Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:37:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Jeff Goldblum Appreciation Thread.

Started by bgmnts, January 25, 2019, 09:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Finally getting around to watching Thor Ragnarok and I will say that I can't stand these Marvel films, every other second is a cringey, unfunny attempt at humour, they are shit and empty of any integrity. But I am a jader, cynical cunt.

However, Jeff Golblum is brilliant and it reminded me of how brilliant he is generally. He has that certain weird charm I like in actors, very few have it and that's probably why he has a cult following. He is awesome.

Celebrate him with me.

a duncandisorderly

Clownbaby

I love his appearances in Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job. That weird charm he has is a perfect fit for that show.

Kelvin

I literally started the exact same thread when he was doing the promotional tour for Ragnarok.

If anyone deserved two threads though it's Jeffity Jeff Jeff.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Famously in the only half decent Richard Curtis- scripted film.
Absolutely brilliant in anything he's in. Is it possible to actually *dislike* Jeff Goldblum ? I would suspect not.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 26, 2019, 02:41:40 PM
Famously in the only half decent Richard Curtis- scripted film.
Absolutely brilliant in anything he's in. Is it possible to actually *dislike* Jeff Goldblum ? I would suspect not.

If anyone did I'd section them immediately, the man's shockingly talented and I wish he was cast in more lead roles again.

Twed

Quote from: Clownbaby on January 25, 2019, 12:20:42 PM
I love his appearances in Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job. That weird charm he has is a perfect fit for that show.
If you haven't seen them, check out his bits in Portlandia. Very similar - both are edited by the same person and it shows.

St_Eddie

Brundle-Fly is my favourite performance of his.  The Fly is a great film.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

madhair60

Up there with Bill Murray as a meme actor

Brundle-Fly

Brundle-Fly

DrGreggles

rasta-spouse

That bit in Jurassic Park when Goldblum's goofing about in the automated tour car and Attenborough, watching him on CCTV, says "I hate that man". How we laughed.

St_Eddie

This thread has encouraged me to rewatch The Fly for the billionth time and in doing so, it just occurred to me that the film is essentially a modern day Romeo and Juliet.  Perhaps that's a trite observation and old hat but it's a fresh observation to me, in this moment, at least.  Anyway, back to watching one of the greatest films ever made...

greenman

Perhaps a less popular option but I quite liked the recent Independence Day sequel, yes its very silly and the young cast are largely free of personality but the film realises the appeal is putting Goldblum, Brent Spiner and Judd Hirsch onscreen as much as possible plus things exploding.

rasta-spouse

Just thinking once again about how cool Goldblum was in Jurassic Park. A scientist dressed all in black with shades rambling about chaos theory. And a minor character, but still, in terms of impact, up there with the two leads. One cool dude.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 28, 2019, 04:50:38 AM
This thread has encouraged me to rewatch The Fly for the billionth time and in doing so, it just occurred to me that the film is essentially a modern day Romeo and Juliet.  Perhaps that's a trite observation and old hat but it's a fresh observation to me, in this moment, at least.  Anyway, back to watching one of the greatest films ever made...

If you want a modern Rome and Juliet I recommend Tromeo and Juliet.

ElTwopo

I always loved that little speech he does in Independence Day: "God creates Man. Man destroys God. Man creates White House. Aliens destroy White House. Man destroys Aliens."

Kelvin

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 28, 2019, 02:23:37 PM
If you want a modern Rome and Juliet I recommend Tromeo and Juliet.

Yes, or Gnomeo and Juliet.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: ElTwopo on January 28, 2019, 09:39:25 PM
I always loved that little speech he does in Independence Day: "God creates Man. Man destroys God. Man creates White House. Aliens destroy White House. Man destroys Aliens."

That board with a nail in it may have defeated us, but the humans won't stop there. They'll make bigger boards and bigger nails. Soon they'll make a board with a nail so big it will destroy them all!

Clownbaby

Jeff Goldblum Steamed Hams

https://youtu.be/ZDkqJuUYBaw

I don't know why but I like that he doesn't recognise it as a scene from The Simpsons

Blumf

Just thinking, JG must have been in The Simpsons at one point, and yep, it was the episode A Fish Called Selma (S07E19) where he played Troy McClure's agent MacArthur Parker. Which, TBH, I would have never guessed.

bgmnts

Quote from: Clownbaby on January 29, 2019, 11:37:58 AM
Jeff Goldblum Steamed Hams

https://youtu.be/ZDkqJuUYBaw

I don't know why but I like that he doesn't recognise it as a scene from The Simpsons

I understand he was busy having a successful career but fuck me how can you not recognise early Simpsons material.

Is it just as Brits who love the show??

Sebastian Cobb

Maybe he just ran with it?

During golden-era Simpsons he'd have been in his 40's, and as you say, being successful.

the science eel

He does a sort of 'turn' as a slightly fruity lecturer in that thing with Jim Broadbent - I think it's called Weekend or something. Anyway I laughed at every line he delivered - not quite sure why, really. But the charisma was almost tangible. Worth watching the film (which is pretty good) for his performance alone. An absolute joy.

Twed

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 29, 2019, 04:21:22 PM
During golden-era Simpsons he'd have been in his 40's, and as you say, being successful.
Damn, imagine being as old as he is and looking that good.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on January 29, 2019, 09:19:27 PM
Damn, imagine being as old as he is and looking that good.

Genetics, ain't it?

Drink deep or taste not the plasma spring, see what I'm saying?

Jeff Goldblum is great, but can society finally recognize that the greatest Jurassic Park alumnus/Thor Ragnarok thespian/lovable oddball is Sam Neill?

mothman

^Anyone following Neill and the fortunes of his NZ vineyard would have to agree you have a point. In recent years he's developed quite the eclectic filmography, lots of amusing cameos (as indeed in Ragnarok). His Cinema of Unease documentary on NZ film (from 25 years ago now) is great. It seems to me that his failed Bond audition from the mid-80s marked a move away from leading man stuff to supporting/character roles. Really he needs his own thread, how do you get a [Split Topic] going?