Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:59:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How a viral nowtrage left everyone looking like a dick.

Started by biggytitbo, January 24, 2019, 05:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

I'm sure there were some very fine people on both sides.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 24, 2019, 06:33:36 PM
You know when the little girl was killed off at the beginning of ALIEN³, were the subsequent feelings of annoyance a Newtrage?

Important to mention that film is far better than Aliens

Quote from: Buelligan on January 24, 2019, 10:08:13 PM
I'm sure there were some very fine people on both sides.

that is, in a way, the real story. The media's clamour and enthusiasm for 'both sides-ism', a way of absolving themselves of the moral responsibility of making a judgement on political matters by choosing not to distinguish between anything. everything means the same thing, everyone is acting in good faith, nothing can be known. the most rational, reasonable position is never to draw any real conclusions about anything. even self-professed sceptics of the 'msm' fall for this

the media will always revert to this, especially when they fear pushback, which is what happened here. if they can find a way to equivocate, they'll do it. And this is a practice that always serves the powerful

biggytitbo

The real story is the opposite of both sidesism, it's the media pressing a simplistic narrative, with the good guy and the bad guy biases of whatever the outlet is,  onto what was actually a messy and complicated situation. Because clickbait outrage journalism and massaging the prejudices of your audience is more important than the dull and often slow job of properly finding out what happened and reporting it honestly.

What they reported in the first place was correct in essence, only fuckwits bought into the 'both sides' revisionism (in part a bought and paid for PR job by the parents of the MAGA teen). And that included the media, more concerned about looking reasonable than being right

Worth noting again that apparently we're critiquing the mainstream media by fully buying into something written in The Atlantic

Gee, it's almost as if...

Mister Six

The MAGA kids were being arseholes with their tomahawk chops and (earlier) rape jokes and hooting at women. That the black fellas were also being arseholes with their racist comments is neither here nor there.

And yeah, wispy old bloke was being a bit of a tit too, banging his drum in the lad's face.

But the MAGA kids were arses.

Quote from: Mister Six on January 24, 2019, 11:05:40 PM
And yeah, wispy old bloke was being a bit of a tit too, banging his drum in the lad's face.

The Native American approaches the crowd, but the MAGA teen approaches him, and gets in his face. This is extremely clear in the footage

Sin Agog

Admittedly I've never been the type to keep abreast of the news, but why are events like this, which would have been buried at best in The Scunthorpe Echo, now big talking points?  I guess they're analogs for the larger political picture or something like that, but I just can't get worked up over something some kids did somewhere when the motherfunking world's dying!

gib

Is it ok to dislike all the americans involved in this?

Buelligan

I thought it was horrible and I wondered what the people who brought these kids to a place where lots of different groups would normally be and some demonstrations and similar might be taking place, what the fuck they were doing, leaving these kids apparently unsupervised.  It was vile and the smirking lad was lucky he didn't try his luck with the black islam dudes or whatever they are called.  It was an ugly thing to see.

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 24, 2019, 11:18:57 PM
Admittedly I've never been the type to keep abreast of the news, but why are events like this, which would have been buried at best in The Scunthorpe Echo, now big talking points?  I guess they're analogs for the larger political picture or something.

Because culture war shit is the currency now. This nonsense becomes the fucking Zapruder film for dummies because everybody's clamouring for symbolism over substance

Edit: you got it in the last line

Mr_Simnock

Is it just me or does both Biggy and monsieur both posit that the media has been shite at covering this 'story' while apparently arguing against each others position? I duns know anyway...

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on January 25, 2019, 12:00:00 AM
Is it just me or does both Biggy and monsieur both posit that the media has been shite at covering this 'story' while apparently arguing against each others position? I duns know anyway...

from different angles tho, that much is obvious to anyone with basic reading comprehension. being reductive helps nothing and nobody

chveik

Quote from: gib on January 24, 2019, 11:20:13 PM
Is it ok to dislike all the americans involved in this?

it's the only sane thing to do

gib

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on January 25, 2019, 12:00:00 AM

same take here, interesting times

gib

Quote from: chveik on January 25, 2019, 12:30:12 AM
it's the only sane thing to do

I quite liked the way the black hebrew chappies tried to include the indians by saying 'gad' because that made them another tribe of israel or something but nevertheles they are indeed all absolutely bananas, on many sides.

you haven't lived until you've been to a big city and had a Black Israelite call you a 'white devil' while you're walking down the street

McFlymo

Quote from: bgmnts on January 24, 2019, 06:02:31 PM
One of the most confusing set of sentences I've read this year.

Yes! I was very confused by this also.

So a bunch of people were being antagonistic towards each other. Seems like that is a popular place for a variety of political and religious views to congregate and clash. The main point of the article was that it was pretty shit that the NYT reported on the story without proper journalistic integrity, which I think is a fair point to raise!

wooders1978

As I said earlier is maybe they were all at fault but one group were adults and the other were kids who had the baying mob set upon them by the MSM for wearing maga hats, whilst the adults got to play victim

biggytitbo

I completly agree that this incident should never have even been a story, but that's social media and clickbait journalism's endless appetite for outrage stories to hitch their hot takes on. What's significant about it for me is that it's the respectable, mainstream news outlets doing the clickbait outrage and fake news, and it's respectable mainstream commentators issuing the death threats and vicious, ramped up rhetoric on social media.

The msm have totally lost their mind, and their credibility has gone with it.

biggytitbo

Quote from: wooders1978 on January 25, 2019, 07:15:38 AM
As I said earlier is maybe they were all at fault but one group were adults and the other were kids who had the baying mob set upon them by the MSM for wearing maga hats, whilst the adults got to play victim

It's not some edgelord on a forum, it's a grown up man who works as a producer at Disney

Pingers

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 25, 2019, 07:20:57 AM

The msm have totally lost their mind, and their credibility has gone with it.

Could we all just agree on this bit now and avoid the "need" for another 50 threads on the same topic then?

Buelligan

Quote from: wooders1978 on January 25, 2019, 07:15:38 AM

They deserve it for wearing MAGA hats.  If they're kids, their parents need talking to.  Children dressed up in politically aggressive logos and left in public alone will find trouble, any dumb fuck knows this.  Once again, the adults, teachers, parents, whoever, connected with and responsible for these kids, failed gravely.

If they're not children, they get the right to select their own public attire and carry the can for it.  Any cunt that wears a MAGA hat is looking for an argument.

biggytitbo

phantom_power

Quote from: Buelligan on January 25, 2019, 08:08:33 AM
They deserve it for wearing MAGA hats.  If they're kids, their parents need talking to.  Children dressed up in politically aggressive logos and left in public alone will find trouble, any dumb fuck knows this.  Once again, the adults, teachers, parents, whoever, connected with and responsible for these kids, failed gravely.

If they're not children, they get the right to select their own public attire and carry the can for it.  Any cunt that wears a MAGA hat is looking for an argument.

They were at a pro-life rally weren't they? And come from a school not known for its diversity and inclusion

Obviously it is telling that although there are "fine people on all sides" as you say, only one set got invited to the White House