Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:27:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Britain's Most Mediocre Stand Ups

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, January 23, 2019, 09:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Erm....Top Grimly Feendish lokalike Dara O' Briain ? I mean, he's not actively *bad*, is he ?

Ed Byrne as well, I'd say.

And, being honest, Sean Hughes. Rik Mayall wasn't all that brilliant either when he was pretending to be a stand up comic, as long as we're being honest ( and we *are* in the business of honesty ) ( also know they're both dead ).

I rewatched every single episode of "Seinfeld" last year, and there were definitely moments when, during his stand-up rouine, he lapsed into averageness. That's bound to happen if you try to make a shrewd observation about absolutely everything in the fucking universe, though.
(Erm....I know Seinfeld's not British, soz.)

lankyguy95

Probably most of the acts nominated in the worst stand ups thread belong here.

petril

Jeff Green the flagbearer for this. The face of the Untucked Lime Green Shirt that was dull 90s stand up

Three-and-a-half hours into this thread's life, and no-one's mentioned Russell Howard?  Almost tempting to let him off for inspiring a couple of Stewart Lee pieces, though.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on January 23, 2019, 12:00:27 PM
Three-and-a-half hours into this thread's life, and no-one's mentioned Russell Howard?  Almost tempting to let him off for inspiring a couple of Stewart Lee pieces, though.

Most people on 'ere would rather call him shit than mediocre ?

EOLAN

I would go for the co-creator of the Mediocre awards; Richard Herring.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 23, 2019, 09:31:02 AM
And, being honest, Sean Hughes.

Shut your whore mouth.

I'd agree with the nomination of Richard Herring though. And Phil Wang would be my suggestion, he's not terrible, just very very average and I'm surprised so many rate him.

thenoise

The correct answer is Michael McIntyre.

c

I think most of us can agree that Mickey Flanagan is utterly mediocre.

AND YET!

After watching that Chubby Brown documentary on YouTube, my recommendations engine went haywire and started throwing up enormous beige flumes of mediocre comedy. One clip it threw up was thissun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRpryGzVXL0

I actually thought there was something about it. It was far odder than I was expecting - more angry and weird. My snob wall was lowered if only temporarily. I'd argue that his performance of the bit is actually pretty extraordinary (in fact, I'd say his performance is 93% of it).

petril

Junior Simpson, but unlike Jeff Green I remember him doing an "imagine a black guy in Formula One" routine. He's been well and truly shut up

DrGreggles

David O'Docherty.

I like him, and always think he's good value on podcasts/panel shows/etc.
So I've seen 4 or 5 of his shows (which I wanted to like) and none of them have been bad, but none have really been any good either.

Nowhere Man

90% of those comedians who end up doing panel shows all the time are thoroughly mediocre (obviously Bob Mortimer is most of the remaining 10%, and he's not even a stand up act!)

non capisco

Quote from: c on January 23, 2019, 08:49:20 PM
I think most of us can agree that Mickey Flanagan is utterly mediocre.

AND YET!

After watching that Chubby Brown documentary on YouTube, my recommendations engine went haywire and started throwing up enormous beige flumes of mediocre comedy. One clip it threw up was thissun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRpryGzVXL0

I actually thought there was something about it. It was far odder than I was expecting - more angry and weird. My snob wall was lowered if only temporarily. I'd argue that his performance of the bit is actually pretty extraordinary (in fact, I'd say his performance is 93% of it).

Yeah, I like that, that's a good idiosyncratic bit. Laughed a lot at the dad punching the fridge and screaming "THEY TASTE THE SAME AND THEY COST LESS, I'VE LET EVERYONE DAHHHHHN!". My sister swears by Micky Flanagan, maybe I should have listened to her and not snootily lumped him in with all the pablum she usually goes in for, such as going to see Justin Bieber for the sake of it and texting the WhatsApp 'Family group' about Home And Away as if it's The Sopranos.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: thenoise on January 23, 2019, 08:02:54 PM
The correct answer is Michael McIntyre.

This is the correct answer. So middle of the road you can't fault him.

Sebastian Cobb

I saw Dr Philip Hammond a while back. That was really mediocre.

Just quite half arsed. My mum used to nurse on one of his wards and said in her opinion that wasn't too dissimilar to his attitude to being a physician.