting to yammer on obsessively about the one topic day after day. He must be miserable. It's just a shame he wants to push his misery outwards and try to inflict it on anyone who reads his muck.

mr. logic

Certainly his presence on the social network, where he has nearly 180,000 followers, means he has high visibility among the digerati. (At Google's Big Tent event, where we met last week, a group of Googlers cornered him at one point and made earnest efforts to persuade him to make more use of its Google+ network.) The only problem is that he's torn between loving the internet, and finding it a terrible distraction. In his usual routine, "I go up to my office and sit down in front of my computer and turn on the internet and then I don't work – that's the end of work for the day". He laughs. "I have to use all these programs that cut off the internet, force me to be bored, because being bored is an essential part of writing, and the internet has made it very hard to be bored. There's just so much to do – it's funny, because I'm more creative, but I'm getting less writing done. I'm trying to balance that at the moment. It's a difficult one."

Presently he's trying to force himself to take an hour-and-a-half every day to force that boredom to happen, where he sits in a cafe with just his phone switched to Flight mode – no internet, no calls. "The creative process requires a period of boredom, of being stuck. That's actually a very uncomfortable period that a lot of people mistake for writer's block, but it's actually just part one of a long process. The internet has made it very difficult to experience that. I've noticed that in the cafe within about 20 minutes I feel like an hour has passed. I check my phone and it's 'oh, shit, I've got another hour and 10 minutes to go'. I might bring the amount of time down." He laughs.

This was in 2012. He is indeed miserably addicted.

phantom_power

It just sounds like he is bereft of ideas and using the internet as a distraction/excuse

It is heartening to see people take their dislike of Glinner and his terrible ideas and turn it into something positive rather than getting into pointless Twitter wars with him. it is probably the best way to deal with that sort of person

madhair60

Great Satan

Graham doing that 'listening to the women' thing he insists he does so much.

phantom_power

What a fucking twat. It would be fun to see AOC rip into him though

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: phantom_power on January 21, 2019, 09:15:03 AM
It just sounds like he is bereft of ideas and using the internet as a distraction/excuse
Let's help him get started: A shouty man (Irish) and a shouty woman work alongside a less shouty man in a bookshop, tech support, __________.

Thursday

I like the idea that a US congresswoman with 2 million followers who's scrutinized by the right-wing press everytime she breathes, didn't do any research before appearing.

RicoMNKN

Blimey!  I know he clearly hasn't slept and that pile-ons are unpleasant, but "Traitors", RTing a claim that the trans movement is "richly funded by white men" (no citation),  using the phrase "The Left are..." before posting something clearly untrue, is some insane, radicalised shit.

phantom_power

Quote from: Thursday on January 21, 2019, 10:28:02 AM
I like the idea that a US congresswoman with 2 million followers who's scrutinized by the right-wing press everytime she breathes, didn't do any research before appearing.

I like the idea that Glinner thinks AOC gives a flying fuck what he thinks

Blinder Data

I agree with whoever said Glinner is "too online". I kind of felt sorry for him when I watched that initial video, he's gone too far down a rabbit hole and now he can't get out. Obvs he's an obnoxious bellend with simplistic views and is totally prejudiced against trans people. I'm not sure I like the practice of calling the police on him though.

Also, I must admit I'm not sure how I feel about the whole "menstruators" thing. But then my thoughts on the debate are wrapped up in philosophy rather than pearl-clutching about public safety in bathrooms. For example, the idea of male-born transwomen thinking their penises are female just... my brain struggles to compute it.

Sorry, maybe should've saved that bit for the "right wing" thread

Funcrusher

Jockice

Quote from: Thursday on January 21, 2019, 06:22:13 AM

Jeez. It is absolutely astounding. And I thought certain members of my family were bad...*

(*On different subjects obviously. You don't want to know.)

pigamus

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 21, 2019, 10:47:55 AM
I agree with whoever said Glinner is "too online". I kind of felt sorry for him when I watched that initial video, he's gone too far down a rabbit hole and now he can't get out. Obvs he's an obnoxious bellend with simplistic views and is totally prejudiced against trans people. I'm not sure I like the practice of calling the police on him though.

Also, I must admit I'm not sure how I feel about the whole "menstruators" thing. But then my thoughts on the debate are wrapped up in philosophy rather than pearl-clutching about public safety in bathrooms. For example, the idea of male-born transwomen thinking their penises are female just... my brain struggles to compute it.

Sorry, maybe should've saved that bit for the "right wing" thread

How did it all start? I mean the weirdest thing about this is he doesn't actually have a dog in the fight, as far as I can see. Or does he?

Funcrusher

He gets pretty much all of his talking points from Mumsnet as far as I can see.

phantom_power

Didn't it all stem from that episode of the IT Crowd that got flak for being transphobic, after which he promised to "learn and grow" and did just that and everything is great now hurrah!

Blinder Data

This is going to end with him doing a video in a wig, claiming he's transitioning into Grahamina isn't it?

samadriel

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 21, 2019, 11:16:11 AM
This is going to end with him doing a video in a wig, claiming he's transitioning into Grahamina isn't it?

all this feels like it's just an inevitable result of his general online presence. Hard to think he actually does uniquely care about the issue as much as he'd have always ended up as this kind of figure in whatever the issue of the day was