Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,478
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:46:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How a viral nowtrage left everyone looking like a dick.

Started by biggytitbo, January 24, 2019, 05:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

The writer of he Atlantic piece was probably in there cribbing your best stuff considering you had it all figured out first.

Paul Calf

Goldentony

why find my kids
they buck up an' a leave me
darling cheese head
I was a yards too greasy
oh, oh
black israelites

dex

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 25, 2019, 12:10:40 PM
for society, for the concept of holding the powerful to account, do you not think that this kind of dogshit journalism and deliberate misinformation contributes significantly to the world's recent structural failures? and if indeed people have the autonomy to resist this guff, why aren't they using it? why do the cunts in charge of the world seem to get slowly more evil all the time? do you not think that it might be because the powerful are always equivocated for, so everybody gets misinformed about the level of threat?

Geez. I was just trying to move the discussion on with my point. There was no need to bite my head off.

I agree with you that this piece was complete guff (I wasn't defending it) and that the powerful are often sheltered from the proper criticism they deserve. The media should be a thorn in their side if they are behaving badly.

But I maintain my point that it starts with the reader. Then its up to them if they want to start doing something about it or just think this is bollocks I'll avoid reading from this sort of source in future.

and i would maintain that that has proved to be somewhat of an imperfect system. formation of consensus seems to be engineered, and out of the hands of readers. even if they don't read the source, the prevailing narrative still exists. and this determines world events, regardless of what you choose to read over your cornflakes

Paul Calf

Yes. The individual is powerless to effect change in a world dominated by powerful collectives.

dex

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 26, 2019, 09:59:45 AM
Yes. The individual is powerless to effect change in a world dominated by powerful collectives.

But when individuals thinking along the same lines start networking and getting together, working together without bitching at each other that's when these powerful collectives start getting pushback.

garnish

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 25, 2019, 04:36:23 PM
The writer of he Atlantic piece was probably in there cribbing your best stuff considering you had it all figured out first.

Fucking hell how is this guy still pushing the mainstream narrative

dex

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 26, 2019, 11:16:17 AM
why do you think that hasn't happened yet

In a word, cowardice. People not willing to put in the work, make the sacrifices, waiting around for others to take the initiative or procrastinating to "pick their moment". It might sound harsh but that's my 2 cents worth.

I'll sign off with a question and ask you whether you think yours and Paul Calf's points (unless PC was being sarcastic) contribute to the homeostasis of the power structures rule?

Buelligan

I'll sign on with a question.  If the power structures are in homeostasis, how does one go about unbalancing that equilibrium? Is it

• Timothy McVeigh
  • Pink pussy hat
  • Other (please be specific)
  • Don't know
You may only select one option.

Quote from: dex on January 28, 2019, 04:22:00 PM
I'll sign off with a question and ask you whether you think yours and Paul Calf's points (unless PC was being sarcastic) contribute to the homeostasis of the power structures rule?

No, I think they're an initial step towards the erosion of it. I'd be interested in how you think that collective and uniform cowardice arises, but that might be going too deep. To gesture vaguely towards human fallibility is an easy get out, there's larger forces at work here, and we need to be surgically precise about what they are if we're going to get anywhere.

chveik

Hey pig there's a lot of things I hoped you could help me understand
What am I supposed to do I lost my shit because of you

this thread can only get worse, it started badly enough

Cuellar

Hey I heard them kids hired a slick pr firm to swing the narrative their way and it looks like you nerds fell for it!!!

Quote from: Cuellar on January 28, 2019, 07:01:49 PM
Hey I heard them kids hired a slick pr firm to swing the narrative their way and it looks like you nerds fell for it!!!

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 24, 2019, 05:37:17 PM
Biggy has, once again, presented the right wing counter-narrative as definitive. Whoopsie daisy, how on earth does that keep happening

looks like you nerds fell for the fake news narrative! why does this keep happening?

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/24/media/washington-post-sandmann-settlement-lawsuit/index.html

Famous Mortimer

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

(White people shouldn't be in America in the first place)

idunnosomename

great thanks no idea what this about, now fuck off

tao of wub

Biggy and Paulie why not move to Florida and enjoy hanging out in the villages with others who share your ideology.  Back pats all round every day at how strong conservative thinking has conquered all societies problems and truly made it so great there, no?

I mean it is all going so well over there... isn't it?