Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:19:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Artists you've always meant to give a listen but have never got round to

Started by Icehaven, January 23, 2019, 10:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

I have just dipped my toe into the world of Steely Dan via the double CD 'Showbiz Kids' compilation - prompted by watching (and loving) the 'Yacht Rock' series from a few years back.

Enjoying some parts of it thus far, may take a few weeks/months to decide whether I've got enough or want to dabble in the albums proper. But I'm getting on with far more than another such "meant to check out for 20 years" experiment that I did with Tindersticks.

Dr Trouser

Quote from: Gregory Torso on January 27, 2019, 08:35:51 PM
In On The Killtaker or Red Medicine for Fugazi.

I'd suggest starting with 'Fugazi' the first EP - don't listen to the 13 songs amalgamtion, then onto 'Repeater' then back to 'In on the killtaker'.  Wedge a listen to Soulside 'Soon Come happy' twixt Repeater and In on.. if you're feeling fruity.

Dr Trouser

I;d like to give ELO a good go but i;m not sure exactly where to start. And the same goes for Mastadon.

Crabwalk

For Mastodon, work backwards from Crack the Skye.

Cue Nags 3,2,1...

Crabwalk

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 27, 2019, 10:36:43 PM
But I'm getting on with far more than another such "meant to check out for 20 years" experiment that I did with Tindersticks.

Only one place to start with the 'Sticks: Second album.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Crabwalk on January 29, 2019, 04:22:37 PM
Only one place to start with the 'Sticks: Second album.
Yeah, I did, picked that one up and the one with the guy stroking the horse on the cover. Listened to both several times, just didn't work for me - it happens.

kngen

Quote from: Dr Trouser on January 29, 2019, 03:34:06 PM
I;d like to give ELO a good go but i;m not sure exactly where to start. And the same goes for Mastadon.

First LP. Leviathan if you really need to. That's it.

Quote from: Crabwalk on January 29, 2019, 04:20:13 PM
For Mastodon, work backwards from Crack the Skye.

Cue Nags 3,2,1...

Nah work your way back from the last album to the first. Or maybe start with Blood mountain and work your way backwards and forwards  until you reach either end.

Crabwalk

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 29, 2019, 04:36:24 PM
Yeah, I did, picked that one up and the one with the guy stroking the horse on the cover. Listened to both several times, just didn't work for me - it happens.

Should've ignored the horse album mate (it's a donkey anyway).

Rizla

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 24, 2019, 04:42:25 PM
i second this

These Foolish Things and Another Time, Another Place pretty much exactly sound like 'Stranded' era Roxy

Thirded. I went a week or two a few years back where I listened to nothing but this record, that was a good week.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Clownbaby on January 31, 2019, 09:30:03 AM
Ween

I'd suggest starting with Chocolate And Cheese and The Mollusk - full of great songs, quite accessible. 
The Pod and GodWeenSatan are big great, demented, lo-fi epics.
12 Golden Country Greats, if you like country music.

Sebastian Cobb

I've heard him playing with other bands and the excellent live lp he did with Buddy Miles but I've not heard much Santana stuff.

Crabwalk

^ I bought Caravan a couple of years back and was impressed, but not enough to venture further.

With Ween, I never got further than Chocolate and Cheese. Just thought they sounded like a pair of smirking cunts to be honest.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 01, 2019, 08:24:35 PM

With Ween, I never got further than Chocolate and Cheese. Just thought they sounded like a pair of smirking cunts to be honest.

Aw, they're just bezzie mates getting stoned and making music together who happen to be insanely talented. I don't think they're being ironic or sniggering at anything. Opinions may vary, of course.

grassbath

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 27, 2019, 10:36:43 PM
I have just dipped my toe into the world of Steely Dan via the double CD 'Showbiz Kids' compilation - prompted by watching (and loving) the 'Yacht Rock' series from a few years back.

Enjoying some parts of it thus far, may take a few weeks/months to decide whether I've got enough or want to dabble in the albums proper. But I'm getting on with far more than another such "meant to check out for 20 years" experiment that I did with Tindersticks.

Good comp, think it's fair to say that if you like most of the stuff on there then you won't have any trouble getting into the full albums.

I've never cracked Tindersticks either. Just leaves me totally cold. Some nice music but the spoken delivery is very offputting.

Re: Ween, I'd suggest The Mollusk as best gateway. There's still a lot of genre-hopping and a 'parodic' edge, but the lolrandomness is reined in. My second favourite has always been Quebec, which has this wonderful exhausted, resigned tone throughout, like they've grown up and there's sadness behind the smile.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Gregory Torso on February 01, 2019, 08:40:05 PM
Aw, they're just bezzie mates getting stoned and making music together who happen to be insanely talented. I don't think they're being ironic or sniggering at anything. Opinions may vary, of course.

Oh, I'm pretty sure I have them pegged wrong. Just angry I can't get into them when loads of people I know have good taste like them!

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: grassbath on February 01, 2019, 08:46:35 PM
Good comp, think it's fair to say that if you like most of the stuff on there then you won't have any trouble getting into the full albums.

I've never cracked Tindersticks either. Just leaves me totally cold. Some nice music but the spoken delivery is very offputting.
Yeah, I mean, I dig a bit of misery music as much as anyone - Joy Division were the band that got me into actually playing music - but Tindersticks just come across as... well, a bit silly, really.

I am digging the Dan a song at a time though, always growing on me and I suspect I'll pick up 'Aja' sometime soon. Funny that a comedy show should be the introduction, but then I think the people behind it did have a respect for the music.

Pauline Walnuts

One of these days I will actually listen to Post Fish Marillion. It's only been 30odd years I've been meaning to get around to it.