Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 03:04:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

US coup in Venezuela

Started by biggytitbo, January 23, 2019, 07:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Jeremy Hunt officially recognise Juan Guaido as Venezuelan Interim President.

Absolutely meeeental.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Urinal Cake on February 04, 2019, 12:01:10 AM
From what I remember the Constitution allows the leader of the 'House' Guaido to assume the role of the President in Constitutional emergencies. In this case Maduro was talking about replacing one-for-one voting with representative voting. That is each segment of society such as pensioners, poor, indigenous etc would get a percentage of representatives proportional to that in reality. Obviously that would suit Maduro.

So the opposition has real concerns but would it really be possible and how far would Maduro go? Guaido has reached for the emergency brake first instead of other options.

No. The Constitution says that in case of the President not being available for duties (due to very specific circumstances like death), firstly the Vice-President can take over, or in the exceptional case the Vice-President is rendered unable then and only then does it pass to the head of the National Assembly. And this is all decided by the Supreme Court (who have said that Guaido is talking shit). Obviously there is no vacancy, we have a president, so the whole thing is nonsense.

ZoyzaSorris

My hope is that like in Syria, provided Venezuela holds tight this massive Imperial overreach will actually leave the US weaker in the region. If Venezuela fully migrates out of the grasp of the US financial system and into the parallel structures being developed by Russia, China and Iran to evade US economic warfare, then it has a good chance to rebuild using its rich natural resources. Obviously I hope this all happens without a Syria style proxy war.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

More depressingly skewed coverage today.

Simon Jenkins managed to outright lie that Venezuela was peaceful and prosperous before Chavez. Extraordinary lieing that he knows his readers won't call him out on.

Managed to describe the Labour Party as "useful idiot Leninists" of course.

However he argues against US intervention.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 04, 2019, 01:31:53 PM
More depressingly skewed coverage today.

Simon Jenkins managed to outright lie that Venezuela was peaceful and prosperous before Chavez. Extraordinary lieing that he knows his readers won't call him out on.

Managed to describe the Labour Party as "useful idiot Leninists" of course.

However he argues against US intervention.

Simon Jenkins, friend of the 'useless clever Stalinists'.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on February 04, 2019, 11:32:29 AM
No. The Constitution says that in case of the President not being available for duties (due to very specific circumstances like death), firstly the Vice-President can take over, or in the exceptional case the Vice-President is rendered unable then and only then does it pass to the head of the National Assembly. And this is all decided by the Supreme Court (who have said that Guaido is talking shit). Obviously there is no vacancy, we have a president, so the whole thing is nonsense.
The other circumstance is 'abandonment of duty'. If he becomes a dictator that would be seen as a vacation of his post as elected President as per the Constitution.  Like I said  before Guaido with a push from the USA has gone to the last resort from the start which makes this look ridiculous.

ZoyzaSorris

I think you are really reaching there and you know it. Basically there is no sensible interpretation in which the constitution says anything vaguely approaching what Guaido is claiming. The clause is there to explain what to do if there is no president. There is a president.

Urinal Cake

I do not know enough about the Venezuelan Constitution to come up with whose interpretation would be correct. Further if Guaido does become President it could be retroactively the 'correct' interpretation.

ZoyzaSorris

You seem to be being strangely obtuse on this thread. Deliberate or genuine ignorance?

biggytitbo

The predictable social media purge just to make sure the msm can have a total lock on the propaganda, just like the good old days https://venezuelanalysis.com/news/14294

Urinal Cake

It's neither. I have enough knowledge of law that I can admit I don't know Spanish and I don't know the intricacies of Venezuelan Civil/Continental Law as opposed to Common Law.

shh

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on February 04, 2019, 11:36:16 AM
My hope is that like in Syria, provided Venezuela holds tight this massive Imperial overreach will actually leave the US weaker in the region. If Venezuela fully migrates out of the grasp of the US financial system and into the parallel structures being developed by Russia, China and Iran to evade US economic warfare, then it has a good chance to rebuild using its rich natural resources. Obviously I hope this all happens without a Syria style proxy war.

