Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:50:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Charity stream hosted to spite transphobic tosser Graham Linehan [split topic]

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, January 20, 2019, 01:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AliasTheCat

I just find the whole thing incredibly depressing, with the caveat that this thread did at least introduce me to ContraPoints, who is great.
"I'm on the right side of history!" screamed Linehan (50), wrongly.

idunnosomename

what did he quote? the person he quoted seems to have run off twitter because of the terf army. what a hellsite as they say

Barry Admin

He's now retweeting more stuff about kids on Tumblr, Graham Linehan is worried about "dfab enby's", I'm fucking laughing out loud... what a stupid mad old cunt!

https://mobile.twitter.com/lacroicsz/status/1069322097959280646

Ferris

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 21, 2019, 03:24:31 AM
He's now retweeting more stuff about kids on Tumblr, Graham Linehan is worried about "dfab enby's", I'm fucking laughing out loud... what a stupid mad old cunt!

https://mobile.twitter.com/lacroicsz/status/1069322097959280646

Yeah, imagine being so old and out of touch you don't know what those are! Hahaha.

Obviously I know what that/they/those are and the cultural context, but perhaps you could provide a short explanation for some of our older/less zeitgeist members.

phantom_power

Guessing DFAB is Designated Female At Birth. Fuck knows about ENBY's

Salty_fries

Enby is a somewhat cutesy name for non-binary gender (nb -> enby)

phantom_power

So the problem seems to be that some women are saying they have privilege over trans women because they are less likely to be raped and assaulted? And gender critical (i.e. TERF) people are saying that this is bad because it is women "deferring" to trans women and another example of women being silenced?

This really is down the rabbit hole of fuck-headed thinking and taking fringe attitudes and amplifying them to condemn a group of people. I think Paris Lees tweeted the other day that TG people make up less than 1% of the population and yet according to Linehan and his gang seem to be responsible for all of society's ills

Jockice

Quote from: phantom_power on March 21, 2019, 09:27:37 AM
This really is down the rabbit hole of fuck-headed thinking and taking fringe attitudes and amplifying them to condemn a group of people. I think Paris Lees tweeted the other day that TG people make up less than 1% of the population and yet according to Linehan and his gang seem to be responsible for all of society's ills

Said if before and I'll no doubt say it again, but I've knowingly met less than half a dozen TG people in my entire life - and that includes time spent on the outskirts of showbiz where such lifestyles  are more tolerated. It's only in the warped brains of Linehan etc that it can be seen as a problem at all.

bgmnts

I've conversed with no transgendered people in my life. One was only a transvestite on the weekends and adopted a personality of a woman, so a weird disassociative thing there, and the other was a 16 year old Brazilian who didn't consider themselves transgendered and just said they're whatever so I have no clue.

They aren't common by any means.

Ferris

Quote from: Jockice on March 21, 2019, 09:55:40 AM
Said if before and I'll no doubt say it again, but I've knowingly met less than half a dozen TG people in my entire life - and that includes time spent on the outskirts of showbiz where such lifestyles  are more tolerated. It's only in the warped brains of Linehan etc that it can be seen as a problem at all.

I must be in a similar magnitude, that's why I find the obsession so bizarre.

This is such a niche issue that is nothing to do with him - is it even worth Glinner having an opinion about? And having formed an opinion there's no way it is worth defending online, and there's definitely no way it's worth sinking this much time into. It would only appear to be a problem if you spent your entire waking life online searching for this specific talking point, which I assume he does.

I'm less perturbed by the opinion itself (though it does seem wack), than the obsessive requirement to bang on about it at all costs. That's why I thought it all sounded so grim. He's gone a bit bonkers.

Barry Admin

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 21, 2019, 03:44:50 AM
Yeah, imagine being so old and out of touch you don't know what those are! Hahaha.

Obviously I know what that/they/those are and the cultural context, but perhaps you could provide a short explanation for some of our older/less zeitgeist members.

