Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:01:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Charity stream hosted to spite transphobic tosser Graham Linehan [split topic]

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, January 20, 2019, 01:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

I assume this is all going on still. Linehan being menty and that?

idunnosomename

He changed is profile to read "Comedy is impossible in a world where 2+2=5", his header is now a cap from Stalag 17 (about a traitor among PoWs) and is making blanket statements about the left so um he's basically a full-time alt-right personality now

Cuellar

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 18, 2019, 11:56:11 AM
He changed is profile to read "Comedy is impossible in a world where 2+2=5", his header is now a cap from Stalag 17 (about a traitor among PoWs) and is making blanket statements about the left so um he's basically a full-time alt-right personality now

Lol you weren't joking!

phantom_power

Has he burnt his Netflix account down due to them having a new film about parents dealing with a trans child on it?

Barry Admin

To cross-post, Thomas quoted Chris Morris talking about his new film, and while it's undoubtedly a total coincidence, I was struck by how precisely CM nailed what an old bastard someone like Glinner is:

QuoteHow do you feel about the current political moment in regard to satire? Both in the United States and the United Kingdom, where reality often seems absurd, do you have to make the ridiculous even more ridiculous to make comedy out of it?

And I think a certain class of people who were involved in producing a certain angle of satirical work, actually were relying on very stable ground that wouldn't change. Of course, things do change and we're living through a period of change. So you suddenly have to start thinking. And I think someone who was 25 hearing that question would just laugh contemptuously at the confused old folk stuck in the mud. So I think that what's happened is that a generation of people in middle age have found that the precepts have changed, therefore no comedy is ever possible anymore. But I kind of think the sky isn't falling on comedy yet.

phantom_power

Of course, comedy is also impossible when you spend every waking moment on Twitter obsessing over something that doesn't really affect you, rather than thinking and writing comedy

Cuellar

Think of the comedy potential of a world where 2+2=5 though! Nothing would work! Maths would fail. Time itself would dissolve. A real lol fest!

marquis_de_sad

Even using Linehan's meaning, comedy should be really easy in a world where the ruling ideology says something so patently false. The fact that he's apparently not even trying to write some godawful 'gender critical' comedy says more about his wasted talent than how oppressed he is by people on twitter.

yeah it's really weird that his point seems to be that if the world was really rigorously logical, then it would be easier to make jokes about it? isn't that the exact opposite of what is actually true?

Mango Chimes

I think it's more just an acknowledgement that he's given up being a comedy writer and is now a full-time Twitter... thing.

What could have been, Pope Ted.

Barry Admin

No I can see the idea, while disagreeing with him; it's that you need to have a stable sense of logic, so that you can then twist and subvert it to make things funny. He'd probably argue that much of Monty Python is no longer amusing, because men do actually dress up as women now and incels gamergate woke stasi beard Owen Jones misogyny etc.

Ah right, that does actually make some sort of sense

I think he's confused 'logic' for social convention, received wisdom and shared understanding though. Always a bit of a red flag to me when people start grumbling that the world has become illogical because, well, it always was

McFlymo

It's a 1984 reference, isn't it?

... It's political correctness gonfejifjrfsegragsrtgaregarsvsdjdvsc.... oh just fuck off mate.

I quite liked that Radiohead song 2+2=5

Quote from: McFlymo on March 18, 2019, 03:15:54 PM
It's a 1984 reference, isn't it?

Oh my god it is as well! Linehan has gone full "read some fucking Orwell"

Barry Admin

So it is! Hahahahaha

QuoteThe phrase "two plus two equals five" ("2 + 2 = 5") is a slogan used in many different forms of media, most notably the 1949 dystopian novel 1984 by George Orwell. In the novel, it is used as an example of an obviously false dogma that one may be required to believe, similar to other obviously false slogans promoted by the Party in the novel.

