Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:59:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Charity stream hosted to spite transphobic tosser Graham Linehan [split topic]

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, January 20, 2019, 01:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTC

Quote from: phantom_power on February 20, 2019, 04:03:35 PM
He's right though isn't he. Women's sport is being over-run with men saying they are women, breaking loads of world records and winning loads of medals and then going back to being men again.
Shocking new evidence from Glinner's investigation.

jamiefairlie

On the Sports issue, why can't they just use blood tests to measure hormone levels to assess eligibility to compete? They already do that in women's competitions at the Olympics and elsewhere. Too much male hormone, can't compete.

JamesTC

Quote from: jamiefairlie on February 20, 2019, 08:50:33 PM
On the Sports issue, why can't they just use blood tests to measure hormone levels to assess eligibility to compete? They already do that in women's competitions at the Olympics and elsewhere. Too much male hormone, can't compete.

A person born a woman can have higher than normal testosterone levels. Setting an arbitrary line on testosterone level would disqualify women unfairly.

Tricky subject really. Not one for your Glinners of the world to wade in with his fact bombs and definitive Twitter polls.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: JamesTC on February 20, 2019, 09:10:20 PM
A person born a woman can have higher than normal testosterone levels. Setting an arbitrary line on testosterone level would disqualify women unfairly.

Tricky subject really. Not one for your Glinners of the world to wade in with his fact bombs and definitive Twitter polls.

Yeah but they do that already, fair or unfair, at least it's the current standard and so should apply more widely.

Twed

I'm tempted to suggest that sports competitions shouldn't be the deciding factor in whether we respect the basic humanity of people in our society.

jamiefairlie

It's not in any way that but within the sports world itself it's important to have rules e.g. weight division in boxing, age groups, etc,  to ensure fair and level competition. If you accept that women get their own competitions due to their, on average, lesser physical abilities compared to men then you have to accept there needs to be entry criteria that applies to everyone to ensure a level playing field. Currently, hormone doping is illegal in women's sports because it gives a proven advantage to those that do it (see the Soviet bloc countries in the 70s and 80s), so it's fair that should apply to everyone who wants to compete in that arena.

This is just for sports, not the rest of the world.

phantom_power

Quote from: jamiefairlie on February 20, 2019, 08:50:33 PM

They do, don't they?

Thomas

Graham spends so much of his life tweeting that I'm concerned he might not have the time to read this entire thread, like I just have.

Chris Morris (an obscure actor and writer probably best known for Up Yer News and The Smokehammer) once described Twitter as 'a route to madness'. I wonder what conversations are like in Graham's comedy social circle these days.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Thomas on February 20, 2019, 11:51:35 PM
I wonder what conversations are like in Graham's comedy social circle these days.

His comedy chums must feel so awkward whenever they bump into him. You can easily imagine the likes of, say, Adam Buxton or Sharon Horgan urgently diving down alleyways in order to avoid a potentially excruciating encounter with the massive, stupid bigot.

I don't feel sorry for him in the slightest, it's all his own fault, but he must surely be a pariah by now.

Ferris

idunnosomename

Glinner's gone full-on multiverse brain

https://twitter.com/Glinner/status/1098322685216591886?s=19

Dont worry white cis ladies, an old man with a wonky face who used to write comedy is here to protect your fucking wombs

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 21, 2019, 12:21:37 AM
His comedy chums must feel so awkward whenever they bump into him. You can easily imagine the likes of, say, Adam Buxton or Sharon Horgan urgently diving down alleyways in order to avoid a potentially excruciating encounter with the massive, stupid bigot.

I don't feel sorry for him in the slightest, it's all his own fault, but he must surely be a pariah by now.
I don't know about this. Feels a bit like wishful thinking. I like it, but I don't know...

I wonder if Buckles has recorded a podcast with him and is now sitting on it?

Wet Blanket

Cartoonist Michael Kupperman, who drew Glinner's avatar, remarked earlier that he's beginning to understand how the guy who original drew Pepe the Frog must feel

Crabwalk

He's started to whine about his 'showbiz pals' not standing up to defend him from accusations of bigotry, I see.

Have a little think about why that might be, eh Graham?

