Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:05:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Flying V

Started by kalowski, January 25, 2019, 11:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Ultimate guitar for cunts

Funcrusher

Bob Mould played one in Husker Du.

Shaky

Quote from: Funcrusher on January 25, 2019, 11:10:24 PM
Bob Mould played one in Husker Du.

True, and Bob is ace, but it's still a really shitty looking guitar.

Ferris

Part of me wonders if it is so shit it is actually great.

Flouncer

I do secretly think they're kind of cool, but you'd look such a massive bell if you played one. Explorers are kind of in this category too (you can probably get away with it if you play metal, but anything else and you're veering into massive bell territory).

easytarget

Nah, early Metallica, Husker Du, Judas Priest, Randy Rhodes all played Flying Vs (or V-esq pointy guitars)
Paul Reed Smith is the ultimate guitar for worthless millionaire lawyer dickheads.

3 grand's "worth" of bird necked bullshit right there. Ooooh can you feel the shitty blues solo? Oooooooh!
Go fuck yourself "paul" "reed" "smith".

It is hard to play a flying V sitting down though.

Ferris

Surely you play with the v over your knee, like a Spanish classical guitar? More of a pain than any of my guitars (Fender Tele custom and an ES-335 if anyone is keeping track)

Flouncer

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 26, 2019, 03:23:01 PM
Surely you play with the v over your knee, like a Spanish classical guitar? More of a pain than any of my guitars (Fender Tele custom and an ES-335 if anyone is keeping track)

I have played one in a guitar shop years ago - they have a serrated rubber strip on the lower bout for friction so you can supposedly play them sitting down, but it's definitely more of a strap guitar.

kngen

Quote from: easytarget on January 26, 2019, 06:15:03 AM
Nah, early Metallica, Husker Du, Judas Priest, Randy Rhodes all played Flying Vs (or V-esq pointy guitars)
Paul Reed Smith is the ultimate guitar for worthless millionaire lawyer dickheads.

3 grand's "worth" of bird necked bullshit right there. Ooooh can you feel the shitty blues solo? Oooooooh!

This is the truest post to ever appear on CAB. All glories to you, easytarget.

kalowski

OK. I can agree with this.

sevendaughters

PRS guitars are just the diet appletise of tone, awful pieces of shit. Flying Vs say I WANNA ROCK and I saw Jay Reatard absolutely destroy using one and as such free pass for life.

Ferris

Quote from: Flouncer on January 26, 2019, 03:38:12 PM
I have played one in a guitar shop years ago - they have a serrated rubber strip on the lower bout for friction so you can supposedly play them sitting down, but it's definitely more of a strap guitar.

That's a tacit acknowledgement that they're a bit of a pain in the arse to deal with.

Spiteface

PRS guitars are the sole domain of Nu-Metal bands, Carlos Santana, and John Mayer when you don't like Fender anymore but still want a fucking strat:   

Although I remember when Gibson were going to release a Jimi Hendrix Strat. I shit you not.

DrGreggles

Ferris

Quote from: Spiteface on January 26, 2019, 07:21:06 PM
Although I remember when Gibson were going to release a Jimi Hendrix Strat. I shit you not.

Haha fucking hell

easytarget

Quote from: Spiteface on January 26, 2019, 07:21:06 PM
PRS guitars are the sole domain of Nu-Metal bands
I always think of 7or more string Ibanezez as the weapon of choice for nu metal bands.

popcorn

For me the ultimate shit for cunts are bass guitars with more than four strings.

If you're playing one of these you're playing music I hate.

kalowski

Quote from: popcorn on January 27, 2019, 07:49:30 AM
For me the ultimate shit for cunts are bass guitars with more than four strings.

Please add the fretless bass to this. Get a fucking double bass if you don't want frets.

DrGreggles

As a (rather limited) bass player, I've rarely found a need for 4 strings let alone 6.
Or 5! What about those cunts?

buzby

That's most of New Order's output up to 1986 then.

What about B.C. Rich's range of comedy-shaped  'METAL' guitars?

And to top the thread starter, how about their 'Vampire's Tooth' double necked Flying Vee?

kalowski

What the hell is the point of that double necked guitar? Two six string guitars? Surely the point of a double neck is to allow a player to have a 12 string and a 6 string at the same time?

Flouncer

You can have two different tunings on the go without switching guitars or retuning... Yeah, a bit pointless really.

Oh, and there's nowt wrong with the fretless bass! Double basses are a right pain in the arse and they cost a fucking fortune.

popcorn

Quote from: buzby on January 27, 2019, 12:02:37 PM
That's most of New Order's output up to 1986 then.

Yes, it also means I can't like Graceland. Which is a shame.

Rizla

I own several guitars, they are all quite polite really apart from my black Firebird VII which is my sex guitar.

purlieu

Rick Nielsen here to tell you all to fuck off.

MiddleRabbit

I agree with pretty much all of this, especially the PRS and the more-than-four-strings-on-a-bass thing.

Headless guitars are always a no-no, as are those with more than six strings.  This one manages both.  It may be the worst guitar I've ever seen.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/static/article/news/9/77539_0_wide_ver1532547236.jpg@642

Check out John Lennon's atrocity during Double Fantasy too.

https://www.umanovguitars.com/media/cache/53/fa/53faf82bca8b9def32f1a71e31991c78.jpg

kalowski

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on January 27, 2019, 01:06:08 PM
I agree with pretty much all of this, especially the PRS and the more-than-four-strings-on-a-bass thing.

Headless guitars are always a no-no, as are those with more than six strings.  This one manages both.  It may be the worst guitar I've ever seen.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/static/article/news/9/77539_0_wide_ver1532547236.jpg@642

Check out John Lennon's atrocity during Double Fantasy too.

https://www.umanovguitars.com/media/cache/53/fa/53faf82bca8b9def32f1a71e31991c78.jpg
I have a 12-string and it sounds lovely (it's a cheap model but does the job)

Flouncer

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on January 27, 2019, 01:06:08 PMHeadless guitars are always a no-no...

Daevid Allen used to play a Steinberger guitar in his later years...

They're very compact and stand up to travelling well, and don't weigh much so they're good for people with bad backs. They do look a bugger, though.

purlieu

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on January 27, 2019, 01:06:08 PM
Headless guitars are always a no-no, as are those with more than six strings.
Stephan Micus's 14 string guitar, which can be strung in several ways (double strings, 10 single strings, resonance / sympathetic strings like a sitar) is a lovely instrument that he uses a lot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1ZQfAEeZL0
A long way from the rock'n'roll excess of most of this thread, though.