Orwell's protagonist, Winston Smith, uses the phrase to wonder if the State might declare "two plus two equals five" as a fact; he ponders whether, if everybody believes it, that makes it true. The Inner Party interrogator of thought-criminals, O'Brien, says of the mathematically false statement that control over physical reality is unimportant; so long as one controls one's own perceptions to what the Party wills, then any corporeal act is possible, in accordance with the principles of doublethink ("Sometimes they are five. Sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once").[1]

Quote from: OrwellIn the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it. It was inevitable that they should make that claim sooner or later: the logic of their position demanded it. Not merely the validity of experience, but the very existence of external reality, was tacitly denied by their philosophy. The heresy of heresies was common sense. And what was terrifying was not that they would kill you for thinking otherwise, but that they might be right. For, after all, how do we know that two and two make four? Or that the force of gravity works? Or that the past is unchangeable? If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable – what then?[26]

phantom_power

Surely these transactivist neckbeard gamergate wokebloke womensilencers are ripe for satirising. If he believes in the cause as much as he says he does he should be making horrifically transphobic yet hilarious sketches and damn the cancelling he would be bound to receive. I mean, he managed it in the IT Crowd and he wasn't even trying

chveik

it's weird that only alt-right types end up quoting Orwell. I doubt he would have been happy about that.

canadagoose

Quote from: phantom_power on March 18, 2019, 03:37:45 PM
Surely these transactivist neckbeard gamergate wokebloke womensilencers are ripe for satirising. If he believes in the cause as much as he says he does he should be making horrifically transphobic yet hilarious sketches and damn the cancelling he would be bound to receive. I mean, he managed it in the IT Crowd and he wasn't even trying
The weird thing is, for being so obsessed with "TRAs", GC types like Gl🌽nner never have a very good idea of what actual trans women (and other trans people and allies) are like, so their parodies never seem very funny. Not because they're "offensive", but because they're not recognisable; they're usually more based on what they think we probably would be like rather than anything else. An actual good parody would be the character ContraPoints created who debated with Tiffany Tumbles and talked about the "mouthfeel". That one was on point.

Barry Admin

And Tiffany Tumbles herself is an absolutely brutal parody of Blaire White. I saw a lot of little references in that video to Contra's own debate with Blaire White actually. The ones that come to mind are the pink anime wig forming part of the set, and the moderator (Rubin) referring to the whole thing as "a shitshow", which was the exact phrase Shoe0nHead used near the end.

In fact, that's one of my favourite Contrapoints videos by far, it really is brutal as fuck, and the more you know about Blaire White, the more savage and sad it gets.

canadagoose

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 18, 2019, 04:42:08 PM
And Tiffany Tumbles is an absolutely brutal parody of Blaire White. I saw a lot of little references in that video to Contra's one debate with Blaire White actually. The ones that come to mind are the pink anime wig forming part of the set, and the mediator referring to the whole thing as "a shitshow", which was the exact phrase Shoe0nHead used near the end.

In fact, that's one of my favourite Contrapoints videos by far, it really is brutal as fuck, and the more you know about Blaire White, the more savage and sad it gets.
Oh, definitely. I feel like Wynn got quite close to White's actual thinking processes in that video. I wonder if she actually watched it...

Barry Admin

I'm gonna have to watch it again now, it's fucking brilliant, the intro just delighted me and had me beaming - her using a makeup shade called "snowflake" :-D

It's here:
https://youtu.be/j1dJ8whOM8E

From the YouTube comment I made at the time, the other thing I thought it really nailed was the trans gatekeeping and transphobia toward Riley Dennis, which of course  isn't confined to Blaire White by any means, but it is something she's been particularly guilty of. As a trans woman...

Edit: fixed link. Hahahha, "Intersectional AF", this is ace. And does make some valid points about the left too.

JamesTC

That change to his profile makes me think he had a pitch rejected or a deal pulled because he is such a huge transphobe heroic soldier of feminism.

jsgibble

It will be interesting to see how much work he'll get when Motherland finishes

Jerzy Bondov

Ignatius_S

Quote from: jsgibble on March 18, 2019, 07:08:52 PM
It will be interesting to see how much work he'll get when Motherland finishes

Did he get that much from Motherland?

gne

I think it's pretty unfair labelling Linehan as "alt-right," I basically agree with him on this topic...does that instantly make me alt-right?

Quote from: gne on March 18, 2019, 09:09:48 PM
I think it's pretty unfair labelling Linehan as "alt-right," I basically agree with him on this topic...does that instantly make me alt-right?

No, there's definitely a distinction. The term 'Alt-right' should really be reserved for people who are into the race stuff

keir

If he ever comes out if this I bet it's all "it was twitter's fault, everyone should leave twitter, look at how harmful twitter is, I am blameless, except perhaps I was weak and took too long to see how harmful twitter is".

Flouncer

Quote from: gne on March 18, 2019, 09:09:48 PM

Nah, it doesn't make you alt right. You're probably just some type of cunt.