Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:20:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Books you want to/have 'hate read'.

Started by Sebastian Cobb, January 25, 2019, 01:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I'm half-tempted to read Richard Littlejohn's To Hell in a Handcart just to see how fucking awful it'll be.

Clownbaby

I'm looking forward to reading E L James' new abortion/book when that comes out

fatguyranting

Jim Davidson's first autobiography- there have been more since sadly. In it he tells of the time he dropped some LSD and turned into the devil when he looked into the mirror. The only point he in his life where he ever reached a level of self realisation I'd suggest. It's chock full of tales of boozing and dolly birds but doesn't get anywhere near the levels of sexy bragging as Shane Richie's 'From Rags to Richie' which has lurid descriptions of knobbing on almost every page. Both were disturbingly enjoyable as they didn't appear ghost written, letting the two light entertainers internal voices infect the pages like blue veins on stilton.

PlanktonSideburns

Panbaams

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 25, 2019, 01:42:00 PM
I'm half-tempted to read Richard Littlejohn's To Hell in a Handcart just to see how fucking awful it'll be.

In a similar vein, I'd like to read either of Jon Gaunt's books. I think he probably modelled himself on Richard Littlejohn, but then spectacularly got himself fired from the biggest job he ever had and has been forced to eke out some sort of crappy living for himself ever since.

Captain Crunch

I did see James O'Brien's book in the library today complete with his horrible punchable fat lipless little boat on the cover.  Not even for a laugh. 

samadriel

Fucking 'Life of Pi', had to read that shite for a class once.  Absolute wank.

mojo filters

Fox News and NRA TV hack Dan Bongo's Spygate: The Attempted Sabotage of Donald J. Trump - unfortunately it hasn't proved popular enough for me to illegally download the ebook or audiobook yet!

I did find Newt Gingrich's undoubtedly weighty tome Understanding Trump through devious means, but sadly have yet to find time to hear his rock-ribbed roaring rendition I'm sure the audiobook will promise.

steveh

Was given The Martian as a present which I knew I wasn't going to enjoy but had run out of new books to read. Was closer to a Gantt chart than a novel.

Icehaven

I haven't read it cover to cover but have read enough of Nick Owen's autobiog "In The Time Of Nick" to be fairly confident it must have been at least partly the inspiration for "I, Partridge". Even the cover is similar.

All Surrogate

Mein Kampf.  Obviously it's vile, but my curiosity pushed me to read it through.  There's a self-contradictory element that runs through, whereby the german people are simultaneously wonderful and generally stupid and manipulable.  The only other thing that I can recall as remotely interesting in it, is that he felt pity for jewish people when he was a child.

the midnight watch baboon

Quote from: All Surrogate on January 26, 2019, 01:26:12 PM
Mein Kampf.  Obviously it's vile, but my curiosity pushed me to read it through.  There's a self-contradictory element that runs through, whereby the german people are simultaneously wonderful and generally stupid and manipulable.  The only other thing that I can recall as remotely interesting in it, is that he felt pity for jewish people when he was a child.

Sounds fun. Who's it by?

mothman

I had to give up reading Christopher Hitchens' autobiography because not only was his sheer arrogance driving me mad, I found that reading a bit just before bed meant he started narrating my dreams as well.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: mothman on January 26, 2019, 05:04:01 PM
I had to give up reading Christopher Hitchens' autobiography because not only was his sheer arrogance driving me mad, I found that reading a bit just before bed meant he started narrating my dreams as well.

This happened to me with Partridge and lasted for ages.

One author I've been meaning to read purely to sneer at is Ayn Rand. Maybe it'll be a revelation, who knows.

eifion

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on January 26, 2019, 05:55:29 PM
One author I've been meaning to read purely to sneer at is Ayn Rand. Maybe it'll be a revelation, who knows.

It's not. I dragged myself through all 1,000 pages of Atlas Shrugged a few years ago despite it hammering home the same point again and again and again.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: eifion on January 26, 2019, 06:10:59 PM
It's not. I dragged myself through all 1,000 pages of Atlas Shrugged a few years ago despite it hammering home the same point again and again and again.

