Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:57:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oscars: Class of 2018

Started by Bad Ambassador, January 22, 2019, 02:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

Nominations are out.

Best Picture: Black Panther, BlacKKKlansman, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Favourite, Green Book, Roma, A Star is Born, Vice.
Best Director: Alfonso Cuarón (Roma), Yorgos Lanthimos (The Favourite), Spike Lee (BlacKKKlansman), Adam McKay (Vice), Paweł Pawlikowski (Cold War).
Best Actor: Christian Bale (Vice), Bradley Cooper (A Star is Born), Willem Dafoe (At Eternity's Gate), Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody), Viggo Mortensen (Green Book).
Best Actress: Yalitza Aparicio (Roma), Glenn Close (The Wife), Olivia Colman (The Favourite), Lady Gaga (A Star is Born), Melissa McCarthy (Can You Ever Forgive Me?).
Best Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali (Green Book), Adam Driver (BlacKKKlansman), Sam Elliott (A Star is Born), Richard E. Grant (Can You Ever Forgive Me?), Sam Rockwell (Vice).
Best Supporting Actress: Amy Adams (Vice), Marina de Tavira (Roma), Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk), Emma Stone (The Favourite), Rachel Weisz (The Favourite).
Best Adapted Screenplay: The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, BlacKKKlansman, Can You Ever    Forgive Me?, If Beale Street Could Talk, A Star is Born.
Best Original Screenplay: The Favourite, First Reformed, Green Book, Roma, Vice.
Best Original Song: "All the Stars" (Black Panther), "When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings" (The Ballad of Buster Scruggs), "The Place Where Lost Things Go" (Mary Poppins Returns, "I'll Fight" (RBG), "Shallow" (A Star is Born).
Best Original Score: Black Panther, BlacKKKlansman, If Beale Street Could Talk, Isle of Dogs, Mary Poppins Returns.
Best Editing: BlacKKKlansman, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Favourite, Green Book, Vice.
Best Cinematography: Cold War, The Favourite, Never Look Away, Roma, A Star is Born.
Best Visual Effects: Avengers: Infinity War, Christopher Robin, First Man, Ready Player One, Solo: A Star Wars Story.
Best Make Up & Hair: Border, Mary Queen of Scots, Vice.
Best Production Design: Black Panther, The Favourite, First Man, Mary Poppins Returns, Roma.
Best Costume Design: The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Black Panther, The Favourite, Mary Poppins Returns, Mary Queen of Scots.
Best Sound Editing: Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody, First Man, A Quiet Place, Roma.
Best Sound Mixing: Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody, First Man, Roma, A Star is Born.
Best Foreign Language Film: Capernaum, Cold War, Never Look Away, Roma, Shoplifters.
Best Animated Feature: Incredibles 2, Isle of Dogs, Mirai, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.
Best Live-Action Short Film: Detainment, Fauve, Marguerite, Mother, Skin.
Best Animated Short Film: Animal Behaviour, Bao, Late Afternoon, One Small Step, Weekends.
Best Documentary Short: Black Sheep, End Game, Lifeboat, A Night at the Garden, Period. End of    Sentence.
Best Documentary Feature: Free Solo, Hale County: This Morning, This Evening, Minding the Gap, Of Fathers and Sons, RBG.

DrGreggles

Haven't seen any of them.
Call it a draw.

BlodwynPig

Black Panther Sheep KKKlansman

Making up for lost time

Sin Agog

I like the idea of sleb gossip hounds all sounding like they have a stutter when they say, "The Favourite the favourite to win."

phantom_power

Bohemian Rhapsody up for best film is a fucking joke. I enjoyed it but a) there were loads of better films this year and b) Bryan Singer

Also interesting that 2 Netflix films are in the mix for awards

bgmnts

I hope someone unleashes anthrax at the venue.

Small Man Big Horse

Best Picture: Black Panther, BlacKKKlansman, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Favourite, Green Book, Roma, A Star is Born, Vice.
Best Director: Alfonso Cuarón (Roma), Yorgos Lanthimos (The Favourite), Spike Lee (BlacKKKlansman), Adam McKay (Vice), Paweł Pawlikowski (Cold War).
Best Actor: Christian Bale (Vice), Bradley Cooper (A Star is Born), Willem Dafoe (At Eternity's Gate), Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody), Viggo Mortensen (Green Book).
Best Actress: Yalitza Aparicio (Roma), Glenn Close (The Wife), Olivia Colman (The Favourite), Lady Gaga (A Star is Born), Melissa McCarthy (Can You Ever Forgive Me?).
Best Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali (Green Book), Adam Driver (BlacKKKlansman), Sam Elliott (A Star is Born), Richard E. Grant (Can You Ever Forgive Me?), Sam Rockwell (Vice).
Best Supporting Actress: Amy Adams (Vice), Marina de Tavira (Roma), Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk), Emma Stone (The Favourite), Rachel Weisz (The Favourite).
Best Adapted Screenplay: The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, BlacKKKlansman, Can You Ever Forgive Me?, If Beale Street Could Talk, A Star is Born.
Best Original Screenplay: The Favourite, First Reformed, Green Book, Roma, Vice.
Best Foreign Language Film: Capernaum, Cold War, Never Look Away, Roma, Shoplifters.
Best Animated Feature: Incredibles 2, Isle of Dogs, Mirai, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

My predictions are in bold, with the film I want to win in red. On a few rare occasions they're both the same thing, but not often.