You missed out N. Korea from the list of Maduro's well wishers.

Anyway I'm sure all of those countries reciprocate your good wishes.

biggytitbo

The UK have got a bit of a nerve demanding another country hold new elections then recognise some bloke who walked in off the street as its new president, when it can barely function as a democracy itself as the likes of Hunt do their best to reverse an electoral result they don't like.

Crisps?

It's a bit of a shame that Venezuela doesn't announce it's recognising Hillary as president of the USA. Trump would explode and Hillaryites, under the pressure of agreeing but having to deny it, would implode

jobotic

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 05, 2019, 09:07:33 AM
The UK have got a bit of a nerve demanding another country hold new elections then recognise some bloke who walked in off the street as its new president, when it can barely function as a democracy itself as the likes of Hunt do their best to reverse an electoral result they don't like.

Bravo.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: pcsjwgm on February 05, 2019, 08:42:29 AM
Excellent work from Chris Williamson:
https://www.channel4.com/news/labour-mp-chris-williamson-governments-decision-to-recognise-juan-guaido-is-a-democratic-outrage

Thanks for the link, excellent work from Mr Williamson here, Jon Snow has never been lower in my estimations, what a raging granule of a man (used to think he was vaguely decent).

Thank god for the likes of Chris.

greenman

Quote from: pcsjwgm on February 05, 2019, 08:42:29 AM
Excellent work from Chris Williamson:
https://www.channel4.com/news/labour-mp-chris-williamson-governments-decision-to-recognise-juan-guaido-is-a-democratic-outrage

That's Snow and C4 news colours nailed to the mast pretty clearly as well, the former especially could really be a posterboy for centralism as a moral vacuum.

biggytitbo

It was an absolutely disgraceful interview, but totally par for the course for pretty much all msm coverage.

biggytitbo

Very good from medialens - http://www.medialens.org/index.php/alerts/alert-archive/2019/892-venezuela-blitz-part-1-tyrants-don-t-have-free-elections.html

QuoteIn our new book, we describe a 'Propaganda Blitz' as a fast-moving campaign to persuade the public of the need for 'action' or 'intervention' furthering elite interests. Affecting great moral outrage, corporate media line up to insist that a watershed moment has arrived – something must be done!

A classic propaganda blitz was triggered on January 23, when Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaidó declared himself 'interim President'. This was presented as dramatic new evidence that the people of Venezuela had finally had enough of Nicolas Maduro's 'regime'.

QuoteEchoing the BBC's 'amnesty' front page story, the Guardian's Simon Tisdall, also talked up the merits of the coup:

'It seems clear that Juan Guaidó, the opposition leader, has the backing of many if not most Venezuelans.'

A remarkable claim, given that George Ciccariello-Maher reported in The Nation that an opinion poll in Venezuela conducted between January 7-16 had found that 81 per cent of Venezuelans had never heard of Juan Guaidó

NoSleep

In many respects our press are already reporting UK news in the same way as they report on Venezuela. The big difference is that it's Corbyn getting it in the neck, not May. And it will be worse if Corbyn becomes prime minister.

ZoyzaSorris

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: NoSleep on February 06, 2019, 09:28:37 AM
In many respects our press are already reporting UK news in the same way as they report on Venezuela. The big difference is that it's Corbyn is getting it in the neck, not May. And it will be worse if Corbyn becomes prime minister.

But of course this is also true. The propaganda war's primary target will always be domestic opposition.

Hank Venture

Just saw a clip of Pompeo saying Hezbollah is active in Venezuela. It's just ... farce.

Blumf

Presume they dug some terror tunnels all the way from Gaza

Hank Venture

It's really astonishing just how paper-thin the US concern for human roghts can be before the world at large just gets in line behind their «humanitarian» interventions. «Hezbollah in Venezuela? Yeah, that'll do.»

Flouncer

Yeah, I suppose they're harboring Spring-heeled Jack as well.