Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:58:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oscars: Class of 2018

Started by Bad Ambassador, January 22, 2019, 02:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjwilson

Quote from: Funcrusher on January 22, 2019, 07:20:33 PM
The woker than thou take seems to be to complain that there aren't any female directors on the list. The BBC round up did it, without as is often the case being able to actually name any female directed films they wanted nominated.  Bradshaw in the Graun is bemoaning no nominations for You Were Never Really Here, which I thought was terrible, and Leave No Trace - not seen it, but I thought Winter's Bone was really overrated.

Leave No Trace deserved a nomination I thought, but then again I thought The Florida Project should have won last year, so what do I know.

Bazooka

Quote from: mjwilson on January 23, 2019, 07:47:45 PM
Leave No Trace deserved a nomination I thought, but then again I thought The Florida Project should have won last year, so what do I know.

I liked William Defoe, but really disliked the mother and daughter so much that I could never watch the film again.

Z

Quote from: mjwilson on January 23, 2019, 07:47:45 PM
Leave No Trace deserved a nomination I thought
Not even that keen on it but that was a big surprise for me. I bet it totally botched the awards campaigning tbh, that film could've easily been marketed far more effectively. Female director with a legit great track record, whose previous film shot its star to the top of the industry, female lead in the post MeToo era, indie darling Ben Foster... I mean, it wasn't going to break box office records but the near total silence (beyond the reviews, that is) it had on release from both sides of the Atlantic was baffling.

Considering the increasing number of things that seem to garner mass acclaim on the strength of the message they're trying to say rather than anything to do with the actual quality of execution.

Possible it and the Rider watered down each others votes from the small subsection of voters that would consider either.

Icehaven

Am I wrong in thinking most of us would probably wouldn't have really registered Detainment or have known what it was about if the Bulger family hadn't objected to it so publically? Bit of a sad case of the Streisand effect.

hedgehog90

A Star is Born was a meaningless yawn of a film.
It's mind boggling to see so many plaudits for it.

Mister Six

I thought Cooper's direction was incredibly assured, especially for a debut, and he, Gaga and Sam Elliott were marvellous. It wasn't without merit at all. But it went on too long, didn't do a particularly good job of justifying that ending and failed to focus on (or satisfyingly resolve) the most interesting subplots, especially the Cooper/Elliott relationship and Cooper's frustration at Gaga "selling out". The latter in particular felt a bit Extras.

chveik

the music's atrocious. they should be ashamed of themselves, shitting on the Golden Age like that.

BlodwynPig

hedgehog90

SPOILER
Old rocker Cooper gets with young popper GaGa, his star wanes while her star rises, hangs himself at the end.

Bazooka

When they say Black Panther is nominated for best picture, they mean there is a scene in it with someone holding a picture/photograph right?

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Bazooka on January 27, 2019, 12:23:09 AM
When they say Black Panther is nominated for best picture, they mean there is a scene in it with someone holding a picture/photograph right?

A picture of dog shite