I didn't know what dfab enbys were either. It wasn't him being out of touch I found so funny, rather it was him being quite so interested in what kids on Tumblr were saying. The sheer fucking level of obsession and lack of clarity or perspective is absolutely breath-taking.

Ferris

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 21, 2019, 01:15:21 PM
I didn't know what dfab enbys were either. It wasn't him being out of touch I found so funny, rather it was him being quite so interested in what kids on Tumblr were saying. The sheer fucking level of obsession and lack of clarity or perspective is absolutely breath-taking.

Ohhh sorry that makes more sense - I should have got that from context, but I am very tired.

Glinner is 50 going on 19

phantom_power

Well I am sure Glinner is happy to know that he is on the same side of this debate as Piers Morgan. You think that would give him a swift dose of reality

It is a niche issue but people like Glinner seem to think that evil men with nefarious purposes will take advantage of these non-existent self-ID loopholes to enter women-only spaces, little thinking that they can do that now anyway but rarely seem to think to. They mask it as allowing vulnerable women places where they feel safe but when the thing that might make them feel safe is inflated or even made up by the Glinnerati then it would seem they are doing more harm than good if making women feel safe is their aim

Fisher Goes Berserk

Quote from: bgmnts on March 21, 2019, 10:32:14 AM
I've conversed with no transgendered people in my life.

...that you know of. One problem with this debate is the widespread assumption that all trans people are readily identifiable. This is not the case at all, especially for people who've transitioned early in life.

And it matters, because Glinner's mob have been curiously silent about how they would exclude trans women consistently from women's spaces. Are they proposing to station someone at the door of every public bathroom to filter out trans people? And how do they think they would know?

If it's other people's genitals that bother them, they'll need to check the contents of everyone's pants, just to filter out all those pesky trans people who 'pass'. This is what the result would look like.

Or maybe they would just judge individuals by their appearance: it's fine to go into your chosen bathroom as long as you pass. A highly unpleasant approach (and, given that one line of their argument is that trans ideology reinforces gender stereotypes, completely hypocritical).

But yes, this debate is wildly disproportionate, and totally demented.

cliggg

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 21, 2019, 01:04:00 PM
I must be in a similar magnitude, that's why I find the obsession so bizarre.

This is such a niche issue that is nothing to do with him - is it even worth Glinner having an opinion about? And having formed an opinion there's no way it is worth defending online, and there's definitely no way it's worth sinking this much time into. It would only appear to be a problem if you spent your entire waking life online searching for this specific talking point, which I assume he does.

I'm less perturbed by the opinion itself (though it does seem wack), than the obsessive requirement to bang on about it at all costs. That's why I thought it all sounded so grim. He's gone a bit bonkers.
He was on RTE tv with his wife here in Ireland about a few years ago discussing abortion. They had some experiences with that so I could understand (to an extent at least) if he was tweeting all day every day about that but as you say this is not part of his life at all really, as far as I know anyway. It is just intense obsession and an absolute refusal to let anyone who disagrees with him have the last word. Arthur Matthews should offer to write another series of Father Ted just to get Graham off the feckin' internet!

phantom_power

One of the main bits of disingenuous behaviour of these people is the focus on male to female transgender people. F2M seems to get pretty much ignored as it doesn't fit the narrative, despite being fundamentally the same thing

Fisher Goes Berserk

Quote from: phantom_power on March 21, 2019, 03:15:16 PM
One of the main bits of disingenuous behaviour of these people is the focus on male to female transgender people. F2M seems to get pretty much ignored as it doesn't fit the narrative, despite being fundamentally the same thing

No no, they've worked out a convenient objection to that too: all FTM trans people are just self-loathing lesbians, and the trans rights movement is contributing to 'lesbian erasure' (a phrase that always makes me think of that time kd lang and Andy Bell did a duet at the Brits).

The assumptions these arguments are based on are ironically very sexist: trans women must be evil and manipulative (because they were born male), and trans men must be vulnerable and impressionable (because they were born female).

gilbertharding

Aye /\ /\ /\

There's also a prurient obsession with exactly what brand of sexual intercourse 'these people' will be up to which looks a lot like projection from here.

