Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:53:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Charity stream hosted to spite transphobic tosser Graham Linehan [split topic]

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, January 20, 2019, 01:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Christ just saw a tweet of his about some drag performer who on a sex offenders register or something and was at a 'drag story time' event where drag Queens read to children. It just said

WHO COULD HAVE PREDICTED THIS?!

I mean for fucks sake. So what, Graham? People who do drag are degenerates, aren't they. Probably all nonces. It's not normal is it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cuellar on March 18, 2019, 02:20:07 PM
Think of the comedy potential of a world where 2+2=5 though! Nothing would work! Maths would fail. Time itself would dissolve. A real lol fest!

This is what Ricky Gervais should've done instead of After Life.

machotrouts

Quote from: Cuellar on March 18, 2019, 10:37:42 PM
Christ just saw a tweet of his about some drag performer who on a sex offenders register or something and was at a 'drag story time' event where drag Queens read to children. It just said

WHO COULD HAVE PREDICTED THIS?!

I mean for fucks sake. So what, Graham? People who do drag are degenerates, aren't they. Probably all nonces. It's not normal is it.

This is interesting, because one of the things that allows TERFism to gain credence with ostensible progressives, to differentiate it from your standard Daily Mail pull-up-your-trousers conservatism, is the supposition that trans people are a threat to gender noncomformity – like, little girls who cut their hair short and put on a pair of jeans will be forcefed puberty blockers and have a penis stapled on them by the government, that kind of thing. But nope, we've jettisoned that tenet now, it's all in on the dreariest right-wing tropes, baby! Drag queens!? Around children!?!? You couldn't make it up!!!!!!

madhair60

Weird seeing the Burnistoun bloke praising Linegammon's comedy today. I'd actually completely forgotten he was ever involved in writing

jsgibble

he

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 18, 2019, 01:39:51 PM
To cross-post, Thomas quoted Chris Morris talking about his new film, and while it's undoubtedly a total coincidence, I was struck by how precisely CM nailed what an old bastard someone like Glinner is:

QuoteHow do you feel about the current political moment in regard to satire? Both in the United States and the United Kingdom, where reality often seems absurd, do you have to make the ridiculous even more ridiculous to make comedy out of it?

And I think a certain class of people who were involved in producing a certain angle of satirical work, actually were relying on very stable ground that wouldn't change. Of course, things do change and we're living through a period of change. So you suddenly have to start thinking. And I think someone who was 25 hearing that question would just laugh contemptuously at the confused old folk stuck in the mud. So I think that what's happened is that a generation of people in middle age have found that the precepts have changed, therefore no comedy is ever possible anymore. But I kind of think the sky isn't falling on comedy yet.

That looks like a really interesting interview. Would you have a link please?

Both Tim Heidecker and Armando Iannucci (The Thick of It) have complained about politics being a parody of itself nowadays. The net result is that lampooning seems like a cheap and out of date joke, as the reality is far bleaker. In some ways sending up a topic or target can conversely often work in their favour, as it humanises the person/issue - see Trump.

Cuellar

Quote from: machotrouts on March 19, 2019, 02:28:51 AM
This is interesting, because one of the things that allows TERFism to gain credence with ostensible progressives, to differentiate it from your standard Daily Mail pull-up-your-trousers conservatism, is the supposition that trans people are a threat to gender noncomformity – like, little girls who cut their hair short and put on a pair of jeans will be forcefed puberty blockers and have a penis stapled on them by the government, that kind of thing. But nope, we've jettisoned that tenet now, it's all in on the dreariest right-wing tropes, baby! Drag queens!? Around children!?!? You couldn't make it up!!!!!!

Yeah, it was quite a surprising (or maybe not) thing to see - assuming drag queens are all sex offenders and probably paedos is flat out reactionary homophobia.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Cuellar on March 19, 2019, 10:23:22 AM
Yeah, it was quite a surprising (or maybe not) thing to see - assuming drag queens are all sex offenders and probably paedos is flat out reactionary homophobia.

But! https://twitter.com/Glinner/status/1107733238548754433

He's reached the point now where I actually don't know what point he's making. Which is a blessed relief, really – I've found checking in on his feed morbidly fascinating, but now it's just white noise.

Cuellar

Ahh right, so I'm the real homophobe for thinking he thinks drag queens are all paedophiles.

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: Cuellar on March 19, 2019, 11:47:34 AM
Ahh right, so I'm the real homophobe for thinking he thinks drag queens are all paedophiles.

You also hate women.

Cuellar

Soup Dogg

I love the sheer fucking stupidity of the idea that the more often you type the word WOMEN on twitter the more objectively right you are.

NoSleep

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: jsgibble on March 19, 2019, 09:50:28 AM
Oh, I hadn't heard about that. Is there a source?
No mention of him on the official BBC announcement, just three cis women:
QuoteMotherland (6x30') is written by Sharon Horgan (Catastrophe, Pulling), Helen Linehan (Motherland series one) and Holly Walsh (Dead Boss, The Other One)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2018/comedy

He may well have mentioned it himself too. No idea. While looking for the link I noticed quite a few news sites reproducing the announcement seemed to assume Graham was still working on it. I don't think it's a conspiracy or anything, just laziness.

bigfatheart

Quote from: RicoMNKN on March 19, 2019, 10:57:09 AM
This thread feels a self-own.
https://twitter.com/Glinner/status/1107716880679292929
Nothing related to comedy or writing appears on Graham's one.

Saw that last night - I like how 'blocked' and 'police' are on there, because of course they are.

Twed

Quote from: mippy on March 19, 2019, 10:42:56 PM
Now having a dig at Josie Long

https://mobile.twitter.com/Glinner/status/1108055948663369730
"It's offensive to accuse people of things they have done" is the go-to argument of people who value allegiance over justice. "TERF is a slur" means "don't say that about a person from MY social group".

jobotic

The replies

The Emperor
@emperor_naked
·
3h
Replying to
@Glinner
Modern day Eva Brauns and the lot of them can fuck themselves

Rena
@ElCoso8
·
2m
Replying to
@Glinner
Josie Long.
Don't spare them. If they're on the right side of history, they've got nothing to worry about.

Barry Admin

Oh right, is the King of all Women telling them what they are and are not allowed to be worried about again?

Quoted for (the right side of) history.

Quote from: LinehanIt absolutely does my head in when I see supposedly progressive women supporting the removal of their own sex-based rights. It makes me feel like I'm going mad.

The privilege on show is just something else. No thought for vulnerable women, like those who will be affected by the closure of rape crisis centres that won't (CAN'T) admit men. No thought for Karen White's victims.

They just declare 'trans women are women' without a moment's thought for those women less fortunate than them who are at the sharp end of that dogma.

Saw one (supposedly progressive) woman comedian today calling women 'TERFS'. I guess when your biggest worry is what you're going to say on Have I Got News For You', it's easy to look down on women fighting the closure of rape crisis centres

If only women cared about rape and rape crisis centres as much as Graham does!!

Ferris

Is he still banging on about this? Jesus. Someone needs to take him to one side and have a quiet word.

Presumably this is starting to impact him professionally/financially.

St_Eddie

Moribunderast

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 19, 2019, 11:42:59 PM
Is he still banging on about this?

Yes. The answer will always be yes. It's been years and shows no sign of abating. This is his life now.

magval

Quote from: madhair60 on March 19, 2019, 08:34:40 AM
Weird seeing the Burnistoun bloke praising Linegammon's comedy today. I'd actually completely forgotten he was ever involved in writing

Bet you it wasn't the good one from Burnistoun.