Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:48:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scottish Comedy

Started by Bronzy, January 24, 2019, 03:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bronzy

It's a bit shit, innit?

I was trying to think of actually funny Scottish sketch shows and sitcoms of the last 10 years and all I can come up with is Limmy's Show.

Any others?

Mobius

First few series of Still Game

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Mobius on January 24, 2019, 03:34:24 AM
First few series of Still Game

Quote from: Bronzy on January 24, 2019, 03:07:14 AM
I was trying to think of actually funny Scottish sketch shows and sitcoms of the last 10 years

Pay attention! Still Game was at its peak prior to 2009.

Mobius

studpuppet

Burnsitoun, Burnistoun, and Burnistoun.

MojoJojo

Gary Tank Commander just about fits into that range, and was supposed to be good.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 24, 2019, 07:46:13 AM
Chewin' The Fat

MUCH older than ten years.

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 24, 2019, 07:49:19 AM
Gary Tank Commander just about fits into that range, and was supposed to be good.

I thought it was dull and didn't bother after the first series, but I know a lot of people liked it.  Can't remember what the general CaB opinion was, or if there even was one.

Malcy

The main problem is that BBC Scotland up until very recently didn't really give a shit about comedy unless it was Still Game.

There's been a few pilots and one offs produced but really very little and nothing worth commissioning. One sketch show was fucking awful. One of the most unfunny things I've ever seen.

There has been a lot put up the on the iPlayer in the past year. Sketches, stand ups, mini pilots etc. With the demise of Still Game this year finally it seems they are up for doing other things.

There's a new Burnistoun on the way, Two Doors Down is on its 4th series and the new BBC Scotland channel is set to have a few new comedies airing on it including a full series for 'The State Of It' by Rab Florence from Burnistoun and a whole host of new talent.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5169/guilt_on_bbc_scotland/

There hasn't been much in 10 years really. Still Game is pissing on its legacy with very new utter shite series they do so glad it's fucking off and they can use the money for something else.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Lordofthefiles

David Kay is a great stand up. There isn't much of his stuff ont net but he tours fairly regularly.

http://www.david-kay.com

Malcy

Can't forget Scot Squad either. New series of that coming soon as well. Did anyone watch Mountain Goats? I watched the pilot but not the series.

Bronzy

It's also struck me how little budget most Scottish Comedy programmes have, most of them look like they were made for about 50 quid.

Always going to be difficult making something funny from the very beginning when you have so little money to be creative.

Malcy

Quote from: Bronzy on January 24, 2019, 02:02:48 PM
It's also struck me how little budget most Scottish Comedy programmes have, most of them look like they were made for about 50 quid.

Always going to be difficult making something funny from the very beginning when you have so little money to be creative.

I don't know. Comedy can be funny without a budget. Look at Limmy's Show. The Homemade Show was done very cheaply and was really good. The first series was also brilliant on a low budget. I found the odd CGI stuff in the second series ruined it a bit. Maybe a better budget was a hindrance there.

Bronzy

Quote from: Malcy on January 24, 2019, 03:42:29 PM
I don't know. Comedy can be funny without a budget. Look at Limmy's Show. The Homemade Show was done very cheaply and was really good. The first series was also brilliant on a low budget. I found the odd CGI stuff in the second series ruined it a bit. Maybe a better budget was a hindrance there.

I don't think it's impossible for comedy to be great without the need for a bigger budget, Limmy's Homemade Show being a perfect example. It certainly can help though, even to a smaller extent. I thought the CGI fitted in quite well with Limmy's more silly and surreal stuff, though that may be partly due to my own affection for hilariously bad CGI.

Another thing I've noticed is that there seems to be a very small amount of people creating different shows up here, I'm struggling to think of anyone new that's popped up in the past 5 or 6 years. Surely there is new talent out there, perhaps it's just a case of BBC Scotland (and others) not willing to take risks?

Malcy

Quote from: Bronzy on January 24, 2019, 05:32:02 PM
I don't think it's impossible for comedy to be great without the need for a bigger budget, Limmy's Homemade Show being a perfect example. It certainly can help though, even to a smaller extent. I thought the CGI fitted in quite well with Limmy's more silly and surreal stuff, though that may be partly due to my own affection for hilariously bad CGI.

Another thing I've noticed is that there seems to be a very small amount of people creating different shows up here, I'm struggling to think of anyone new that's popped up in the past 5 or 6 years. Surely there is new talent out there, perhaps it's just a case of BBC Scotland (and others) not willing to take risks?

The iPlayer has stuff from all new faces a few times a year. One called The Farm up now which is ok. 3 5 minute shorts. They also have The Social which features unknowns and Rab Florence's State Of It had unknown people in it.

I think recently and going forward they've been convinced to pump a bit of money into comedy. Hopefully it continues.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 24, 2019, 07:49:19 AM

Wasn't good.

Sebastian Cobb

I thought the paucity recent Scottish comedy was because BBC Scotland blew their budget on Mrs Brown's Boys. Hopefully the new channel will force their hand a bit.

Then again I can barely remember when STV last attempted to do a comedy, High Times (bit of a Fifteen Storeys High copycat)?

Malcy

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 26, 2019, 02:14:25 PM
I thought the paucity recent Scottish comedy was because BBC Scotland blew their budget on Mrs Brown's Boys. Hopefully the new channel will force their hand a bit.

Then again I can barely remember when STV last attempted to do a comedy, High Times (bit of a Fifteen Storeys High copycat)?

Think that was the last one yeah. The new channel has a £23m budget I think. There may be additional but I can't remember. 50% repeats and 50% new stuff.

I hope those repeats include old comedies. A lot of them are available but it would be good to see City Lights in a hopefully decent quality. Scotch & Wry, Chewing The Fat, Rab C. There's loads they could show.

Glebe

Absolutely is one of my favourite comedy things ever, brought great joy to my adolescent years.

Malcy

Quote from: Glebe on January 29, 2019, 01:51:57 PM
Absolutely is one of my favourite comedy things ever, brought great joy to my adolescent years.

3rd series of the radio show coming this year. Jack Docherty is doing McGlashan at his live show in March as well. Saw him last year and I was the only one who cheered when he came out. I think the rest of the audience only knew his Scot Squad character.

Glebe

Quote from: Malcy on January 29, 2019, 02:14:42 PM
3rd series of the radio show coming this year. Jack Docherty is doing McGlashan at his live show in March as well. Saw him last year and I was the only one who cheered when he came out. I think the rest of the audience only knew his Scot Squad character.

*thumbs up*