Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:22:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mitch Hedberg appreciation thread

Started by Ferris, January 22, 2019, 05:24:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

He was one of the first comics I "discovered" for myself and had a big impact on my sense of humour (along with Gary Larson cartoons, Brass Eye, and Lee & Herring), but I don't think I've seen a mention of him in my time on CaB.

Weird concepts and a unique delivery, sometimes cerebral but often just silly. I always loved the way he didn't waste words - everything honed to be the minimum possible verbal input to get a laugh.

Anyway, I came across this on YouTube - it has a few lines that are new to me (and I'm a bit of a completist) so I thought I'd post it here. I'm sure everyone's heard of him, but hey maybe there's a few that haven't and would enjoy checking him out. Enjoy.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Z3QLxaUufmQ

St_Eddie

There's no way that this "Mitch Hedberg" fellow is a real person.  Not with a name like that.  Why are you appreciating people who don't exist?

popcorn

He had some of the best one-liners ever, so we might as well kick things off by quoting a few of them:

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.

I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long.

I wanted to buy a candle holder, but the store didn't have one. So I got a cake.

Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 22, 2019, 06:11:09 AM
There's no way that this "Mitch Hedberg" fellow is a real person.  Not with a name like that.  Why are you appreciating people who don't exist?

To be fair, he doesn't exist anymore. He's all dead, and that.

Howj Begg

QuoteI used to take drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.

A motto to live by.

SteveDave

Bluddy love him. Awlrigh'

I paid homage to him in one of my songs. By homage I mean I ripped off his "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall" joke.

phantom_power

I used to do drugs. I still do but I used to as well

Cheese grater is the nice name for it. Another name would be sponge fucker-upper

I'm always on the road, and I drive rental cars. Sometimes I don't know what's going on with the car, and I'll drive for ten miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake. What kind of emergency is this? I need to not stop now. It's not really an emergency brake, it's an emergency make-the-car-smell-funny lever.

I travel with a boom box. When I get on a plane, I stuff the power cord for the boom box into the battery compartment. From an outsider's point of view, it looks like I've got it all wrong.

I lived in an apartment, and I had a neighbor. I knew that whenever he knocked on the wall, he wanted me to turn my music down. I'd mess with his head. I'd say, "Go around. I cannot open the wall!"

madhair60

What if the Headless Horseman had a Headless Horse? That would be fucking chaos.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Mitch Hedberg, especially his use of paraprosdokians. I really like paraprosdikians....you didn't expect me to say that, did you?...oh no, wait a minute, you didn't expect me to say *this*.

up_the_hampipe

There's little gems on YouTube, such as this college performance where he wings most of his set https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXHfge_kCS8

I love that Comedy Central Presents in the OP, as he was struggling to get the audience on board for most of it, but they were getting into it towards the end of his time, so he just refuses to leave. I think that's the first time CC aired one of these episodes extended and unedited.

MortSahlFan

A top 10 favorite of mine... Not only the best one-liner comedian, but probably the only one worth seeing.

zomgmouse

What a guy.

I saw a commercial on late night TV, it said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were.

My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana. I said, "No, but I want a regular banana later, so... yeah."

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: MortSahlFan on January 22, 2019, 11:49:54 AM
A top 10 favorite of mine... Not only the best one-liner comedian, but probably the only one worth seeing.

I wouldn't even strictly call him a one-liner. He certainly has plenty of them, but a lot of his act is like short bits, a small burst of ideas on various things. Almost like he's just reading from notes he scribbled down when he was high at 4am.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 22, 2019, 02:01:46 PM
I wouldn't even strictly call him a one-liner. He certainly has plenty of them, but a lot of his act is like short bits, a small burst of ideas on various things. Almost like he's just reading from notes he scribbled down when he was high at 4am.

Thats pretty much what he did.  After he died there was a tribute show (on Sirius maybe?) with his wife (or partner? ) Lynn and Doug Stanhope and they played some of his writing process, which involved him walking around with a minidisc player and talking into it so theres all these minidiscs of Mitch getting high, wandering around and coming up with material.

ETA - anyone seen Los Enchiladas? I still havent got around to watching it, probably because Marc Maron is in it. Any good?

SteveDave

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 22, 2019, 02:18:38 PM
ETA - anyone seen Los Enchiladas? I still havent got around to watching it, probably because Marc Maron is in it. Any good?

I saw it a long while ago and remember it being quite slow but funny in places. It felt like it was edited strangely as there were long gaps after jokes/quips where people would just stand around. Almost like they were going to add a laugh track?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 22, 2019, 02:18:38 PM

Was about to ask that. The full thing is on YouTube, might check it out tonight.

BeardFaceMan

I've uploaded that radio show if anyone wants a listen, theres some interesting stuff in there if I remember rightly, I'll have to listen to it again. PM me for the link.

I really liked the album he did with Chuck, the music really added to the vibe of the whole set without being a distraction.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 22, 2019, 03:32:57 PM
This is it here, right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsiKdurIKys

It is. Hehe I grabbed this on soulseek years ago, I never think to check youtube for these things.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

He had such a unique delivery that made everything sound funny, he almost didn't need to bother with jokes. But he did anyway.

lankyguy95

"I write jokes for a living, I sit at my hotel at night, I think of something that's funny, then I go get a pen and I write it down. Or if the pen is too far away, I have to convince myself that what I thought of ain't funny."

Ornlu

QuoteI had a parrot. The parrot talked, but it did not say "I'm hungry" so it died.

QuoteI was gonna stay overnight at my friend's house, he said "You're going to have to sleep on the floor"... damn gravity.

QuoteI turned to my friend and said "How do you abbreviate Arkansas?" He said "I don't know, just start spelling it, and then quit".

Honestly, almost of half of these is in the delivery. Love the man, big influence.

ToneLa

I used to quote, deadpan as that was my style at the time, Mitch jokes to more than a few friends.

It is testament to his delivery than I sent them the very same jokes and they latched onto a new appreciation upon hearing him. (As in they laughed)

Also love Stanhope saying Mitch fuckin hated sports

Blinder Data

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 22, 2019, 12:56:07 PM
My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana. I said, "No, but I want a regular banana later, so... yeah."

It is the way he tells them, eh? His strange pronunciation - "regg-oo-lah"

Legend

hummingofevil

https://twitter.com/steveaustinbsr/status/1088293642349903874?s=21

Are you reading this Stone Cold?

I've just realised that joke annoys me. The way I remembered it as "...used to do too." Mitch says "...used to too." which doesn't flow as nicely.

PlasticTom

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 22, 2019, 12:56:07 PM

This is what I opened the thread to post. What a perfectly worded joke

phantom_power

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 24, 2019, 09:27:53 AM

I've just realised that joke annoys me. The way I remembered it as "...used to do too." Mitch says "...used to too." which doesn't flow as nicely.

Half of the joke is the awkward wording and delivery for me.

BeardFaceMan

What was his Smackie the frog bit all about? Something he made up, got wrong or is it a reference to something I'm unaware of? It reminded me of when Bill Hicks talked about being offered an advert for something called Orange Drink when in the UK, I dont what hes referring to there either.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 24, 2019, 09:27:53 AM

Stone Cold being a Hedberg fan is great. There's some about Hedberg that just seems to get everyone. I don't know anyone that disliked him.