Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:46:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Deerhunter

Started by sardines, January 23, 2019, 07:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sardines

Deercunter more like.
Couldn't find anything on them and they have a new album out which has caused an outbreak of critic-cock rash from all the furious masturbating.

Any fans of the new one?

For some reason they have always wound me up the wrong way. Sounding as they often do like a facsimile of a 50-something balding man's record collection without any sense of knowingness and zero charm.
That and a solo show from the singer was self indulgent twaddle (and they were following Magma).

That said, if they were Scottish I'd probably fucking love 'em.

Edit: Found back the previous thread and it turns out they are universally loved here. I take back nothing.

Rocket Surgery

Quote from: sardines on January 23, 2019, 07:26:22 AM

Edit: Found back the previous thread and it turns out they are universally loved here. I take back nothing.

Nope.

Bently Sheds

I get Deer Hunter confused with Deerhoof and so don't listen to either to prevent further confusion.

Flouncer

The only thing I know them for is when the singer did that story about Billy Corgan. I like to rewatch that every now and again.

king_tubby

QuoteSounding as they often do like a facsimile of a 50-something balding man's record collection

Ha, spot on. And I will be stealing that and using it against my friends who like them.

chveik

Quote from: Bently Sheds on January 25, 2019, 09:46:55 AM
I get Deer Hunter confused with Deerhoof and so don't listen to either to prevent further confusion.

it's easy, Deerhoof is good, Deerhunter is shit.

sevendaughters

I put them on once around the Cryptograms tour and thought that record and the EP straight after were really good. Everything since hasn't piqued my interest too much. I also once ruined a song for yer man on vocals. He had this blog where he would post a song a day, demo stuff, and one had a girl's name and he said "this is for a girl at school who seemed lonely like me" (paraphrase) so I looked her up and found her and he was like "oh shit that's a different person at my school", he'd got the name wrong the daft 'nana.

alan nagsworth

They're amazing but they kinda lost my interest a bit after "Monomania". Ol' Coxy doesn't sound particularly interested in "sodomosing mediocrity" too much these days, it would seem.

Still, though, as much of a (goddamn beautiful) pastiche of rock 'n' roll aesthetics as they are, they're brilliant, and I'd go as far to say that the production makes up almost half of why their tunes are so good. The way "Microcastle" and "Halcyon Digest" sound to me, fucking hell. I remember when I first heard of them, reading about the "Microcastle", and Cox said he wanted the album to sound like a dusty old castle and the snare drums should sound "haunted". I though "nah mate fuck off" but then I listened to "Nothing Ever Happens" and "Agoraphobia" and bugger me he was exactly right.

My favourite thing about Cox and his batshit antics and opinions is when a guy at an Atlas Sound show heckled him for having boring songs so he turned the set into an non-stop hour long jam of "My Sharona" and got the lad onstage and tried to make him strip off for the crowd. Ace.

purlieu

Me too, I should probably remedy this.

Quote from: sardines on January 23, 2019, 07:26:22 AM
Sounding as they often do like a facsimile of a 50-something balding man's record collection
QuoteEdit: Found back the previous thread and it turns out they are universally loved here.
Well duh.

purlieu

Ok, so Deerhunter sound like a modern 4AD band (unsurprisingly).
Deerhoof are pretty good, though. I'll have to explore them further.

Bazooka

I got into them around the same time I discovered Animal Collective (who subsequently made all other music sound flat and hollow), but can't say I'm up to date now, saying that I have a backlog of listening to music going back years now.

Phil_A

I used to have the same problem with Midlake and Clearlake.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Phil_A on January 26, 2019, 01:10:15 AM
I used to have the same problem with Midlake and Clearlake.

I still have the same problem with Cut Copy and Coldcut.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: purlieu on January 25, 2019, 11:11:58 PM
Ok, so Deerhunter sound like a modern 4AD band (unsurprisingly).
Deerhoof are pretty good, though. I'll have to explore them further.

Deerhoof are better than "pretty good", dear chum. They're one of the best bands in the world. Go check out "Milk Man", "The Runners Four" and "Friend Opportunity" when you have the time. They're an absolute exploding joy, I love them to pieces.

Pauline Walnuts

I must admit I'd never heard of them, digging a little deeper I did find I had a copy of an early Atlas Sound LP, cuz it was on Kranky, and they made some great records, 20 years ago. They're still going, and theres some pretty good stuff on there, it's just the sound the same as the great records from 20 years ago. Only not as good. and I'm getting a little bored with the whole thing to be honest.

But before I digress,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2EuD9C8VbA

He supposed to be only 36? That wig ain't helping mate.

non capisco

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on January 26, 2019, 11:35:42 AM
He supposed to be only 36? That wig ain't helping mate.

He's 36. Marfan's syndrome possibly makes him look older than his years. That's his hair dyed black, mate.

Deerhunter are amazing, you dreary articles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlDZkZWGS1U

^ 'ahaha it is like what only a bald old 50 year old man would specifically like', no it clearly isn't you deaf pack of shitehawks, it's great. 'Ahaha imagine confusing Deerhoof with Deerhunter, one is good the other is rubbish ahahaha', no they're both good you stinking line of floundering half dead woodlice. I'll sodomise your mediocrity in a minute, pal. Shut up about it.

