Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:47:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Charity stream hosted to spite transphobic tosser Graham Linehan [split topic]

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, January 20, 2019, 01:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

It's like a more bigoted ending of Brazil.

We've lost him. He's gone and he's not coming back.

phantom_power

Now it seems like Jon Ronson is cancelled for talking to "known transphobe" Hadley Freeman

https://twitter.com/jelly_pack/status/1087300031156310017

Now I know nothing of Freeman or her views on trans issues but this guilt by association stuff is a bit creepy. It's like people are looking for reasons to hate people

Seems like an incredibly benign exchange between Ronson and Freeman, which gives zero indication of his stance on the issue. She's said a few rum things about this stuff on social media, but 'guilt by association' is genuinely exactly what that is

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: phantom_power on January 21, 2019, 01:22:52 PM

Now I know nothing of Freeman or her views on trans issues but this guilt by association stuff is a bit creepy. It's like people are looking for reasons to hate people

Reminds me of a Daniel Clowes four panel strip.

A scientist is staring intently down a microscope at a microorganism. This tiny one eyed amoeba says, "Why are you looking at me?" and the scientist replies, "I'm trying to find a reason to hate you."

Nutshell.

phantom_power

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 21, 2019, 01:28:08 PM
Seems like an incredibly benign exchange between Ronson and Freeman, which gives zero indication of his stance on the issue. She's said a few rum things about this stuff on social media, but 'guilt by association' is genuinely exactly what that is

Yeah. Ronson's comment is a bit tactless but it is not hard to believe that he wasn't aware of the landmine he was treading on. It's the "In case you were in any doubt about Jon Ronson" bit that gets me as well. It implies there is no need for doubt, or that should even be doubt in the first place. Shit Twitter name as well

Blinder Data

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 21, 2019, 01:28:08 PM

I replied to someone on Twitter once who said any man who felt them up in a club would be glassed. I basically said "that seems rather harsh" or words to that effect, unwise I know and I regret entering the convo like that tbh. Anyway I was then added onto a couple of lists by someone which I think has resulted in me being blocked by people I've never interacted with before.

The blocking might be to do with following or liking a few TERF-like people but I only do that because I want to keep things for reference later and see different angles, really! But that's enough to be sent to Coventry it seems. It's rather sad and totally counter-productive to exclude people for merely associating.

Poor Jon Ronson. "How dare someone make a silly joke with a non-believer!" I've seen similar pile-ons on people for the criminal act of following users you don't agree with. We must only interact with those whose political outlook we share to be considered pure, it seems.

Sorry a bit off topic

notjosh

Quote from: mr. logic on January 21, 2019, 09:06:54 AM
QuotePresently he's trying to force himself to take an hour-and-a-half every day to force that boredom to happen, where he sits in a cafe with just his phone switched to Flight mode – no internet, no calls. "The creative process requires a period of boredom, of being stuck. That's actually a very uncomfortable period that a lot of people mistake for writer's block, but it's actually just part one of a long process. The internet has made it very difficult to experience that. I've noticed that in the cafe within about 20 minutes I feel like an hour has passed. I check my phone and it's 'oh, shit, I've got another hour and 10 minutes to go'. I might bring the amount of time down."

This is mental isn't it? I don't have a smartphone because I hate being 'online' wherever I go. Please tell me this is not how most smartphone owners feel - it sounds like a nightmare.

Twed

phantom_power

If you need to turn your phone to Flight Mode to avoid the internet when you really should be doing other things then the internet is not the problem

Mango Chimes

Quote from: phantom_power on January 21, 2019, 01:22:52 PM
Now it seems like Jon Ronson is cancelled for talking to "known transphobe" Hadley Freeman

Ah, now, come on. That's just some Twitter account with a hundred-something followers saying a thing. The tweet's got a few dozen likes and retweets. It doesn't matter, it has no influence, and there's really no reason to focus or care about it.

Twitter's provided the world and its journalists with an easily searchable database of extreme and niche opinions (many not truly held) – focusing on such things is what's led Onlinehan on his crazy pathway, look away look away.

idunnosomename

Quote from: phantom_power on January 21, 2019, 11:09:36 AM
Didn't it all stem from that episode of the IT Crowd that got flak for being transphobic, after which he promised to "learn and grow" and did just that and everything is great now hurrah!

God I was trying to remember why hes so into this and it's all that unfunny sub-CBBC crap. Roar im actually a man so im strong

What a legacy to a million-fold down meltdown on while everyone tweets donkey kong at him

phantom_power

Quote from: Mango Chimes on January 21, 2019, 03:22:46 PM
Ah, now, come on. That's just some Twitter account with a hundred-something followers saying a thing. The tweet's got a few dozen likes and retweets. It doesn't matter, it has no influence, and there's really no reason to focus or care about it.

Twitter's provided the world and its journalists with an easily searchable database of extreme and niche opinions (many not truly held) – focusing on such things is what's led Onlinehan on his crazy pathway, look away look away.