Communist!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: All Surrogate on January 26, 2019, 01:26:12 PM

My old history teacher said more than anything it was just tedious.

Dithering about buying William F. Buckley Jr.'s' God and Man at Yale because I've been reading a lot of Gore Vidal and Norman Mailer and I feel it might fill out the picture of the period. I already got a book of Buckley's essays, but God and Man is still recurrently cited as the definitive work. Running the risk that it might be extreme drivel though

shiftwork2

Not quite hate but certainly morbid curiosity for Out Of The Stewpot by Ed Stewart, a name that surely gets a 'who?' from anyone under 45.  Danny Baker gave a famous review to this old Radio 1 DJ's autobiography, highlighting its repetitive score-settling and banal observations.  £1.53 on Amazon.  2019 is my year for this lads / ladies.  Crackerjack!

flotemysost

I was at a work away day/workshop type thing a couple of years ago and the attendees were given a 'goody bag', the contents of which included a copy of Maestra by L. S. Hilton (which was marketed as a classy highbrow thriller, but is essentially a bonkbuster with a bit of murder chucked in). Why on earth they chose that particular book, I've got no idea - there are some fairly graphic scenes that I can imagine wouldn't be up everyone's street - but I did quite enjoy it for its schlockiness. More a guilty pleasure than a hate read really.

Tried reading one of James Patterson's seventy million books but couldn't get past the first chapter.

Also, I remember being bored at a family do in a pub when I was about 12 and pulling a book from a decorative bookcase, which turned out to be a Jeffery Archer tale of espionage and derring-do, full of sub-Bond cliches and terrible dialogue. I read the whole thing in a sitting but I remember thinking it was shit.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: flotemysost on January 26, 2019, 10:55:46 PM
L. S. Hilton

I thought you meant SE Hinton (of The Outsiders fame) and imagined her career must've taken a weird turn.

Large Noise

About to start the Jordan Peterson book. Just finished 'Factfulness' by Hans Rosling, had to hate read that cause someone lent it to me.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: shiftwork2 on January 26, 2019, 10:49:51 PM
Not quite hate but certainly morbid curiosity for Out Of The Stewpot by Ed Stewart, a name that surely gets a 'who?' from anyone under 45.  Danny Baker gave a famous review to this old Radio 1 DJ's autobiography, highlighting its repetitive score-settling and banal observations.  £1.53 on Amazon.  2019 is my year for this lads / ladies.  Crackerjack!

in this book, I gather, he recounts meeting his future wife when she was 13 years old & falling in lust with her then & there, & negotiating with her parents for some sort of arrangement... I think he was about 30 at the time, iirc.

from the book: "I met my wife when she was 13, in 1970..." P.146
"...my wife started on my stomach – and nothing else! – when she was 13..." P.147

& from the express obit: Stewart, aged nearly 30, had gone to visit Jimmy Henney, the manager of American singer Glen Campbell when he was greeted at the door "by what I can only describe as a 13-year-old apparition," he wrote. "She was simply stunning."

not exactly 'margrave of the marshes', though, pondering that, not a million miles away either.

Quote from: mothman on January 26, 2019, 05:04:01 PM

got this in kindle, been putting it off. >puts it off again<

Bogbrainedmurphy

Got to be Tim "football influencer" Lovejoy's book, destroyed so brilliantly by WSC

https://mobile.twitter.com/WSC_magazine/status/573456268297404416

samadriel

Oh, that reminds me...

As memorably excerpted on 'Get This'...  Seemingly a very bitter piece of work.  I'd love to read it though.

Dannyhood91

Moby Dick.

Obviously there is some genuine beauty in there but a very sizeable chunk is dedicated to Herman pissing on about Wale Biology, clearly something that he was very very interested in and this made it a pain to get through. Still the bits that aren't wale biology are good.