Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:06:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Britain’s Best Stand Ups (that are shit on TV and radio)

Started by hummingofevil, January 23, 2019, 03:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

Ill start this as a counterpoint to the other thread. Stand up is such a subjective art form anyhow but to diminish the quality of a good hour by having it filtered through the non-stand up friendly medium of TV is particularly brutal.

Bridget Christie. I hate her over exposure on Radio 4 and whatnot but live she is one of the finest acts of a generation. By exposing herself to a mainstream audience of cunts who seek to diminish her act as "feminist comedy" distracts from fact that she's an incredible presence in the flesh; the physicality she brings to her performance is a huge part of it and she's a very very funny comic. I hate her Radio 4 show as it removes all that is great about her from the audiebce.

Tony Law/Sam Simmons. Brilliant live and absolute dogshit when shoe-horned into panel shows. Simmons managed to do okay on 8 out of 10 cats by doing a bit of his act but it does neither of them justice.

Rosie Jones. This is a preemptive strike..if she hasn't already she will make msimstream TV but she will have the edges smoothed off and her condition will become the focus of her reviews. I loved her show last year as it is a slow burner; she controls her audience masterfully and plays with her circumstance better than pretty much anyone I've ever seen but underneath it there are great gags and a very sharp comic mind.

—-

So who shall we go see live despite their bigger profile?  That's what this is for.

John Kearns immediately came to mind when I saw the thread title. Don't think he's ever done anything on television that didn't make me feel embarrassed for recommending him to people

magval

Small Man Big Horse

I haven't seen him in a good while now but I always found Paul Foot incredibly irritating on panel shows, far too over the top and trying to get people's attentions, but live he was a delight.

DrGreggles

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: magval on January 23, 2019, 06:49:45 AM
What's Bridget Christie's radio 4 show called?

There's two so far, Bridget Christie's Utopia and Bridget Christie Minds The Gap.

magval

Thought she had something new. You not like those shows humming, I thought both were excellent, Utopia especially so. I've seen her live too though and she's a lot better on stage.

Tony Yeboah

Nish Kumar live is much better than Nish Kumar on The Mash Report. He doesn't laugh as much for a start.

Brundle-Fly

I was going to suggest Little Titch to continue the grand tradition of facetious smartarse replies on CaB and Googled 'music hall comedians' on All. In the top bar of images, some of the mismatched names to photos are quite amusing.  Go and have a look.

Apparently, Max Miller was a Cyril Smith lookalike, Max Bygraves was Peter Snow in a former life, Billy Bennett (1847- 1942) was a surf dude and Cecelia Loftus the Scottish Vaudevillian actress born in 1876 was a sassy woman from San Francisco who works in PR.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 23, 2019, 11:02:33 AM

Max Miller was a Cyril Smith lookalike, Max Bygraves was Peter Snow in a former life, Billy Bennett (1847- 1942) was a surf dude and Cecelia Loftus the Scottish Vaudevillian actress born in 1876 was a sassy woman from San Francisco who works in PR.

Insolent French Knight from " Monty Python and the Holy Grail "  considers taunts rewrite.

I remember watching Peacock & Gamble die on their arses as a duo and then again on separate occasions doing their solo acts on Russell Howard's Good News. Ian was especially bad on both attempts. Ed was just bland.

billyandthecloneasaurus

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 23, 2019, 09:59:39 AM
I haven't seen him in a good while now but I always found Paul Foot incredibly irritating on panel shows, far too over the top and trying to get people's attentions, but live he was a delight.

I've seen about 40 stand up shows in my life and Paul Foot was my least favourite by some distance.  I thought it was incredibly annoying lolrandom bollocks.  Biggest laugh I've had from him was at the gall of the man going on that podcast to talk about how 29 types of humour or whatever the fuck.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 23, 2019, 09:59:39 AM

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on January 28, 2019, 06:16:44 PM
I've seen about 40 stand up shows in my life and Paul Foot was my least favourite by some distance.  I thought it was incredibly annoying lolrandom bollocks.  Biggest laugh I've had from him was at the gall of the man going on that podcast to talk about how 29 types of humour or whatever the fuck.

I'll preface this by saying I've only seen Foot twice - once as part of an equal header lineup (with Marcus Brigstocke in character mode so he was quite good, and someone else I can't remember) and once on a solo full length show, and whilst he was far from being terrible - indeed I genuinely LOLd several times on both occasions - I noted how very..."ordinary" he was.  From his physical appearance and showings on panels I was expecting something akin to (to grab a non-comparative example from the air) The Mighty Boosh, but what I actually got was fairly routine and bog standard observational comedy.  Which is a bit shit when you previously followed Dominic Holland during his time on the public stage.