Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:55:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

US coup in Venezuela

Started by biggytitbo, January 23, 2019, 07:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Democracy has already determined that Maduro is the elected leader.

Dex Sawash

You cant elect your commie, they take power by force/subversion.

NoSleep

...or by the opposition throwing their toys out of the pram.

KennyMonster

Quote from: shh on February 02, 2019, 08:46:29 PM
All the EU is asking for is another vote, I thought such things were fairly popular round these parts? I suppose democracy becomes less of a priority when you're not personally affected.

Anyway, a propos of nothing in particular, Conrad at least partly based his Nostromo on Venezuela, as timely as ever.

........apropos........

biggytitbo

Massive anti coup protests in Venezuela go completly unreported in Western media whilst the twitter accounts of outlets like the economist and reuters are changed to include pro guaido propaganda.

ZoyzaSorris

'an unprecedented reality warping engine' indeed. Great phrase. Seems to be getting more insane and all-encompassing yet ludicrous as each desperate year goes on. Maybe we just notice it more due to increased access to alternate information (for now).

(Conversely the very fact we do have alternate info sources is probably what provokes the 'reality warping engine' to up the ante to such extraordinary levels, in order to drown them out).

The Culture Bunker

Isn't the Economist's Twitter thing like so because that's the current front cover?

JohnnyCouncil

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on February 03, 2019, 10:46:59 AM
'an unprecedented reality warping engine' indeed. Great phrase. Seems to be getting more insane and all-encompassing yet ludicrous as each desperate year goes on. Maybe we just notice it more due to increased access to alternate information (for now).

(Conversely the very fact we do have alternate info sources is probably what provokes the 'reality warping engine' to up the ante to such extraordinary levels, in order to drown them out).

Most people aren't looking though, besides even without the reality warp I'm not sure they'd care.

greenman

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on February 03, 2019, 10:46:59 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if your correct there, basically banking on the further you shift perception away from reality the more easily more honest sources can be written off as fake news.

biggytitbo

The US embassy in Egypt destroys irony -

shh

chveik

Quote from: KennyMonster on February 03, 2019, 09:19:24 AM
........apropos........

nope, à propos is correct (it's a French word).

Twed

Apropos. It's Latin. You ought to have a basic grasp of Latin if you're working in Currys.             

chveik

Quote from: Twed on February 03, 2019, 02:28:41 PM
Apropos. It's Latin. You ought to have a basic grasp of Latin if you're working in Currys.             

the Latin word is "ad propositum".

Twed

A bit like Tony Hayers. Susan, will you go out with me?

Paul Calf

'Apropos' is an English word and this is boring.

Principled non-interventionist Trump confirms that military action is an option for Venezuela.

https://www.rt.com/usa/450498-venezuela-us-troops-trump/

Paul Calf

Principled man of peace Trump sends 3750 US troops to the Mexican border.

https://www.rt.com/usa/450512-troops-border-mexico-pentagon/

Z

Can someone explain to me how this new guy is able to name himself president? I feel like I'm missing something huge and obvious that makes that aspect of this whole thing make sense.

Twed

Unchecked corruption boosted by Western might.

biggytitbo

He can't. He's not the president. He's never even stood for election.

NATO's war machine has created an alternative reality for us and if we don't go along with it we're 'Putin's useful idiots'.

jobotic

I don't go along with it but only Putin supporters are Putin's useful idiots.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Z on February 03, 2019, 09:14:19 PM
Can someone explain to me how this new guy is able to name himself president? I feel like I'm missing something huge and obvious that makes that aspect of this whole thing make sense.
He cant and it doesn't make sense.

Hence the reality distortion engine being employed in an ever more surreally ludicrous fashion.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Z on February 03, 2019, 09:14:19 PM
From what I remember the Constitution allows the leader of the 'House' Guaido to assume the role of the President in Constitutional emergencies. In this case Maduro was talking about replacing one-for-one voting with representative voting. That is each segment of society such as pensioners, poor, indigenous etc would get a percentage of representatives proportional to that in reality. Obviously that would suit Maduro.

So the opposition has real concerns but would it really be possible and how far would Maduro go? Guaido has reached for the emergency brake first instead of other options.

bgmnts

I'm president of Venezuela.

Twed

Haha, of course it's Corbyn's fault!

bgmnts

Is that Corbyn in one of his disguises?

Pdine

Quote from: chveik on February 03, 2019, 02:53:31 PM
the Latin word is "ad propositum".

It's actually a reference to Monsieur Alex Propos, a landscape gardener from Martinique whose lawn designs are famous for their relevance.

ZoyzaSorris

Good interview with a lecturer in latin american studies on Sky, no doubt they won't be inviting him on again. (discovered via Skwawkbox).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDP95fjWO3k