Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:00:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Weezer are now full time adoration junkies

Started by Twed, January 24, 2019, 02:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

https://twitter.com/Weezer/status/1088303079408033792

QuoteTracklist:

Africa
Everybody Wants To Rule The World
Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)
Take On Me
Happy Together
Paranoid
Mr. Blue Sky
No Scrubs
Billie Jean
Stand by Me

"Covering Africa for internet points made us really popular, let's just do that more"

Good for them I suppose, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about this.

Really bad. You know when a song isn't available on Spotify and there's a sort-of similar authorized cover by session musicians the cheapest softsynths with stock instruments in its place? It's an entire album of this. They've tried to make the songs sound the same, except with Weezer singing and playing the instruments.

popcorn

It's atrocious, surprise surprise. More than anything I'm amazed by the shitness of the production. Did they really not care to make this sound... good? I mean, like, the sounds are awful. The sounds.

SteveDave

Rivers Cuomo must be just waiting for that knock on the door #cancelled2019

Sebastian Cobb

I can't help but file any information about 'what Weezer are up to these days' under 'cruft'.

Twed

Quote from: popcorn on January 24, 2019, 02:52:07 PM
It's atrocious, surprise surprise. More than anything I'm amazed by the shitness of the production. Did they really not care to make this sound... good? I mean, like, the sounds are awful. The sounds.
I heard better .mids of most these songs in 1998.

Twed

Quote from: popcorn on January 24, 2019, 02:52:07 PM
Worse than you'd expect, aren't they? Home keyboard stuff.

Damon Albarn released an album of him fucking about on an iPad in hotel rooms for a month and it sounded more professional than this.

Nowhere Man

Why the fuck did they bother trying to make good albums again with 'Everything's Alright In The End' and the 'Weezer White Album' a couple of years ago if they were just going to go back immediately to making complete shit again. I just don't understand River's creative thought process tbh

alan nagsworth

No offence to the rest of you in this thread, but I'm often more baffled by the fact that anyone even remotely gives a fuck about Weezer any more. A complete and utter mess of a band that seem to be glared at with scrutiny by die-hard Pinkerton fans and clueless news anchors alike. Literally everyone in the world should know better. They are a speck of nothing, a complete dog egg of a band with two excellent albums and then twenty years of complete crap following.

Twed

Just enjoying the catharsis of hating on something shit, TBH.

Beagle 2

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 24, 2019, 07:24:34 PM
No offence to the rest of you in this thread, but I'm often more baffled by the fact that anyone even remotely gives a fuck about Weezer any more. A complete and utter mess of a band that seem to be glared at with scrutiny by die-hard Pinkerton fans and clueless news anchors alike. Literally everyone in the world should know better. They are a speck of nothing, a complete dog egg of a band with two excellent albums and then twenty years of complete crap following.

HOW DARE YOU. Two and a half excellent albums, then, Jesus fuck.

easytarget

Everything Will Be Alright in The End (2014) is pretty good (in fact a couple of songs are great)
The White Album (2016) has two good songs (Do You Wanna Get High? and Summer Elaine and Drunk Dori)

Also Dope Nose off Maladriot (2002) is alright.

This, though, is fucking awful.

ajsmith2

I'm no expert, but is it generally thought amongst Weezer enthusiasts that at some point they changed from being a sincere musical group to being a kind of conceptual postmodern prank? Cos that's what a lot of their activity over the last decade or so looks like to me.

I was talking to a younger (but not that young, 28) friend of mine who's a Weezer fan the other day about this, and he was of the opinion that Weezer are one of the few guitar rock bands who have any currency with teens and people in their early 20s these days, and in fact they are a lot of young peoples token guitar act favourite in musical diets otherwise based around hiphop and DJs. He thought they'd managed to pull this off by 'becoming a meme' and thus speaking the language of young folks. With this in mind, I wonder if an otherwise pointless karaoke effort like this is in some way an attempt by Rivers and Co to educate this younger audience in the 'canon' of various hoary classic rock anthems that they wouldn't otherwise be getting exposed to?

JesusAndYourBush

Looking at that tracklist they're presumably hoping their music will be used by a TV commercial.  Fair enough I guess, make money where you can, what with the music business being in the state it's in etc...

Although they wasted their time recording Everybody Wants To Rule The World  because that's already been done by a girl who sounds like she has a bit of old rag stuffed in  her gob.  I've not heard that ad for a while thankfully.

up_the_hampipe

This is very corny but I'm not mad about it. It's Weezer.

madhair60

Nowhere Man

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 25, 2019, 11:31:02 AM
Looking at that tracklist they're presumably hoping their music will be used by a TV commercial.  Fair enough I guess, make money where you can, what with the music business being in the state it's in etc...

Although they wasted their time recording Everybody Wants To Rule The World  because that's already been done by a girl who sounds like she has a bit of old rag stuffed in  her gob.  I've not heard that ad for a while thankfully.

Tears For Fears of course is used to it's music being bastardised through shit covers though. Mad World anyone?

Icehaven

Quote from: Nowhere Man on January 25, 2019, 12:23:50 PM
Tears For Fears of course is used to it's music being bastardised through shit covers though. Mad World anyone?

I might be wrong about this but wasn't it that that pretty much kick started the whole breathy-slowed-down-minimalist-cover-version genre so beloved by adverts? Burn Jules, burn.

kngen

I dunno, I think Paranoid is crying out for a makeover by a peppy, upbeat band to put a new spin on it. I mean, it's been 40-odd years since The Dickies did their version.

QDRPHNC

My personal Weezer theory is that Rivers Cuomo dropped the irony and put himself out there on Pinkerton, got the shit kicked out of him, and never got over it.

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 25, 2019, 11:31:02 AM

Tears For Fears now come out on stage to that godawful cover at the start of their gigs now. Luckily they cleanse your palate by launching straight into the real thing.

Quote from: ajsmith2 on January 25, 2019, 09:23:40 AM
I wonder if an otherwise pointless karaoke effort like this is in some way an attempt by Rivers and Co to educate this younger audience in the 'canon' of various hoary classic rock anthems that they wouldn't otherwise be getting exposed to?

The bulk of these songs are more like already-hoary old internet memes than rock classics by now. It's a wonder Never Gonna Give You Up isn't on there.

sevendaughters

Ted Leo already did the definitive cover of Everybody Wants To Rule The Etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0jPsaJNGPw

Twed

Quote from: bim sherman shirts on January 25, 2019, 06:41:24 PM
The bulk of these songs are more like already-hoary old internet memes than rock classics by now. It's a wonder Never Gonna Give You Up isn't on there.
Christ, what if it's on there but not listed because RICK ROLL

popcorn

Quote from: QDRPHNC on January 25, 2019, 03:43:10 PM
My personal Weezer theory is that Rivers Cuomo dropped the irony and put himself out there on Pinkerton, got the shit kicked out of him, and never got over it.

I think this is well established, isn't it?

It's part of the mythos. At this point if Weezer made a great record again it would retroactively damage Pinkerton.

DrGreggles

Rivers did write the rather wonderful 'She Makes Me Laugh' for the last Monkees album, so he's alright by me.

BlodwynPig

Rocket Surgery

As if Rivers Cuomo is a real person's name.

DrGreggles