Funcrusher

Is Blackkklansman a likely Best Picture winner? I haven't seen it but I would have thought Roma ticks the boxes as the next Moonlight.

colacentral

Green Book will win best picture, nailed on. I've not seen it but it's classic Oscar material.

Black Panther being nominated is a piss take; mid-tier for Marvel, nevermind proper films.

Mister Six

I liked Black Panther quite a lot, but having it as best picture is absurd. Deserves to win for costuming though.

Haven't seen most of these nominations, sadly - need to get my arse in gear once Mrs Six has more free time at the end of the month.

Sin Agog

Did Stan & Ollie miss the deadline?

Mister Six

Quote from: Funcrusher on January 22, 2019, 04:32:21 PM
Is Blackkklansman a likely Best Picture winner? I haven't seen it but I would have thought Roma ticks the boxes as the next Moonlight.

I doubt it. I loved it to bits but it's probably a bit too idiosyncratic and not feelgood enough to win mainstream support. Green Book, on the other hand, sounds like a shoo-in, if Roma doesn't pip it to the post.

chveik

Why are Roma and The Favourite considered American films?

Funcrusher

Do we think that the Academy has to move away from Oscar bait like Green Book in the woke era? The Oscars are bollocks anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Sin Agog

Quote from: chveik on January 22, 2019, 06:00:05 PM

Theoretically, none of the categories exclude any country's output.  Including Best Foreign Language Film, provided it's in Cajun or Wiggerspeak.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 22, 2019, 05:18:23 PM
Did Stan & Ollie miss the deadline?

No, they just passed it over.

Funcrusher

The woker than thou take seems to be to complain that there aren't any female directors on the list. The BBC round up did it, without as is often the case being able to actually name any female directed films they wanted nominated.  Bradshaw in the Graun is bemoaning no nominations for You Were Never Really Here, which I thought was terrible, and Leave No Trace - not seen it, but I thought Winter's Bone was really overrated.

kidsick5000

That is an extraordinary best film list.
Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody?
They were entertaining but best film of the year? Especially for BR? If you voted that as best film you should have your Academy status revoked.

Rooting for Spider-Man in Animated and Infinity War for effects because Thanos is possibly the best CGi character I've seen.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Funcrusher on January 22, 2019, 06:03:30 PM
Do we think that the Academy has to move away from Oscar bait like Green Book in the woke era? The Oscars are bollocks anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

There's always the suspicion that the Academy voters go for the worthy option rather than what they've watched.
How you explain Bohemian Rhapsody is anyone's guess

Quote from: chveik on January 22, 2019, 06:00:05 PM

The 'rules' are very loose. 'Cries and Whispers' was up for Best Picture in '74, which just shows that they can acknowledge foreign films but usually opt not to

I forgot that a French film, 'The Artist', won in 2012

phantom_power

Green Book might suffer from getting flak about being another story about black people where the white person is the hero

Or preferably Green Book will get shit because the writer is a pro-Trump dicksplash who has tweeted anti-Muslim conspiracy theories.

With the Oscars a film has to meet the eligibility requirements before it can be considered, American or foreign it has to have played in a cinema in LA for a week to be considered eligible within the eligibility window. If a film is released by any other means first it's not eligible. If it's released streaming on the same day then it is eligible. Also a film has to be submitted by the distributors. They don't bother for lots of foreign language films because they don't think they'll get nominations

colacentral

Quote from: Funcrusher on January 22, 2019, 07:20:33 PM
The woker than thou take seems to be to complain that there aren't any female directors on the list. The BBC round up did it, without as is often the case being able to actually name any female directed films they wanted nominated.  Bradshaw in the Graun is bemoaning no nominations for You Were Never Really Here, which I thought was terrible, and Leave No Trace - not seen it, but I thought Winter's Bone was really overrated.

He complains in that article that Widows gets overlooked at all the awards - would be because it was dreadful Peter.

Z

Quote from: Funcrusher on January 22, 2019, 06:03:30 PM
I feel like in recent years they've started to edge their way back towards them tbh.

Feel like Green Book would've gotten a lot more derision a few years ago whereas its been kind of just accepted this time.

See Glenn Close got her routine nomination for some bland thing no one ever heard of.

Noodle Lizard

Bohemian Rhapsody won the Golden Globe for Best Picture (Drama).  Imagine.

Weird speech where nobody mentioned Bryan Singer, despite him having directed most of it.

chveik

Lady Gaga competing with Olivia Colman for best actress. the stuff of nightmares.

still, it's christmas in Tinseltown, the academy awards!

WHOS GONNA WIN WHOS GONNA LOSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEW5vZ9hZMg

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I cannot believe that the bloke who played Brian May in Bohemian Rhapsody hasn't been nominated for Best Supporting Actor. A truly uncanny performance. I'm not joking (not much anyway).

SteveDave

Gutted that there's nothing for "Death Wish"

thugler

Black kkklansman was fucking terrible