Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:50:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mitch Hedberg appreciation thread

Started by Ferris, January 22, 2019, 05:24:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 24, 2019, 10:18:54 AM
What was his Smackie the frog bit all about? Something he made up, got wrong or is it a reference to something I'm unaware of? It reminded me of when Bill Hicks talked about being offered an advert for something called Orange Drink when in the UK, I dont what hes referring to there either.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_Smacks

Essentially Kellogg's version of Sugar Puffs.  Is he conflating mascots?

BeardFaceMan

He must be, that doesnt really have much to do with preventing forest fires, unless you use any spare milk left afterwards to dampen the ground.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 24, 2019, 09:27:53 AM
I've just realised that joke annoys me. The way I remembered it as "...used to do too." Mitch says "...used to too." which doesn't flow as nicely.

That's just the difference 'twixt English and American grammar - "used to do too" sounds as odd to Yank ears as "used to too" does to yours...

rasta-spouse

I think I'd find anything in his delivery amusing (not phonebooks, though).

I've watched some early Aziz Ansari and Hari Kondabolu sets on yt and they both seem to start out as very Hedberg influenced. 

nugget

I've only ever heard his three official albums (and that was a really long time ago) so all these links to youtube sets are much appreciated.

Quote from: phantom_power on January 22, 2019, 09:10:27 AM

Cheese grater is the nice name for it. Another name would be sponge fucker-upper

I saw James Acaster use this exact joke in a live set a couple of years ago. The only difference was he changed "sponge fucker-upper" to "destroyer of sponges". It made me laugh but I had either forgotten or never heard the Hedberg version.

Ferris

I heard a comic do a Smokie the Bear routine: "only you can prevent forest fires" so I yelled at my TV "but Smokie, I'm only 8 years old! That's a lot of pressure"

...which I'm sure is a Hedberg line. Isn't it?

BeardFaceMan

There used to be a website that had loads of Hedberg audio stuff, bootlegs, radio promos, interviews etc but I can't remember the name of it. So I just had a Hedberg google and 6 months ago his wife Lynn was talking about how much unreleased material she has of his and how its all now being digitized and going to get released, theres documentary stuff, a possible concert film, dictaphone tapes, endless notepads, and it's all new, unheard material too. Can't find any new info after her initial statement though, anyone know what's happening with all this?

TheMonk

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 28, 2019, 02:05:59 AM
There used to be a website that had loads of Hedberg audio stuff, bootlegs, radio promos, interviews etc but I can't remember the name of it. So I just had a Hedberg google and 6 months ago his wife Lynn was talking about how much unreleased material she has of his and how its all now being digitized and going to get released, theres documentary stuff, a possible concert film, dictaphone tapes, endless notepads, and it's all new, unheard material too. Can't find any new info after her initial statement though, anyone know what's happening with all this?
Notepad and dictaphone tapes? Can't imagine any comedian wanting all of their unformed ideas released. Sounds grim.

BeardFaceMan

Theyre not so much unformed ideas,  just jokes that he hadnt used. Same with the concert film and the documentary he did a voiceover for. The more personal stuff being released I'm not really a fan of but its no different to that recent Garry Shandling doc really. But then you can take anything his ex says with a pinch of salt, who knows whats really there and if it will ever get released.