Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,393
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:30:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP David Cavanagh

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, January 24, 2019, 09:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Music journalist who wrote many an interview and article for the likes of "Q" , "Select " and latterly, "Mojo"who also wrote that top book about Creation records called "My Magpie Eyes Are Hungry For The Prize ", and that book about John Peel's radio shows entitled " Good Night, and Good Riddance."
He actually passed away on December 28th last year, but the first I heard of it was last night, when I was perusing the Fall Online forum, wherein he was formerly a regular and witty poster (under a pseudonym). Very surprised that there wasnae a thread on  it on here, unless I missed it (I was a little....erm....preoccupied over the Chrimbo period).
Anyway, was a fan of his writing, I remember really enjoying the last thing of his I read (an interview with an ageing  Ian McCulloch from a copy of "Mojo" last year, presented yer man the former scouse gobshite McCulloch as quite a wistful and melancholy figure, intriguing bit of writing, so it was ), and now I am saddened that he is gone.
I thought it appropriate to pay my respects in this thread, on this forum.

ajsmith2

Magpie Eyes is fantastic, one of the best music books ever; such a sprawling epic of the sublime and ridiculous of 80s independent struggle and 90s glory and excess with a wonderfully rich cast, all observed with a wicked wit and keen eye for dramatic irony.

wosl

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 24, 2019, 09:24:01 AMI remember really enjoying the last thing of his I read (an interview with an ageing  Ian McCulloch from a copy of "Mojo" last year, presented yer man the former scouse gobshite McCulloch as quite a wistful and melancholy figure, intriguing bit of writing, so it was )

Ah, so that was by Cavanagh.  As you say, a really good and slightly unsettling piece.  I must've read lots of his articles without it really registering that they were by him, since he wasn't an overt stylist and tended to get himself out of the road while telling a story (take note, Cam Cobb).  Had a couple of read-throughs of 'Magpie Eyes years ago, and still strongly remember enjoying the Lawrence and MBV bits especially.  Sad news.

The Culture Bunker

Can only echo the "...Magpie Eyes" love. The details of the Guy Chadwick's descent into madness were brilliant, same as the description of a coked-up-to-the-tits McGee holed up in some fancy hotel taking visits from record companies, all offering ever-growing sums for the House of Love's signature.

Pranet

Brundle-Fly

He was an excellent writer. You'd enjoy reading his pieces/ interviews without even heard of or liking the artist being discussed. R.I.P.

I know a lot of Cabbers can't stand the band but DC also was a great champion of Blur when everybody had given up on them.

https://www.uncut.co.uk/reviews/album/blur-21-the-box

holyzombiejesus

I really liked Magpies Eyes and thought that McGee slagging it off showed him up for the cunt he'd become. Judging by the online eulogies, DC sounded like a really nice man.