Crabwalk

Not sure about the new record, I have to say. Does seem a bit conservative.

Liked Fading Frontier a lot. Microcastle still their pinnacle.

purlieu

buttgammon

The new album hasn't really clicked with me yet (and sounds a bit rubbish on the first few plays, to be fair) but they've been one of my favourites for ages now. Microcastles, Halcyon Digest and Fading Frontier are particularly brilliant, and considerably better than whatever bollocks you naysayers listen to.

alan nagsworth

They're certainly a damn sight better than the other actually dreary crap of their contemporaries The National and Grizzly Bear, that's for sure.

non capisco

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 27, 2019, 06:52:48 PM
The National

I still think 'High Violet' is an amazing album. Their last one 'Sleep Well, Beast' or whatever it was called was dreadful, I grant you. Sounded like someone who doesn't like The National doing a derisory impression of The National. "It's just some bloke going muh muh muh in a deep voice over really boring music, innit?" Well, yeah, that album more or less is.

Sorry, Deerhunter non-fans for my wanky screed upthread. I'd had a trying day followed by a few ales and I thought ramping up my defensiveness for comic effect would be a bit of a wheeze but it just looks like I was pissing my pants about people not liking Deerhunter. I mean, you are all wrong but let's not fall out about it.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: non capisco on January 26, 2019, 10:44:06 PM
That's his hair dyed black, mate.

I'll have whatever he's having etc. etc.

Avril Lavigne

I've seen him wearing 3 or 4 wigs of differing colours, lengths and styles since Monomania came out and clearly switching back to his own hair under a hat in interviews & other non-performance situations, I doubt he's trying to fool anyone so much as just doing a kind of Cher thing.

Also

Quote from: Lyrics to Deerhunter's Back To The Middle
Look at me
My hair is falling out now

non capisco

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: non capisco on January 27, 2019, 08:44:25 PM
Yeah fair enough.

What do you think of the new album NC? I'm really loving some of the tracks but I don't think it's quite as good as the last one. Having said that, every album of theirs has had songs that took me months of casual listening to really fall in love with. Yesterday I couldn't stop listening to the 2nd half of Nocturne from the new one & kinda wish that had been the whole song as I think the decision to have Bradford's vocals constantly cutting out in the first half makes for quite an endurance test.

non capisco

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on January 27, 2019, 08:56:50 PM
What do you think of the new album NC? I'm really loving some of the tracks but I don't think it's quite as good as the last one.

It was an initial disappointment because I saw them play a lot of it during a fantastic show in Brighton last year and they made those songs sound like it was almost going to be a return to 'Cryptograms' era hypnotic wooziness, which the production on the album clearly isn't. 'No-One's Sleeping' which I think is hands down the best song on the newie sounded absolutely towering that night and the recorded version sounds a little diminished in comparison. That said the album as a whole has grown on me a lot during the week, I've had that loping chorus hook from 'Element' bubbling up in my head all the time. I'm 100% with you on the second half of 'Nocturne' and 'Futurism' is possibly the biggest earworm Bradford's written since 'Nosebleed', one of music's greatest b-sides. The lack of a huge Lockett penned song like 'Desire Lines' or 'Ad Astra' is a bit of a minus point.

The 'Microcastle/Weird Era' Deerhunter is the band that I fell in love and remain infatuated with and I should accept that they're possibly not going to do ten minute hypnotising epics like 'Calvary Scars II' or 'Octet' again. Their live shows during that period are some of the greatest I've ever seen. RIP Josh Fauver.

sweeper

They're great, and in this time where music made by genuine outsiders is on the wane, they should be cherished.

Whatever you think, this is a great bit of chereographed naughtiness: https://vimeo.com/257309971

Avril Lavigne

I'm with you on a lot of those points, I first heard Futurism through a live video on Youtube and thought it was amazing but when I got the album the production actually made me wonder if there was something up with my speakers (as happens from time to time) and I think a lot of the album would have benefitted from better production choices. No One's Sleeping is also a firm favourite for me though.
Have you heard Double Dream of Spring? It's the cassette-only album they released last year and I think it's closer to the Microcastle stuff you're talking about if a bit focused on instrumentals.

non capisco

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on January 27, 2019, 09:56:40 PM
Have you heard Double Dream of Spring? It's the cassette-only album they released last year and I think it's closer to the Microcastle stuff you're talking about if a bit focused on instrumentals.

Yeah, parts of Double Dream Of Spring are top. I think 'Dial's Metal Patterns' is a euphoric piece of music. I hope Bradford isn't now compartmentalising his more experimental side to hard-to-find cassette only releases though.

I also can't overstate what an amazing voice that lad has, he can vault the octaves in live performance. He kind of hid that talent under a bushel until I guess 'Halcyon Digest' with stuff like 'Helicopter'.

non capisco

'Death In Midsummer' has proved to be the biggest grower for me. Thought it was pretty good before, played it tons today and it's tipped into excellent. "There was no time to goooooooooooooooo BACK!!"