It's none of your business mate.

phantom_power

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 21, 2019, 03:36:00 PM
Aye /\ /\ /\

There's also a prurient obsession with exactly what brand of sexual intercourse 'these people' will be up to which looks a lot like projection from here.

And what sort of tackle they have in their pants don't forget

remember when he did that hilarous photo of him naked on the toilet. a classic by graham.

When did he last tweet something funny? unless you class this weird rabbit hole as some performance art piece.

Someone had a popular tweet about 'remembering when' on Twitter and a woman mentioned  how they enjoyed #BadFilmClub "back when Graham was alright" , he wasn't @'ed but he was straight in there with his 'some of us care about womens rights' bollocks

McFlymo

Quote from: phantom_power on March 21, 2019, 03:50:09 PM
And what sort of tackle they have in their pants don't forget

We aren't we discussing the MOUTH FEEL???!!!

The whole thing is a fascinating (and depressing) example of how people can cherry pick internet sources to support whatever fucked up shite they want to believe. It all just boils down to a fear of trans people and a rejection of the idea that they should have rights and be visible. It's just disgusting and if Graham is having some sort of mental breakdown or this is his OCD getting out of hand, a) he really needs family, friends and trained professionals to intervene and b) His apology needs to be thousands and thousands of tweets supporting trans people, apologising to them and giving a lot of money to trans rights charities.

zomgmouse

Quote from: bgmnts on March 20, 2019, 07:34:38 PM
Is he just a cunt or is he legitimately mentally ill?

I don't know if it's that funny if he's really ill.

You can be mentally ill and also not a cunt so I think being a cunt is 100% on him regardless of any mental illness he may or may not have.

jsgibble

Does he really have OCD?

Either way, yeah he's spending far too much time on this stuff. Ignoring how harmful the message is it can't be good for him personally to be obsessing on twitter all day about trans people. He's always been a bit of a weirdo but this is something else

St_Eddie

Quote from: zomgmouse on March 23, 2019, 02:02:01 AM
You can be mentally ill and also not a cunt so I think being a cunt is 100% on him regardless of any mental illness he may or may not have.

Spot on.  Being a cunt is not a mental health related disability.  It's a related to being a cunt.

Dusty Substance

From what I can see, it looks like Glinner got into another trans Twitter disagreement today, this time with Robin Ince who subsequently appears to have deleted his account - Bearing in mind the amount of abusive anti-science/anti-evolution tweets Robin has endured since joining Twitter says a lot about the kind of "gender critical" shit he must have had thrown at him today by Glinner's transphobic zombie supporters. Anyone know exactly what happened?

McFlymo

Perhaps, like many, he reasoned that if Twitter is a place for Glinner and the like to thrive, then it's probably past its sell by date.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dusty Substance on March 27, 2019, 10:20:53 PM
From what I can see, it looks like Glinner got into another trans Twitter disagreement today, this time with Robin Ince who subsequently appears to have deleted his account - Bearing in mind the amount of abusive anti-science/anti-evolution tweets Robin has endured since joining Twitter says a lot about the kind of "gender critical" shit he must have had thrown at him today by Glinner's transphobic zombie supporters. Anyone know exactly what happened?

Perhaps he's deactivated temporarily it as a 'shields up' measure. Something someone who has had their fair share of shit flung at them might be wise to that one.

Yeah, I don't know exactly what happened with Ince/Linehan but I do know that Robin Ince has deactivated his account in the past at times when people start piling on.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 23, 2019, 03:33:46 AM
Spot on.  Being a cunt is not a mental health related disability.  It's a related to being a cunt.

Eh, it doesn't excuse cuntish behaviour, but there may be some empathy to be had.  Mental illness can certainly make people act and speak destructively.  Not that I'm diagnosing him or owt, but this is clearly not a happy person who's in control of his thoughts or emotions.