I wasn't being entirely serious with the cancelled stuff but the attitude displayed in that tweet isn't uncommon and it is annoying and counter-productive

Ham Bap

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 21, 2019, 10:47:55 AM
I agree with whoever said Glinner is "too online". I kind of felt sorry for him when I watched that initial video, he's gone too far down a rabbit hole and now he can't get out. Obvs he's an obnoxious bellend with simplistic views and is totally prejudiced against trans people. I'm not sure I like the practice of calling the police on him though.

Also, I must admit I'm not sure how I feel about the whole "menstruators" thing. But then my thoughts on the debate are wrapped up in philosophy rather than pearl-clutching about public safety in bathrooms. For example, the idea of male-born transwomen thinking their penises are female just... my brain struggles to compute it.

Sorry, maybe should've saved that bit for the "right wing" thread

I went to sleep last night with Graham tweeting, when I checked my Twitter in work he was still tweeting. Looking at his tweets and times sent he clearly didn't sleep last night.
I nearly wish he was streaming it on Periscope, fascinating to watch a man drive himself insane.

I think it may be time for him to step away from Twitter for a while for his own mental health. TBH I don't even care about the pros and cons of what he's on about. I agree with some of it, disagree with some of it. Why devote 16 hours a day to it, waste of life..

I know some do care and it's important and they shout into the void on social media too.
Buy you're never gonna 'win' an argument online especially against thousands of people who have an opposing viewpoint. Endless shouting into the void trying to oneup the other person.

And at the end of the day who gives a shite what people on the internet think.

phantom_power

He thinks he will be on the right side of history. That people will look back and say "there was a man that stood up for what he believed in the face of adversity and now he has been shown to be right all along, and all us women and effeminate men who might have had their cods chopped off thank him for that". Unfortunately he is wrong and will be looked back on as a bit of an old silly

idunnosomename

Don't think he'll be remembered at all.

I suspect he's going to run out of money eventually. He's clearly not earning and probably neglecting his finances. Maybe he could set up a Patreon for concerned MumsNet mums can fund his crusade against silly young people on the topic of what pronouns they prefer to have used

rm2kmaster

Some outstanding participation in the woke olympics going on in this thread lol

madhair60

Quote from: rm2kmaster on January 22, 2019, 09:28:24 AM
Some outstanding participation in the woke olympics going on in this thread lol

muh muhmaming marmimimamon min mah mo mamypih mo moh mi meah

rm2kmaster

Quote from: madhair60 on January 22, 2019, 09:34:51 AM
muh muhmaming marmimimamon min mah mo mamypih mo moh mi meah

One day they will write a buzzfeed article about the time you epically pwned a bigot forum poster.

Then it will alllll be worth it finally.

madhair60

Quote from: rm2kmaster on January 22, 2019, 09:40:14 AM
One day they will write a buzzfeed article about the time you epically pwned a bigot forum poster.

Then it will alllll be worth it finally.

mu may may mi migh ma muhmee mahmimal muhma me mime mu memime maw ma mimu morum mohme

Howj Begg

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 21, 2019, 03:34:36 PM
God I was trying to remember why hes so into this and it's all that unfunny sub-CBBC crap. Roar im actually a man so im strong

What a legacy to a million-fold down meltdown on while everyone tweets donkey kong at him

was that the one where one of them went to a theatre show and it turned out to be "all gay" stuff? I thought that was appallingly shite at the time. In fact I still can't believe that The IT Crowd didn't torpedo Linehan's entire reputation as a comedy writer. On a reddit politics thread about the hbomberguy stream people were referring to him as "the IT Crowd writer" like Father Ted didn't exist.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Howj Begg on January 22, 2019, 09:44:38 AM
was that the one where one of them went to a theatre show and it turned out to be "all gay" stuff? I thought that was appallingly shite at the time. In fact I still can't believe that The IT Crowd didn't torpedo Linehan's entire reputation as a comedy writer. On a reddit politics thread about the hbomberguy stream people were referring to him as "the IT Crowd writer" like Father Ted didn't exist.

Nope, worse: it was the episode where whatshisname played by Matt Berry starts seeing a woman and falls for her, until she reveals she used to be a man and he's appalled and they have a big manly fist fight. So like imagine the repellance of the gay theatre episode but worse. Dreadful shit.

Theremin

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 22, 2019, 11:17:04 AM
Nope, worse: it was the episode where whatshisname played by Matt Berry starts seeing a woman and falls for her, until she reveals she used to be a man and he's appalled and they have a big manly fist fight. So like imagine the repellance of the gay theatre episode but worse. Dreadful shit.

Holy shit, I'd forgotten about those!

I remember being 13/14 when those came out, and even at that age going "Ooh, that feels really odd and backwards." without having the language at the time to explain it.

Imagine being Linehan's age - and not only writing those ideas professionally, but also defending the concepts a decade down the line. Madness.

Barry Admin

QuoteThe YouTuber added: 'I chose Mermaids specifically, because when they were designated some funding via the National Lottery, Graham Linehan, a comedy writer who did some work on a good show 20 years ago, a very normal man who is very angry about trans people all day nowadays, went on Mumsnet and told them to email the National Lottery en masse.

I love it. It's all great, charity good, but I love the whole description of very angry man Graham Linehan, who contributed some good work a very long time ago.

That man's going to have to see Donkey Kong every day for the rest of his life.

madhair60