Cuellar

Quote from: Wet Blanket on February 21, 2019, 10:23:28 AM
Cartoonist Michael Kupperman, who drew Glinner's avatar, remarked earlier that he's beginning to understand how the guy who original drew Pepe the Frog must feel

Lol! Poor Michael Kupperman - for some reason he started following me on one of my old twitter accounts and would occasionally respond to my inane tweets and retweet stuff I said.

No idea why, never met the man, but thought he was funny. He was always helpful if I fired off some random question about comics etc. to him. Good bunch of lads.

phantom_power

It's fucking typical isn't it. In a world (or Twittersphere at least) full of beige celebrities endorsing beige politicians with beige policies, we are crying out for a radical, progressive celebrity to shake the status quo a bit. And we get Graham fucking Linehan and his "feminism"

Chriddof

Nothing to add here, except that I really like Micheal Kupperman and I'm glad he's spoken out about this. Had no idea it was him who drew that, but I see his style now.

Actually, I will also say that I used to follow him on Tumblr and he would always be posting scans of these really bizarre altered 50s / 60s men's magazines that he found at a flea market. Some strange old man from that time period had stitched together these Frankestein-esque assemblages of lurid articles / photos / short stories from various publications over the course of about 20 years. Kupperman was talking about putting out a book on these things but I don't know if that happened.

bobloblaw

"He used to seem like a great guy"

MK's medium might be visual but that line's doing a lot of heavy lifting

Ignatius_S

Although I don't think Horgan and Linehan are chums.

Crabwalk

The Bumlord

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 21, 2019, 10:46:50 AM
He's started to whine about his 'showbiz pals' not standing up to defend him from accusations of bigotry, I see.

Have a little think about why that might be, eh Graham?

He's had a little think and he's right, obviously.

He's starting to get into the idea that trans activism is down to Russian interference.

Twed

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 21, 2019, 01:11:27 PM
Did they fall out after Motherland?

Yeah, they must've been on good terms while writing that together? I only chose Horgan and Buckles as random examples of comedy folk who've previously worked with Linehan, but I suspect they probably feel the same way as Ardal O'Hanlon does. The vast majority of British comedy writers/performers are, broadly speaking, nice, groovy liberal types, they're not going to be on board with Glinner's slide into transphobic insanity.

marquis_de_sad

The thing is, even if Linehan was right, he's still being a massive cunt about it and - more importantly - apparently not doing any work to instead devote himself full time to twitter.

Ferris

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on February 22, 2019, 01:40:36 AM
The thing is, even if Linehan was right, he's still being a massive cunt about it and - more importantly - apparently not doing any work to instead devote himself full time to twitter.

It's so clearly nothing to do with him which is the weird thing to me.

I mean, by all means have an opinion and venture it in public on twitter if you like, but it does seem bizarre to give such a massive, all-consuming shit about this issue. And to be a bit unpleasant and #canceled about the whole thing is just the kicker.

Why is it worth all the arguments and agro to him? Is it literally just inability to accept criticism of a dodgy episode of a sitcom from 10 years ago? Madness.

Someone needs to take him to one side and tell him to let it go. Or disconnect his wifi, whatever's easiest.

I think it has to be more than an inability to take criticism causing this. I mean that seems to have been what first bothered him but it seems telling to me that this all really kicked off at around the same time as the cancer diagnosis. Maybe something about the stress of that flipped a switch. It seems like a mental health thing to be this obsessive.

McFlymo

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on February 22, 2019, 10:47:20 AM
I think it has to be more than an inability to take criticism causing this. I mean that seems to have been what first bothered him but it seems telling to me that this all really kicked off at around the same time as the cancer diagnosis. Maybe something about the stress of that flipped a switch. It seems like a mental health thing to be this obsessive.

Aaaaaaaha. Doesn't excuse anything at all, but ok, perhaps this is some sort of context for his totally mentally unwell "I must speak out for women!!"

But as continually pointed out (yet I feel compelled to raise it again), even if he was saying stuff that was (controversial) but true (which he isn't), he's still going about it in a completely horrendously shitty way.

Maybe he's been taken over by an AI virus that has consumed his brain and will slowly destroy Twitter, in the shittest episode of Black Mirror ever?